Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My problem with aromatics

This is a discussion on My problem with aromatics within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I'm gonna make this as straight forward and simple as possible. I love aromatics. I love the way the tobacco ...

My problem with aromatics

I'm gonna make this as straight forward and simple as possible. I love aromatics. I love the way the tobacco smells, and I love the way it tastes........for about the first third of the bowl. I have noticed with aromatics that they taste great for about the first third of the bowl. After that they seem to lose their taste and fragrance and just get harsh. Maybe it's just me or the way I smoke. I don't know. All I know is that I get this same impression with just about every aromatic I smoke. Even my absolute favorite, Dan's Sweet vanilla Honeydew, just gets awful about half way through the bowl. I just have to stop smoking it and empty the bowl. It's getting to the point where I feel like I'm throwing away half of my tobacco.

Your thoughts?........

Re: My problem with aromatics

Hmm, perhaps they are a little bit on the moist side, or you are smoking them a little bit hot?

For me, if I'm smoking quickly, the experience quickly becomes less than enjoyable. I've never had Sweet Honeydew, but is it fairly moist?

Another possibility is that you are smoking blends with very mild tobaccos under the topping & they just don't taste like much after you get used to it.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Maturing Puffer Fish

Are you smoking too fast? It can build up heat and steam causing a wet, harsh, and unpleasant smoke. Not saying this is your problem, just something to consider.

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

I don't get that with Dan SVH, but then I take very small sips and never let the bowl get hot. If I don't, it bites the crap out of my tongue.
    That being said, most aros I've tried do tend to get less-than-pleasant toward the end. It's my biggest aversion to them.

Have you tried Deep Hollow? That's one I can burn down a long way - to the point it doesn't want to stay lit - and it's still tasty.

I don't know. I don't think I'm smoking too fast but who knows. I usually light, smoke in small puffs for 15-20 seconds, then put the pipe down for a few minutes. Rinse and repeat. Once I get the bowl down half way or so, I can let the pipe sit for 10 minutes, letting it completely cool down, and it still tastes bad. Maybe my taste buds just get so affected by pipe smoke that they are making me think it tastes bad when it really doesn't. I have no idea. It's just frustrating.

Either...

Smoke in a meerschaum or clay where you can toss the bowl when you are no loner enjoying it with impunity. No cake required, so no need to make sure you build one properly to the heel. Tobacco is so inexpensive in the US that it seems ridiculous to torture yourself.

Or...

Smoke a blend made with better base tobaccos.

I've found that Peterson's Special Reserve suits the bill. Simply splendid tobaccos with an outrageous topping. That does fade towards the bottom of the bowl, but the tobacco-ey goodness sustains the smoke to the end. I'd happily smoke it "straight". I have a stock of the 2012 version (It's highly recommended) but I hope and expect that the subsequent years will be similarly good. That, Peterson's Luxury Mixture (or some such name - similar topping but not as extreme) and Davidiff Red Mixture (less, but still very good tobaccos) are the only aromatics I've found that have that quality and I don't tire of smoking.

Oh. And make sure you do smoke slowly.

I don't dry tobaccos; I've never seen the need for it. Wet tobacco tends to go out - you can live with that, just relight; dry tobacco stays lit but smokes hot IM(not so)HO.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Have you tried many full-bodied, full-flavored aromatics?

-SG 1792
    -SG Chocolate Flake
    -SG Firedance Flake
    -SG Kendal Cream Flake
    -SG Perfection Mixture
    -Erinmore Flake
    -Peterson's Perfect Plug
    -C&D Blockade Runner
    -Any of the G&H aromatics

Edit: Also, Robert's above suggestions are quite good.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Maybe when I get ready to place another order I'll try a few of those. I've tried many aromatics and keep getting the same results.

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

I tried Erinmore

Not. For. Me.
    Felt like I was licking the floor of a flower shop.

Only load half a bowl and see if it tastes good all the way to the end. Maybe your pipe isn't broken in correctly to the bottom. I know, I am reaching here.
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

After every bowl I smoke I clean out my bowl and stem with everclear. That wouldn't be messing anything up would it?

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Perry72 View Post
    After every bowl I smoke I clean out my bowl and stem with everclear. That wouldn't be messing anything up would it?
    An old timer once said to me and i quote.
    "Your pipe can never be too clean"
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman22 View Post
    Only load half a bowl and see if it tastes good all the way to the end.
    This actually isn't a bad idea. I have a couple pipes (bent in particular) that when really loaded to capacity can never make it to the finish without excessive gurgling and a souring in flavor. That said, Aros are my favorite type of pipe tobacco and I find erring on the side of dry, sipping slowly, and cleaning the stem out well between pipes are the best ways to ensure a nice flavorful smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    An old timer once said to me and i quote.
    "Your pipe can never be too clean"
    For the stem, bit and draught drilling up to the bowl, that certainly applies. Clean is better. But I'd leave the bowl to its own devices so that "cake magic" can develop. The chamber will be burnt clean enough in my opinion.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

I wouldn't do that on the bowl unless you aren't dedicating pipes. The stem can never be to clean but as mentioned, a little cake helps insulate the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry72 View Post
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast