Finished hacking out my first pipe today. All that is left is to "port & polish" the drought hole in the stem
Started with a pre-drilled block, used a sanding disc only with 60 grit to shape the block, then when I got close, I switched to 80 grit to smooth the lumps. Then the obvious, I continued sanding. I actually went too far, then had to start back at 400 to stain/dye the briar black, then sand, then stain/dye british tan, then sand, then stain/dye yellow, then sand and kept sanding until 12k grit. Polish & wax and was done. When I get some better tools, I may be able to get creative.
I was looking to finish with some contrast and did...the finish color isn't quite as bright as it looks in the last pictures, the flash brightened it up.