Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Pipe filter sizing question

This is a discussion on Pipe filter sizing question within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So my Mr. Brog pipe has finally gone through its' first filter and I am wondering if I can replace ...

Full grown Puffer Fish stevodenteufel's Avatar

Pipe filter sizing question

So my Mr. Brog pipe has finally gone through its' first filter and I am wondering if I can replace the 9mm with any brand of 9mm filter or do I need to use a specific brand? I ask because the Mr. Brog carbon filters are $5/10 while other brands are $20/100 or so.

Re: Pipe filter sizing question

9 mm filters are pretty much a European thing. Hopefully one of the Euro members can answer you. 9mm is 9mm, so it become a question of length, but I suspect, as many 9mm filters that are in use in Europe and especially in German pipes, that the length is probably pretty standard.
    EDIT: I did find an ad for some off brand, Italian 9mm filters that stated they can be used in any pipe that accepts 9mm filters.
    Last edited by Nachman; 09-01-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

I smoke a Savinelli that takes a 9mm, and still have a few of the balsa filters. I don't think they're worth the trouble and smoke it without a filter. One o my best smoking pipes, to tell the truth, and it might be better without the filter. Certainly less of a hassle.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Being a Polish pipe I assume it's made similar to how German pipes would be made, with that said I decided to order the cheaper German filters, they look identical to my Polish ones so hopefully they will be the proper length. Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    9 mm filters are pretty much a European thing. Hopefully one of the Euro members can answer you. 9mm is 9mm, so it become a question of length, but I suspect, as many 9mm filters that are in use in Europe and especially in German pipes, that the length is probably pretty standard.
    EDIT: I did find an ad for some off brand, Italian 9mm filters that stated they can be used in any pipe that accepts 9mm filters.

My pipe has a very loose and uncomfortable draw without the filter, I also find the carbon filter cools the smoke down really well. I tried it without the filter a few times but I just wasn't feeling it.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I smoke a Savinelli that takes a 9mm, and still have a few of the balsa filters. I don't think they're worth the trouble and smoke it without a filter. One o my best smoking pipes, to tell the truth, and it might be better without the filter. Certainly less of a hassle.

As far as I know 9mm is 9mm and the size is standard.

I've personally not seen the advantage or need for filters in any case. They will absorb some moisture but a decent pipe and good smoking technique is enough in my opinion to keep things in check. They do affect the draw (which you may like) but they are another thing to fiddle with when smoking (which you may like - I love paraphernalia). You can get adaptors to remove the need for a filter and bring the drilling back to "standard" (you may need to adapt to your particular pipe) but most just smoke filter pipes simply without the filter. We had a thread some time ago on opinions pro/con of filters and I believe that the weight of opinion was against them. They are a European and specifically German thing. Also a sop for the health Nazis.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Puffer Fish with some spikes BrSpiritus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    We had a thread some time ago on opinions pro/con of filters and I believe that the weight of opinion was against them.
    Must have been before I came back to pipe smoking as I would definitely weigh in on the favor side of filters. I love my savinelli balsa filters and my one brigham pipe with the rock maple filter (prob going to buy another one soon if I can get it past the wife).