Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Finished My First Pipe

This is a discussion on Finished My First Pipe within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Finished hacking out my first pipe today. All that is left is to "port & polish" the drought hole in ...

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

Finished My First Pipe

Finished hacking out my first pipe today. All that is left is to "port & polish" the drought hole in the stem

Started with a pre-drilled block, used a sanding disc only with 60 grit to shape the block, then when I got close, I switched to 80 grit to smooth the lumps. Then the obvious, I continued sanding. I actually went too far, then had to start back at 400 to stain/dye the briar black, then sand, then stain/dye british tan, then sand, then stain/dye yellow, then sand and kept sanding until 12k grit. Polish & wax and was done. When I get some better tools, I may be able to get creative.

I was looking to finish with some contrast and did...the finish color isn't quite as bright as it looks in the last pictures, the flash brightened it up.

Puffer Fish with many spikes JKlavins's Avatar

Re: Finished My First Pipe

That's a damn fine looking pipe!! My soon to be Mother in law is a woodworker, I might have to borrow some of her tools and have a go at it!

That's beautiful! How did you get the contrast on the grain?

No longer a community member.

Very nice- I like the acrylic stand you used for finishing it as well.

Awesome work, sure gives me the urge to try making them too

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Good job, Wayne.

Thanks

The stand came with my BAKI meer when I bought it from Deniz. I use that stand a lot...

The contrast is just from using the different color dyes. The black was the hardest to sand down, and I think I should have sanded farther...maybe next time. I have three more blocks sitting here waiting to be hacked up.

Far as tools go, I only use the sanding disc to shape it, and hand sanded. The block was pre-drilled. I could do it with my buddies drill press, but for the money, I'll let the "experts" do it. As I call it "Port & Polishing" the stem to open up the airway all I use is a hand drill and a slot funneling file. Same machine is used to buff as I used to shape. Two motorized tools, two hand powered tools.

I have shopped around prices of pre-drilled block, no one can touch Steve / Vermont Freehand. Only thing is, for right now, he only sells through facebook and I think ebay if you want to pay more to feel safe.

nothing to see here but a double post
    Last edited by OnePyroTec; 11-14-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: double post