Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

savinelli aroma pipe tobacco

This is a discussion on savinelli aroma pipe tobacco within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So I have become close friends with the owner and major employees at my local B&M. This week I had ...

Young Puffer Fish

savinelli aroma pipe tobacco

So I have become close friends with the owner and major employees at my local B&M. This week I had some free time so I spent about an hour or so at the shop talking to the employees discussing pipe tobacco. We talked about aging tobacco and ended up wondering what was the oldest tobaccos in the shop. We eventually found that some of the oldest was a few leftover tins of savinelli aroma pipe tobacco that was last ordered somewhere between 2007-early 2009. I picked up a tin on a whim. My main question is should i leave this tin alone and let it age more (The seal is still good), or pop the sucker open and throw some into a mason jar and smoke the rest?

Re: savinelli aroma pipe tobacco

Open it - sounds like an aro and aging wont give any real benefit. jmo
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

Yep. Open it. Smoke it.

Aromatics, with some exceptions I'm sure, are unlikely to benefit from aging as much of the flavour and the aromas are in the volatile topping. That's much more likely to fade with age leaving you with an incomplete tobacco which isn't as the maker intended. Although tins are "hermetically sealed", it ain't quite so. If you leave a tin of Latakia heavy tobacco in a second sealed container you will be able to smell the Latakia pretty soon. I store mine in a separate box for that reason.

Some tobaccos benefit from aging, some don't. There are reviews of the sacred Stonehaven which say that it's best fresh. Germain's Rich Dark Flake is the same blend or so close as to make no difference and I'd say that it shouldn't be aged. It would lose its "sparkle".
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Young Puffer Fish

Popped the tin last night at my cigar club. shared some with other members and we agreed it was really good. One member bought a tin from the same shop between 1-2 years ago and said that the one I have tastes better in his opinion. Thanks for the feedback All.

Quote Originally Posted by Squints View Post
    Popped the tin last night at my cigar club. shared some with other members and we agreed it was really good. One member bought a tin from the same shop between 1-2 years ago and said that the one I have tastes better in his opinion. Thanks for the feedback All.
    There seems to be general consensus here on Puff that aromatics don't improve with age. I wonder though... Has this been proven scientifically? There is no doubt that anni kake, haddo's delight, stonehaven, etc improve with age. But, has anyone else managed to score old tins of "goopy" aromatics and see if they are indeed better than new production?
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    There is no doubt that anni kake, haddo's delight, stonehaven, etc improve with age.
    Hmmmm. Opinion is divided on Stonehaven, I believe. Nick (Nachman) has said that he prefers it fresh. It's the same (or so similar that it makes no difference) as Germain's Rich Dark Flake and, although I haven't got any more than a few months old, it seems the sort of tobacco that would be best fresh. It really sparkles and I fear that would be lost as it matures.

It's also not a tobacco that I would personally call an aromatic. Aromas it most certainly has, but I think of aromatics as being driven by rather volatile topping rather than this one which I believe relies on its casing (and the qualities of the leaf itself.) Don't know the others mentioned...
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

There seems to be general consensus here on Puff that aromatics don't improve with age. I wonder though... Has this been proven scientifically? There is no doubt that anni kake, haddo's delight, stonehaven, etc improve with age. But, has anyone else managed to score old tins of "goopy" aromatics and see if they are indeed better than new production?
    Well...except in my opinion, both Stonehaven and Anniversary Kake are much better young. On the other hand, both were smoked early in my 'pipe career', so take that with a grain of salt.

But I agree with the general tone of your post; there's a lot of 'information' on the internet that just seems to have been passed along over the years with no facts to back them up. Some of the info is good, some is bad, and some is irrelevant.
    ********.com

Full grown Puffer Fish Thirston's Avatar

Like many I have a whole box full from early in my cigar to pipe career. They're all "quality" aro's and they still look like they did 6 years ago which is a bit scary because they're all in the same plastic bags they came in. I don't keep anything else in bags of course. Someday I'll break them out and add my 2cents to this issue, but as I said they were not in air tight containers.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Well...except in my opinion, both Stonehaven and Anniversary Kake are much better young. On the other hand, both were smoked early in my 'pipe career', so take that with a grain of salt.

But I agree with the general tone of your post; there's a lot of 'information' on the internet that just seems to have been passed along over the years with no facts to back them up. Some of the info is good, some is bad, and some is irrelevant.
    Ok, I retract my statements and question. Carry on.
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Taste is sort of a subjective thing anyway, isn't it? If a person likes aromatics for the toppings and aromas, they probably wouldn't be as good to that person if they faded over time. Vice versa, if one prefers natural tobacco, then letting the aroma dissipate might make for a more pleasing smoke to that person. Seems logical to me?

Nonetheless, I'm glad you (@Squints) enjoyed the tobacco.

iirc the aging process is based on the type of tobacco and the additives. If your aging a VA based aro then of course the VA benefits from aging. However if it is using syrups and whatnot to get the flavor these may degrade over time as they are meant to be used sooner rather than later. Burley based aros wont gain much in either case. Maybe blendtobak (Russ) will chime in and set us all straight lol.

I have never smoked the savinelli aroma but I have read it is topped with bourbon and vanilla thus I recommended the tin popping. I am also happy to see it smoked well for you.
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!