Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

My meerschum seems to deliver less flavourfull smokes than my briars

This is a discussion on My meerschum seems to deliver less flavourfull smokes than my briars within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; The same tobaccos smoked in my meer are different and less flavourful than when I smoke them in my briars. ...

My meerschum seems to deliver less flavourfull smokes than my briars

The same tobaccos smoked in my meer are different and less flavourful than when I smoke them in my briars. My meerschaum is one of t
    those carved turkish ones. It is block, not pressed - I did the tongue test.

Is this something that will cease with use or do I have to live with this bearded pirate stealing flavours from my tobaccos?

Re: My meerschum seems to deliver less flavourfull smokes than my briars

Is it new? I usually have to run a tin through a meer before the tobacco really starts tasting right. At first it just taste kind of hollow or something.
    ********.com

Puffer Fish with some spikes BrSpiritus's Avatar

Meerschaum is like a stone sponge, it sucks out the oils, tars and crap from the tobacco smoke which is what gives it the coloration to brown over time. When new they're extra porous so you need to break them in with a lot of burley until some coloration starts. My meers smoke well and if anything I have ghosting problems with them since they're handmedowns from my grandfather and he smoked them a a lot but didn't take care of them well. Guess I just live with it since a salt treatment is out of the question.

I know it's heresy, but I think you are right. With briar pipes you smoke the cake, not the pipe. The flavour is richer and better for some tobaccos. Well maintained meerschaums have very little or no cake. I find that some tobaccos are better suited to a meerschaum for their "cleaner" taste. Germain's Royal Jersey Perique is best (for me) in a meerschaum or clay. Their Rich Dark Flake needs a well caked briar.

One point, however. Is the meerschaum "general duty" or dedicated to a particular blend or at least type? They do ghost, but the effect is less marked as most of the taint is exorcised when any cake is removed. But if it's used for a mix of many tobacco types everything will tend towards being the same. That might account for the dulling of flavours.

(I made a similar observation about corn cob pipes - mine used for EMP exclusively for almost 100g of tobacco. The taste is muted when compared to a decent, well caked briar. Heresy!)
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by BrSpiritus View Post
    Meerschaum is like a stone sponge, it sucks out the oils, tars and crap from the tobacco smoke which is what gives it the coloration to brown over time.
    This is so true. While initially it sounds like a good thing, when you consider how much of the flavor is in these byproducts of the smoke you can see why many will agree a meerschaum is not always the best way to get a full representation of a blend.

Full grown Puffer Fish Thirston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Is it new? I usually have to run a tin through a meer before the tobacco really starts tasting right. At first it just taste kind of hollow or something.
    What he said. I'm always disappointed and then the pipe turns the corner.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Well you will always have different take aways from those pipes as everything about them is different time won't change that. Meer is considered by many to be flavorless meaning it adds little or nothing to experience like briar and other woods can. I don't personally care for meer unless its an insert in a calibash and even then a briar insert can be a better option. Some use on the meer will help in terms of the overall experience with that pipe as with any pipe but it will likely be minimal. This is one of the fun parts of pipe smoking every single pipe has its own unique smoke like a finger print. I love it keep on puffing

It would seem the no break in period is a bit of a myth.

So it sounds like I need to smoke the heck out of it. I guess that's a problem I want to have.

Quote Originally Posted by blackadam View Post
    It would seem the no break in period is a bit of a myth
    I'm not entirely convinced. It certainly takes some time to get the best out of any pipe. Whether that's the pipe needing breaking in - which is certainly the case for briars; a good cake is essential - or simply needing to subtly adjust technique to suit the pipe is debatable.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Wizard of the puff shire Gandalf The Gray's Avatar

Turkish Meerschaum Pipe Care

"Fill the bowl to the top. The bowl is seasoned by the tobacco itself and gives the truest taste of your tobacco blend."

I am not expert on the subject, but I found the statement above interesting...

Wizard of the puff shire Gandalf The Gray's Avatar

Update: Got one of the pipes today, and I have to say. This is a really lovely pipe. It has a great shine to it, and it is heavy. It's actually heavier then any briar pipe I have, I'm not sure if that is normal with meers or not. But I like it, I just need to clean some oxidization up on the stem and wipe the bowl out and I'm guessing she will be ready to go.