Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Sherlock Holmes pipe

This is a discussion on Sherlock Holmes pipe within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; does anybody have one that they really like? I'd like to get one possibly, but like everything thats made after ...

Young Puffer Fish

Question Sherlock Holmes pipe

does anybody have one that they really like? I'd like to get one possibly, but like everything thats made after famous books/movies/characters, you have to watch out for replica junk thats almost exclusively for display use. Anyone know a good site that sells a very authentic and usable replication (doesn't have to be like premium grade... i'm not rich) of the one from the stories?

Re: Sherlock Holmes pipe

Sherlock Holmes smoked a clay pipe. The Calabash (gourd with meerschaum lining) was never mentioned in Conan Doyle's stories. Some early (1930s?) actor used his own pipes while portraying the great detective.
    Still... they're cool and I would like a good one someday. It looks like eBay is your best bet.
    -Gerald

Agreed, eBay is the best source for a calabash. I love the look of the pipe, but I figured it would be too cumbersome for me. I assume you are referring to the gourd calabash with a meerschaum cap as seen in the movies? There are also briar calabash pipes that are smaller and more manageable.

Young Puffer Fish

well ya thats the other thing that i didn't think of.... size and weight. how much do the clay calabash ones weigh compared to a normal briar one? is it excessively heavy like where it makes it annoying to hold in your teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by jonogt View Post
    well ya thats the other thing that i didn't think of.... size and weight. how much do the clay calabash ones weigh compared to a normal briar one? is it excessively heavy like where it makes it annoying to hold in your teeth?
    Both are, but it isnt a function of weight - more of leverage due to the size of the thing. The gourd and meerschaum calabashes (?) are actually very light, but they do require having at least one hand available to hold the pipe. The briar calabashes are a little heavy, but they can rest against the chin for a while before requiring manipulation. I really like the way they look (both) and the meerschaum-gourd pipes deliver an amazingly cool smoke - but they are just too large for my tastes.

MY friends just surprised me with an early b-day gift of a brand new mahogany chambered calabash. The thing is huge, but well engineered, so it hangs decently from the mouth. I tend to hold on to it with my hand alot though, as I am nervous about dropping it.
    "It's ironic that those who till the soil, cultivate and harvest the fruits, vegetables, and other foods that fill your tables with abundance have nothing left for themselves."
    -Cesar Chavez

Will Work for Boli GM's.. Neuromancer's Avatar

If you want a great smoking pipe that has a Sherlock Holmes look about it, try a Peterson XL315...I love the one I have...

There is as much water on Earth now as three billion years ago. While the amount of water has remained static, the amount of Tequila and Triple Sec available for making Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all.