Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Frogmorton's Cellar

This is a discussion on Frogmorton's Cellar within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I just pulled the trigger on some of this pipe tobacco. Never tried anything McClelland before but I've heard such ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes BrSpiritus's Avatar

Frogmorton's Cellar

I just pulled the trigger on some of this pipe tobacco. Never tried anything McClelland before but I've heard such good things about the Frogmorton Collection in general and now with whiskey staves for a gentle flavor, what's not to like...

Puffer Fish with some spikes iggy_jet's Avatar

Re: Frogmorton's Cellar

FrogMorton is a great smoke..

Full grown Puffer Fish Thirston's Avatar

I've stayed away from all Frogs despite trying almost everything else. Always heard great things about On the Town and the newbe Cellar. Let us know how you like it.

I don't know how much flavor or aroma the stave adds, but it's a nice tobacco. I think you'll like it.

I found out over the years that my taste gravitated (about 90%) away from aromatics and burleys and towards English blends (latakia) and Virginias. I'm still noncommittal about Perique. I'd say my favorite English is SG Squadron Leader which is the perfect amount a latakia to me. One time I bought a tin of GLP Abingdon and was put off of all Latakia blends for a year afterwards which is a shame as it led me back to smoking cigarettes. Been a month now and no cigarettes though

Young Puffer Fish

I recently just tried Frogmorton's Cellar. I believed that it was a great smoke, and a very good change of pace for myself and aromatics. I bought a tin of Frogmorton and On the town, both are good in my opinion. Take that with a grain of salt though as I am still technically a novice as I only really got into pipes in the last 9-12 months.

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

Good luck getting it. I've had some on backorder for quite a while.
    If you find some in stock somewhere pls let me know!

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

The first three places I searched (smokingpipes.com , pipesandcigars.com , and 4noggins) all have it in stock.

Have ya looked more than one place?

I believe I checked CI and P&C. I ordered from P&C with some other stuff because the site said it was in stock. Got the email the next day saying it wasn't in stock and furthermore, I wouldn't be getting it for a LONG time.

My order from Smokingpipes is on it's way so it's still in stock although subject to ordering limitations per day. Looks like if I like it I'm going to have to get some more fast before it's sold out for 3 years like Penzance.

w00t! Ahmma placing an order with smokingpipes... BRB!

Thanks!

--edit--
    Ordered!

1 FM cellar, 100g
    1 SG Best Brown Flake, 50g
    1 SG Firedance, 50g
    Last edited by Emperor Zurg; 09-06-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
    w00t! Ahmma placing an order with smokingpipes... BRB!

Thanks!

--edit--
    Ordered!

1 FM cellar, 100g
    1 SG Best Brown Flake, 50g
    1 SG Firedance, 50g
    An Emperor after my own heart, I love Firedance Flake! Though isn't Firedance just the best brown with the flavors added? I've never tried the best brown by itself. I only got a 50g tin of Frogmorton Cellar because I didn't wish to incur the wrath of the wife on spending money and all that jazz lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BrSpiritus View Post
    ...isn't Firedance just the best brown with the flavors added?
    I think that's the consensus. All the more reason to get both IMO. Sometimes I like to see what the unadulterated baccy tastes like and sometimes I just get sick of aromatics for a while.

I figured I'd get the 100g tin because if I like it, there's no more to be had. If I don't, you'll see it in the WTS section

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
    I think that's the consensus. All the more reason to get both IMO. Sometimes I like to see what the unadulterated baccy tastes like and sometimes I just get sick of aromatics for a while.
    Yeah I can relate, I only go for aros on occasion, mostly an English/Va smoker. I find when I smoke Firedance that I get the flavoring in the first half of the bowl but it goes away in the second half and I just get the best brown Va flavor.

Got home to a package on my porch, yes my Frogmorton Cellar had arrived. The tin was opened nary seconds after the box was ripped apart and I was greeted with the most heavenly aroma I have ever had the pleasure of passing through my nose. The tin note smelled of whiskey, charred oak, old books, leather chairs, sweet hay and a faint fruit. The tin comes with a cube of wood from a whiskey barrel stave, probably the most unique aromatic packaging I have ever seen and a quick look at the tobacco tells me it's latakia dominant in the mix but there's good lemon va in there and perhaps some aged va as well. Moisture is on the damp side so I took some out on a piece of paper and laid it on the windowsill for awhile to dry before loading my savinelli trevi. Took a charring light well and I was soon off to a blissful heaven of flavors. To call this an aromatic is to be disingenuous as it's not cased but the whiskey staves lend a flavor to the exceptional base of English blend tobacco. What comes through for me is a smoky flavor, not latakia, the latakia is barely there in the beginning but a oak or almost hickory flavor to the smoke. This gives way to a sweetness from the whiskey and I feel the latakia on the back of the palate as a gently whispering last flavor. This is some excellent stuff and I must say I wish I had given McClelland a try long ago as this tobacco is definitely a desert island tobacco for me. I need to buy more of this before it goes the way of penzance and disappears for 3+ years...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast