Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Capstan Blue Flake & Three Nuns

This is a discussion on Capstan Blue Flake & Three Nuns within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Louis, you and I are in the same boat. I mostly smoke VA or a VA that is slightly mixed ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Re: Capstan Blue Flake & Three Nuns

Louis, you and I are in the same boat. I mostly smoke VA or a VA that is slightly mixed with something else. It's funny too, because when I started smoking it was 100% english/lat blends. Guess you start smoking what the guys around you do and then find your way. To be honest if it wasn't for this forum idk if i would have ever tried anything besides eng/lat blends. Now I hardly smoke them!

Puffer Fish with some spikes BrSpiritus's Avatar

The guys around me smoked pipes but not the type for tobacco but it was Baltimore so what else can you expect? My grandfathers both died long before I took up pipe smoking so I really had no one to mentor me, I went it alone and this was the 90's before the internet really got going. I found some help from the old alt.pipes on Fidonet and learned through trial and error. Back then I took to smoking what my grandfather smoked, Edgeworth Sliced and Ready Rubbed. Now that venerable blend is gone and there is nothing quite like it but then again my tastes changed over the years. I gave up the pipe in 2000 in favor of cigars and cigarettes, then gave up the cigars in 2007 and in 2009 took up the pipe again and had to relearn everything. Thankfully this forum was instrumental in teaching me the tricks of the trade and I especially am thankful to Dublinthedam for his wonderful Youtube videos. My life went haywire in 2011 and I gave up the pipe again in favor of cigarettes(eww). It's only been about 3 weeks ago when I stopped smoking cigarettes cold turkey that I dug out my pipes, cleaned off the dust and gave them a good cleaning in general. I had an unopened tin of Wessex Burley Slices from 2010 that I cracked open and now here I am again amongst the brotherhood of the briar. I only had to sign an agreement with my wife to control the TAD, she let me order 4 tins to get started and I can get 2 tins every payday

Seems like a fair deal you have with the wife! I highly recommend revisiting the HV immediately! This along with Stoney are really the only 2 tobaccos that I NEED! I usually have 4-6 tins open at once and very rarely are those 2 not among them. It's nice that HV has become a bit easier to acquire as of late, but the Stoney is still a pain!

Anything esoterica is a pain to get and the worst thing is I have 6 tins of 2009 Penzance in storage in the Philippines with my in-laws along with maybe 20 other tins of various SG tobaccos. Someday I'll go back to visit and all I can think is I'll have some really well aged tobacco when I do. I remember not so long ago SG tobacco was impossible to find, I swear these things follow like a roller coaster and you just need to grad the rare blends when they're available, TAD be damned.

I completely agree with you. FVF was impossible to find for months now you can buy as much of it as you want. Same with the HV, but not to the extent of the FVF. The only constant is Stoney & Penzance. Luckily I have a good supply of Penzance compared to how often I smoke Eng/Lat blends so I've actually passed it up the last 2 times I've seen it. Stoney on the other hand I will never pass up!!!

Last time I remember Stonehaven being in stock it sold out in a day, never have been able to try it and at this point I don't want to because I may love it and not be able to get it. The only thing OOS right now is John Aylesbury's Summerhill, a departure from what we have been talking about but IMHO one of the best Danish Aromatics to be had. I'm not a big aro smoker (except for SG FDF) but they have a place in my cellar for when the urge hits me. Next order I'm going to get some Craftsbury Collection Frog Morton's Cellar and a tin of SG Kendal Cream Flake.

Yeah, I don't smoke many Aros either. I will say that I absolutely love SG Grousemoor though! Dan Tobacco Blue Note isn't too bad either, but I haven't smoked that in a while. There are a few out there I've wanted to try (Esoterica Blackpool, SG Jubilee, and C&D Chestnuts Roasting), but my luck with Aros has gone so poorly that I hate to waste $$$ on the tins so they've been pushed to the backburner.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Capstan is one of my favorite blends. The perfect all day smoke for me. I'm glad it's available here. I was fortunate to have a friend in Europe who would send me tins, but I always hated to bother him. I too would agree it is more akin to blends like HV than FVF.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMikePA View Post
    Yeah, I don't smoke many Aros either. I will say that I absolutely love SG Grousemoor though! Dan Tobacco Blue Note isn't too bad either, but I haven't smoked that in a while. There are a few out there I've wanted to try (Esoterica Blackpool, SG Jubilee, and C&D Chestnuts Roasting), but my luck with Aros has gone so poorly that I hate to waste $$$ on the tins so they've been pushed to the backburner.
    I never thought much of Grousemoor until I tried it in a Meerschaum pipe and then the flavor really sang for me. I've tried C&D aros before but they seem to be all over the place with them. Their Nutty Irishman was excellent, but Autumn Evening is more burnt butterscotch than maple, Blockade Runner is a nice Cavendish with a hint of rum and I love manhattan afternoon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2