Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Sanitizing Meerschaum pipes?

This is a discussion on Sanitizing Meerschaum pipes? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So, I went just a little meer crazy and picked up a few pipes on ebay. I am waiting on ...

Wizard of the puff shire Gandalf The Gray's Avatar

Sanitizing Meerschaum pipes?

So, I went just a little meer crazy and picked up a few pipes on ebay. I am waiting on them, but before they arrive I want to ask how the meer smokers of the forums would/do season estate meerschaum pipes or pre-owned pipes?

The two I snagged..

No longer a community member.

Re: Sanitizing Meerschaum pipes?

When I have bought used meers I simply clean up the stems with booze and pipe cleaners and don't worry too much about the bowl. Fire will kill any germs present the first time you burn it. Nice finds by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    When I have bought used meers I simply clean up the stems with booze and pipe cleaners and don't worry too much about the bowl. Fire will kill any germs present the first time you burn it. Nice finds by the way!
    Hmm, Simple enough . I When they arrive I will booze down the stems and maybe wipe the bowls out with a wet paper towel, and let fire do the rest. Thank you for you're input kind sir.

Not wet! You don't want the pipe to absorb water. Just use a dry one.
    ********.com

Puffer Fish with some spikes BrSpiritus's Avatar

It'll probably cause consternation among the crew here but I've swabbed the bowls of my meers with a q-tip very lightly dipped in 151 Rum. Helps to remove any ghosting from the bowl, such as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BrSpiritus View Post
    It'll probably cause consternation among the crew here but I've swabbed the bowls of my meers with a q-tip very lightly dipped in 151 Rum. Helps to remove any ghosting from the bowl, such as it is.
    That makes sense. With the 151 I doubt there is much moisture at all to really stay in the bowl. The majority would evaporate out very quickly. Bacardi is what I prefer to use when cleaning my steams and doing salt treatments on my briars.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Not wet! You don't want the pipe to absorb water. Just use a dry one.
    That makes sense. With the 151 I doubt there is much moisture at all to really stay in the bowl. The majority would evaporate out very quickly. Bacardi is what I prefer to use when cleaning my steams and doing salt treatments on my briars.
    Okay, so no water but Spirits is ok to wipe the bowl down with.

Quote Originally Posted by BrSpiritus View Post
    No, I've used grain alcohol in mine; I figure it evaporates quickly enough to not worry about it.
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf The Gray View Post
    Okay, so no water but Spirits is ok to wipe the bowl down with.
    To clarify, I have not wiped a meer bowl with 151, I was just commenting that the idea seemed reasonable. ( IOW please don't hold me accountable if you do and it isn't the best idea ) Louis seemed to make the point that he uses a small tiny amount ("q-tip very lightly dipped"), so I wouldn't just wet a paper towel with rum and go to town (that's perfectly good rum to go in your belly anyhow)

To clarify, I have not wiped a meer bowl with 151, I was just commenting that the idea seemed reasonable. ( IOW please don't hold me accountable if you do and it isn't the best idea ) Louis seemed to make the point that he uses a small tiny amount ("q-tip very lightly dipped"), so I wouldn't just wet a paper towel with rum and go to town (that's perfectly good rum to go in your belly anyhow)

Lol, Are you afraid I am going to file a lawsuit against you if it goes horribly wrong?
    I am just gathering some ideas for right now, I will see how bad the bowls are for starters. If they are not bad at all I might just wipe them down with a dry paper towel like Mark mentioned. If they have some cake or are just really gunked up, I will move into using just a small ( ) amount of spirit to lightly wipe the bowl with.

Puffer Fish with some spikes BrSpiritus's Avatar

Add me to the fray and you have a class action lawsuit. We'll settle out of court for $60, you get 10 cents and the lawyers get the rest lol