Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Finished Something Special: Custombilt

This is a discussion on Finished Something Special: Custombilt within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Well I just finished this up...I think I over-paid a bit for it, but I am OK with it For ...

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Smile Finished Something Special: Custombilt

Well I just finished this up...I think I over-paid a bit for it, but I am OK with it

For those of you who don't know, I have been hunting for a Custombilt for a while now, and when I found this one and saw the shape it was in, I decided to pull the trigger. When it arrived, it really didn't need too much more work. Just some finishing touches. The previous owner seems confident that it is a Tracy Mincer from the time just before he left Custombilt, but I have my doubts. It does have a couple of his signature marks, but I know that dating these post "Custom-bilt" era Tracy pipes is very difficult. Either way, I am very happy with the purchase...So happy in fact that a PAD attack took place...I'll be posting damage when they arrive
    It's been nice, while it lasted.

My pipes won't survive-EZ NeverBend's Avatar

Re: Finished Something Special: Custombilt

Looks great - please report how it smokes!

Tracy Mincer worked in his brother's store, Mincer's Pipe Shop, in Charlottesville, when I was at UVa, although I was not aware of it and not sure he worked there at the same time I was going to school. It's possible he sold me a can of Royal Yacht!

Dandy pipe, Brandon!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

That's a gorgeous pipe!

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Thanks everyone!

I am a big fan of how it looks and the bowl size. When I saw it, I couldn't believe what shape it was in for the age, and the potential it had. I knew I had to have it. I am quickly and desperately falling for these old Custombilts, and all matter of classic American pipes actually.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Tracy Mincer worked in his brother's store, Mincer's Pipe Shop, in Charlottesville, when I was at UVa, although I was not aware of it and not sure he worked there at the same time I was going to school. It's possible he sold me a can of Royal Yacht!

Dandy pipe, Brandon!

This is kind of blowing my mind right now! You could of met, who I consider to be, a true pipe crafting master!
    Last edited by Branzig; 03-24-2014 at 09:40 AM.

His brother, Robert Mincer, Sr., known to everybody as "Mr. Mincer", owned the store. Tracey repaired pipes in the back at some point, according to something I read somewhere, but I don't know if it was while I was there. Mr. Mincer had the status of a professor in TJ's academic village, complete with nice tweeds. The "other guy" in the store was probably his son, Robert Mincer, Jr., not his brother, or possibly a graduate student.

Mincer's Pipe Shop
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Wow! Very cool! Great article as well.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish JustTroItIn's Avatar

That is a beautiful pipe. Nicely done!

I like the new avatar too. Much more optimism for Spring!

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote Originally Posted by JustTroItIn View Post
    I like the new avatar too. Much more optimism for Spring!
    Thanks! That's what I was gong for!

Just checked my shipping status...might be posting another pic in here pretty quick

Nice pipe! Cleaned up really good. I think I recall seeing that listing. Looking forward to seeing your next pipe haul.
    "Quite simply, my dear, tobacco is the greatest pleasure that we have ever discovered... I know of no other miracle like it in nature." -- Bela Lugosi, 1939

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Well it finally came...been waiting a while for this thing. It needs a lot of work, but it is a true blue 1940's Custom-bilt, and I am really excited to get cracking on it. Some bozo who owned it before tried to wax it I think, so there is white residue all over the pipe and in a lot of the crevices...with this deep of a rustication, it sure is gong to be fun to clean up...

Last edited by Branzig; 03-26-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

That's a pretty gnarly looking pipe.
    Is the design purely cosmetic or does it have some practically?

Quote Originally Posted by Branzig View Post
    Well it finally came...been waiting a while for this thing. It needs a lot of work, but it is a true blue 1940's Custom-bilt, and I am really excited to get cracking on it. Some bozo who owned it before tried to wax it I think, so there is white residue all over the pipe and in a lot of the crevices...with this deep of a rustication, it sure is gong to be fun to clean up...
    Wonder what kind of wax it is. Hope it's not Turtle Wax. heh -- May be able to soften it up with a hair dryer then smooth it out using a toothbrush or something.
    "Quite simply, my dear, tobacco is the greatest pleasure that we have ever discovered... I know of no other miracle like it in nature." -- Bela Lugosi, 1939

No longer a community member.

Nice work, Brandon! You certainly have a handle on cleaning up estates.

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar-Enthusiast View Post
    That's a pretty gnarly looking pipe.
    Is the design purely cosmetic or does it have some practically?
    From my understanding, the original Mincer rustication came to be because Custom-bilt would buy briar with a lot of knots and what not that would need fills. Instead of filling it all in, Tracy would do deep awesome rustication. They are 90% cosmetic, but I do find they make gripping the bowl much much easier. They have amazing texture and grip to them!

Quote Originally Posted by cpmcdill View Post
    Wonder what kind of wax it is. Hope it's not Turtle Wax. heh -- May be able to soften it up with a hair dryer then smooth it out using a toothbrush or something.
    I'm hoping that it is just carnauba that wasn't heated up enough on the buffing wheel...that would be the easiest to clean up. I will just hit it with the buffer and then use a toothpick/q-tips/toothbrush to work out the rest. Worst case scenario, it's Paragon Wax...and in that case I will need a hair dryer, torch lighter, toothpicks, and a miracle

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    Nice work, Brandon! You certainly have a handle on cleaning up estates.
    Thank you! It is a lot of fun and has quickly become one of my favorite pass times. I almost clean and restore pipes more than I smoke them

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast