Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Sublime Pipe Smoking Moment...

This is a discussion on A Sublime Pipe Smoking Moment... within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

A Sublime Pipe Smoking Moment...

A bowl of Capstan surrounded by a cathedral of giant redwoods....

"Every tree has its enemy, few have an advocate. In all my works I take the part of trees against all their enemies”. - JRR Tolkien

I think JRR would approve. Hard not to think of him when smoking a bowl of Capstan in a place like this.

We just returned from a summer vacation along the Southern Oregon/Northern California coast. Had a chance to hike in the Redwood State Parks. A truly magical place. Here are a few more pictures from Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park. Unfortunately, I only had a small pocket camera with me, so the photos don't do justice to the place.

Here are a few with my wife in them to give a sense of scale:

“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Re: A Sublime Pipe Smoking Moment...

Nice pictures!

Full grown Puffer Fish Thirston's Avatar

The pictures look really great! Thanks for sharing. That's one redwood forest I still have to visit and its been on my list for a long time. Probably been awhile since those tree's were visited by a piper.

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post

Was this a victory pipe after cutting down that tree with a herring?
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

Puffer Fish with some spikes BrSpiritus's Avatar

You almost expect Treebeard to come around the corner...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Er999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrSpiritus View Post
    Yes, I wonder what he would say if he saw pipers in the forest.....

Great pictures John!

I've never been, but that sure looks like the perfect place to enjoy a bowl of Capstan. I can't believe how big those trees are.....

You did Tolkien proud
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
    Was this a victory pipe after cutting down that tree with a herring?
    Of course. But I didn't cut the tree down, I wouldn't dare do that (see below.) I reserve my axe for orc necks. The tree perished after a long and enjoyable life and had fallen across the path. I simply cut a bit of it away to make the trail easier for those that followed.

Quote Originally Posted by BrSpiritus View Post
    Indeed! My thoughts exactly. I live in Oregon so I'm used to big trees and deep forests, but there is nothing quite like this, at least in my experience. The huge size of all the trees certainly does make one feel like a hobbit. It also wouldn't have surprised me one bit to have Sasquatch appear, sit next to me on the bench, take out his pipe, and join me in a smoke. The one word that comes to my mind is primeval.

Quote Originally Posted by Er999 View Post
    Yes, I wonder what he would say if he saw pipers in the forest.....
    Well, he's seen Gandalf and the others smoke, but still, I think it's best if we told him we waited for the tobacco to die of old age before we gathered and smoked it.
    Last edited by indigosmoke; 08-28-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    Great pictures John!

I've never been, but that sure looks like the perfect place to enjoy a bowl of Capstan. I can't believe how big those trees are.....

You did Tolkien proud
    It's great to see you here. Hope all is well with you and yours. It was an amazing experience. I can't wait to get back down there and explore some of the other groves we missed. Apparently, these trees aren't even among the largest, which staggers the mind. There is also a grove of true giants hidden somewhere in this particular park, but there are no official trails that lead to it. We'd start out in the mornings and it would be still, quiet and foggy and by afternoon the haze would have burned off and the sunlight would fall among the trees in dazzling dapple patterns to be followed by the eerie green-greys of twilight. There were no crowds. In fact, we had the trails to ourselves most of the time. I'd highly recommend a trip here for anyone who loves trees.

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    Nice pictures!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirston View Post
    The pictures look really great! Thanks for sharing. That's one redwood forest I still have to visit and its been on my list for a long time. Probably been awhile since those tree's were visited by a piper.
    I want to visit all of the parks now, that's for sure. Any favorite spots?

It probably has been a while since the smell of pipe tobacco graced that grove! Hopefully you'll get to visit soon with your pipe. As I was in CA, I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen an elf emerge from behind a tree and ask me to extinguish my vile weed. One would probably get less grief for smoking another leafy substance in such a locale, I imagine. Peace, out!
    Last edited by indigosmoke; 08-28-2013 at 05:56 PM.

It's great to see you here. Hope all is well with you and yours. It was an amazing experience. I can't wait to get back down there and explore some of the other groves we missed. Apparently, these trees aren't even among the largest, which staggers the mind. There is also a grove of true giants hidden somewhere in this particular park, but there are no official trails that lead to it. We'd start out in the mornings and it would be still, quiet and foggy and by afternoon the haze would have burned off and the sunlight would fall among the trees in dazzling dapple patterns to be followed by the eerie green-greys of twilight. There were no crowds. In fact, we had the trails to ourselves most of the time. I'd highly recommend a trip here for anyone who loves trees.
    I'm glad to be back around & more active too. How are things going with you lately?

Your description of that place sounds so amazing, perhaps that will have to be on our next family road trip!

I have a tin of Capstan that I got from you actually, must have been at least a year ago now, I might have to dig it out of the cellar soon......
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Er999's Avatar

The huge size of all the trees certainly does make one feel like a hobbit. It also wouldn't have surprised me one bit to have Sasquatch appear, sit next to me on the bench, take out his pipe, and join me in a smoke. The one word that comes to my mind is primeval.
    Would not have been surprised if that actually happened....and if it happened to me, I would probably exchange baccy blends with him and talked about favorite pipe styles....

Well, he's seen Gandalf and the others smoke, but still, I think it's best if we told him we waited for the tobacco to die of old age before we gathered and smoked it.
    True, true....

Puffer Fish with some spikes BrSpiritus's Avatar

I think I need to go buy a tin of 3 nuns and find a lamppost in a wood to go smoke by...

Wow, that looks incredible.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Those are some serious trees you've got. Definitely a fine spot for a contemplative bowl or three.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast