Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Had My Very 1st Bowl!!

This is a discussion on Had My Very 1st Bowl!! within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Thanks to @ Emperor Zurg I had my 1st bowl! Peter Stokkeby's Luxury Bullseye. After a lesson on how to ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes brimy623's Avatar

Had My Very 1st Bowl!!

Thanks to @Emperor Zurg I had my 1st bowl!
    Peter Stokkeby's Luxury Bullseye.
    After a lesson on how to "rub out" the flake , I packed the bowl & puffed away!!
    I had to relight about 4 times over approx 45 min, but overall kept it lit.
    I don't know if it was due to the pipe being brand new or if it was the baccy that i wasn't too crazy about. I'll definitely give it another shot as well as try a few others.
    ALL HAIL THE EMPEROR!!

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail!!!

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

Re: Had My Very 1st Bowl!!

WooHoo!!

Sorry if you didn't like the baccy
    You might have to give it a few tries before you warm up to it... you can read about some of my misadventures with pipe tobacco here --> Zurg's Random Tobacco Ramblings

Also, the tobacco probably isn't going to have as much taste as it could have until your pipe breaks in.
    Then there's the whole gamet of packing and tamping properly - lol!

45 minutes and 4 relights though... that's pretty darn good for the very first bowl!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
    WooHoo!!

Sorry if you didn't like the baccy
    You might have to give it a few tries before you warm up to it... you can read about some of my misadventures with pipe tobacco here --> Zurg's Random Tobacco Ramblings

I figured the brand new pipe might have something to do with it!

Also, the tobacco probably isn't going to have as much taste as it could have until your pipe breaks in.
    Then there's the whole gamet of packing and tamping properly - lol!

Yeah! I was doing some reading & realize , "there's a little work" involved with this hobby! and that I need a few more tools. Do you use the filters? if so, the tube or the balsa? I know I'll have to experiment myself for preferences, but just curious.

45 minutes and 4 relights though... that's pretty darn good for the very first bowl!!
    Yea Me!!LOL
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail!!!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader teedles915's Avatar

With cobs the first 8-10 bowls taste a lot like burning cob, and a little like tobacco. As the inside of the bowl chars, more of the tobacco flavors will come through.
    It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues- Abraham Lincoln

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

I was originally using the Sav balsa filters - you can stuff one of the triangular, 6mm filters in the stem pretty easily. But then I chucked the whole filter thing in favor of a Forever stem from Walter Briar Works. Then I went and lined the shank with a porcelain tube so it was easier to clean the pipe... now I'm working on a whole 'nuther improvement to the world of cob pipes.

No longer a community member.

You actually did a really nice job rubbing that out >

As others have mentioned- the breakin for a cob can be less than tasty, but it is worth the effort to hunker down and wait it out. A charred cob smokes like a dream!

Welcome to the dark side

Quote Originally Posted by teedles915 View Post
    With cobs the first 8-10 bowls taste a lot like burning cob, and a little like tobacco. As the inside of the bowl chars, more of the tobacco flavors will come through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    You actually did a really nice job rubbing that out >
    Remembering my youthful days!! LOL
    As others have mentioned- the breakin for a cob can be less than tasty, but it is worth the effort to hunker down and wait it out. A charred cob smokes like a dream!

Welcome to the dark side
    Since the cob needs breaking in, I guess I'll have to run out & buy some so so tobacco & hold on to the good stuff for when it's broken in!

Congrats on your first bowl!!!

I'm partial to OTC's for the break-in process.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    Congrats on your first bowl!!!
    Thx!
    I'm partial to OTC's for the break-in process.
    That's what I'm thinking.

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

Nice job. I sounds like your first bowl was way better than mine.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

I don't use filters, but if you want one, you probably own the best. Just take a pipe cleaner and cut it in half. Fold the cleaner in half again and insert the point of the V into the filter chamber. Voila, an instant and almost free filter which will catch a lot of tar and keep the bits of tobacco out of your mouth.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Great improve there Nick!
    Thx.

No longer a community member.

Man I remember my 1st bowl!!! Me and some buddies were in my basement when I was in high school. After a few hits I was feeling great!! I laughed and ate everything in site. Oh wait.......you guys are talking about tobacco.....my bad

well you have good taste in tobacco Bulleye is a great Va/per, wait till you try it with some age. Yum

It is all down hill from here....hold on and head to eBay...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast