Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A find I've been waiting a long time for...

This is a discussion on A find I've been waiting a long time for... within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; As some know, I'm a big Dr. Grabow fan. Among my relatively higher-end pipes, I have quite the selection of ...

No longer a community member.

Talking A find I've been waiting a long time for...

As some know, I'm a big Dr. Grabow fan. Among my relatively higher-end pipes, I have quite the selection of the drugstore standbys. Over the years I've managed to get a hold of a couple Color Dukes/Color Viscounts that were available between around '75 and '80. All have been estate pipes that I cleaned up and enjoyed. Most recently the Adjustomatic threading broke off of the stem on one and I was forced to toss it because it was beyond repair. Long story short, I always have my eye out on Ebay and I finally hit the jackpot:

The guy I bought these from has been selling off ~1000 pipes that were purchased over the course of decades, one pipe a paycheck with a pouch of tobacco. Many, including these, have never been smoked. He had a total of 11, but I someone managed to exercise self-restraint and only purchase 4 of them. The best part is they were priced at only $30, the same as buying a new Grand Duke. I fired up the yellow one today and it smoked beautifully. The stingers on the Viscounts pull right out without the need to hacksaw.

There is something really fun about being the first to smoke a pipe that was originally sold before I was born.

Just wanted to share my exuberance- carry one

Re: A find I've been waiting a long time for...

Congratulations on your new additions. I too would like to find an old pipe, something from the late sixties.
    Attempting to treat very different people as if they were all the same is recipe for leadership mediocrity. T Jay Taylor

Pipe'in Aint Easy

I have to say I am pretty jealous...

Unsmoked? ONLY 30 BUCKS?!!

You did hit the jackpot indeed. I have seen these guys go fro 20-30 bucks a pop in not good condition at all...

Having the stingers pull out easily is a huge plus as well!

Awesome find man! What does he have left?!

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Branzig View Post
    I have to say I am pretty jealous...

Unsmoked? ONLY 30 BUCKS?!!

You did hit the jackpot indeed. I have seen these guys go fro 20-30 bucks a pop in not good condition at all...

Having the stingers pull out easily is a huge plus as well!

Awesome find man! What does he have left?!
    There are a few left. Here is the link to his listings

Pipe'in Aint Easy

I don't know if I should thank you, or curse you.

Because I feel that by clicking that link, my wallet is going to become thinner

In my box of estate pipes waiting to be restored is an orange color Grabow that unfortunately has a broken bit. The stummel is in very good condition and pretty much ready-to-smoke, but I'm gonna have to do something about the stem. Experimentally I might cut it shorter and form a new bit, but I'm also tempted to look around for a matching pipe with a burned-out or damaged bowl but good stem, then I'll have something that should clean up "good as new."

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote Originally Posted by cpmcdill View Post
    In my box of estate pipes waiting to be restored is an orange color Grabow that unfortunately has a broken bit. The stummel is in very good condition and pretty much ready-to-smoke, but I'm gonna have to do something about the stem. Experimentally I might cut it shorter and form a new bit, but I'm also tempted to look around for a matching pipe with a burned-out or damaged bowl but good stem, then I'll have something that should clean up "good as new."
    You can find Grabow stems fairly easily. If it isn't a bend I suggest cutting it down though! Nose warmers are just cool IMO

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    Over the years I've managed to get a hold of a couple Color Dukes/Color Viscounts that were available between around '75 and '80...There is something really fun about being the first to smoke a pipe that was originally sold before I was born.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2smoke View Post
    I too would like to find an old pipe, something from the late sixties.
    OK. Enough of that, you cruel, black-hearted, rascals!

Yer making me feel old, but I'm NOT old...

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    OK. Enough of that, you cruel, black-hearted, rascals!

Yer making me feel old, but I'm NOT old...
    Haha that got me thinking...and since the only Briars I buy are pre-1980 it seems that my entire collection was manufactured before I was born

Well I own 3 cobs though, so I guess those are exempt!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    As some know, I'm a big Dr. Grabow fan. Among my relatively higher-end pipes, I have quite the selection of the drugstore standbys. Over the years I've managed to get a hold of a couple Color Dukes/Color Viscounts that were available between around '75 and '80. All have been estate pipes that I cleaned up and enjoyed. Most recently the Adjustomatic threading broke off of the stem on one and I was forced to toss it because it was beyond repair. Long story short, I always have my eye out on Ebay and I finally hit the jackpot:

The guy I bought these from has been selling off ~1000 pipes that were purchased over the course of decades, one pipe a paycheck with a pouch of tobacco. Many, including these, have never been smoked. He had a total of 11, but I someone managed to exercise self-restraint and only purchase 4 of them. The best part is they were priced at only $30, the same as buying a new Grand Duke. I fired up the yellow one today and it smoked beautifully. The stingers on the Viscounts pull right out without the need to hacksaw.

There is something really fun about being the first to smoke a pipe that was originally sold before I was born.

Just wanted to share my exuberance- carry one
    Tobias you dog, you made me go look at those pipes and I couldn't resist. My wife wanted a bent stem (she only has straight) and when I saw the macaroni yellow Dr. Grabow I knew she would love it. She did. And she bought this one.

I have to admit it is an awesome color and it happens to also be her favorite, so I'm pretty pleased really!

Haha that got me thinking...and since the only Briars I buy are pre-1980 it seems that my entire collection was manufactured before I was born

Well I own 3 cobs though, so I guess those are exempt!
    No offense Brandon, but the beard makes you look older than you are! I'm betting you and I are close in age, but my beard, shoddy at best, makes me look like a 17 year old creep. You, sir, have a beard to be envied by all! Except my dad, his is ridiculous and he felt like he didn't need to pass it on .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Everything I say should be read in a sarcastic manner first. If the sarcasm makes no sense, read it as if I'm drunk.

Also, no the guy in my avatar is not me. I wish, but no.

But I would be ecstatic if someone knew who it was!
    Everything I say should be read in a sarcastic manner first. If the sarcasm makes no sense, read it as if I'm drunk.

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote Originally Posted by 04EDGE40 View Post
    Also, no the guy in my avatar is not me. I wish, but no.

But I would be ecstatic if someone knew who it was!
    I have a color Grabow coming that I just traded for @cpmcdill for. Really excited to get it!

Great job on the Grabow find! And no offense taken, thank you for the beard love

And that, fine sir, is The Big Hurt himself, Frank Thomas

I have a color Grabow coming that I just traded for @cpmcdill for. Really excited to get it!

Great job on the Grabow find! And no offense taken, thank you for the beard love

And that, fine sir, is The Big Hurt himself, Frank Thomas
    Betwixt the beard and the recognition of my childhood (and adulthood) hero, you are alright in my book!

I was obsessed with Frank Thomas all growing up. I have one of those giant totes full of Thomas memorabilia. From bats to pennants and plaques and cards, you name it. I think I've shed a tear for baseball twice as a grown man. Once when the Sox won the pennant in '05 and once more when they proceeded to release Frank Thomas after that. Don't worry though, I'm fine now .

So are you a baseball fan or just good with faces?

Quote Originally Posted by 2smoke View Post
    Congratulations on your new additions. I too would like to find an old pipe, something from the late sixties.
    Wait a minute! I was already out of college! Hmm...I must be missing something here.

Gotta be careful about those pipes from the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius though, Doug.

And when I saw those pipes, Tobias, I thought you were venturing forth into the land of "the Pipe" and the Venturi.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...iPipeGreen.jpg
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote Originally Posted by 04EDGE40 View Post
    I think I've shed a tear for baseball twice as a grown man. Once when the Sox won the pennant in '05 and once more when they proceeded to release Frank Thomas after that. Don't worry though, I'm fine now .

So are you a baseball fan or just good with faces?
    I'm glad that you survived

And I am a SPORTS fan! But I only watch baseball during the world series, not a big regular season guy. My go to sports are NCAA basketball and NFL.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast