Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Pipe knife project.

This is a discussion on Pipe knife project. within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Just wanted to share a small project I am working on. I have made wood tampers before but they never ...

Wizard of the puff shire Gandalf The Gray's Avatar

Pipe knife project.

Just wanted to share a small project I am working on. I have made wood tampers before but they never have what I need, a pick, reamer and a tamper. I have been looking around at pipe knives and have seen some that are affordable but the tamper part always looks to be on the small side. So I decided to make my own, and although I am no craftsman, I am prone to modifying things. So..I started to modify a cheap smith and wesson pocket Knife I had. So far I have the reamer formed and the pick formed for the most part. I still have to put an edge on the reamer, and smooth the pick out a bit.
    For the butt of the knife I grinned out some of the metal so I can attach the tamper. My only issue is how, and what to attach. I'm not sure whether to use another piece of metal, or use some type of hard wood and add a metal tamper on the end of the wood. This is what I have so far, nothing special. But it kept me occupied for a few hours.

Re: Pipe knife project.

My problem is the opposite; I can't find a tamper small enough for some of my pipes. Luckily, there are usually enough twigs laying about.

(Nice shape on the pipe knife; I can't see a use for the second one though. A straight-backed blade cut down to a thin strip if the back seems more appropriate for a pick. Or a smaller reaming knife. Maybe weld a foot on that blade to make a tamper while it's still folded? High carbon steel, I'd guess, so the weld mght be difficult.)
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    My problem is the opposite; I can't find a tamper small enough for some of my pipes. Luckily, there are usually enough twigs laying about.

(Nice shape on the pipe knife; I can't see a use for the second one though. A straight-backed blade cut down to a thin strip if the back seems more appropriate for a pick. Or a smaller reaming knife. Maybe weld a foot on that blade to make a tamper while it's still folded? High carbon steel, I'd guess, so the weld mght be difficult.)
    Thanks for the input Robert, They must make small pipes in England J/k. Hmm, Well my idea was you have the first one which would be your pipe knife. And the second one which would be your pick. I Am deciding whether to grind the second one down more to a traditional straight pick shape. The butt of the knife will be thinner then what it is now, My idea for the tamper is to slot a 1" or 1/2" piece of aluminum or steel and secure it on the end flush. And then shape it at a slight curve to blend in with the knife. It's a work in progress, I will keep you updated on it

Wish I could offer advice, but unless it's a motorcycle engine (with carbs, NOT fuel injected) my mechanical aptitude is zilch. You know those mechanical bulls that used to be popular? I don't even have to get on one; I fall down when I hear the word "mechanical"...
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Wish I could offer advice, but unless it's a motorcycle engine (with carbs, NOT fuel injected) my mechanical aptitude is zilch. You know those mechanical bulls that used to be popular? I don't even have to get on one; I fall down when I hear the word "mechanical"...
    Lol, Now that is where I would be completely lost! I am not an engine guy at all, Which is surprising considering my father was a mechanic. I think I got the shape figured out, All I need to do now is weld a tamper piece on or another piece of metal I can form into a tamp. And then clean it up a bit.

Full grown Puffer Fish Thirston's Avatar

Looks good. I like it.

Out of curiosity, why a serrated pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    Out of curiosity, why a serrated pick?
    That is how the blade was originally, I may grind that down smooth.

Ahhh gotcha. Didn't see that in the first pics.