Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is your favorite tobacco to age?

This is a discussion on What is your favorite tobacco to age? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I previous thread about some older tobacco at a local B&M brought up a few new questions. What is your ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes BryGuySC's Avatar

Question What is your favorite tobacco to age?

I previous thread about some older tobacco at a local B&M brought up a few new questions.

What is your favorite tobacco to age?
    What tobaccos would you be willing to pay a significant mark up for (50% higher than online), if you found some that was five or more years old?

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Re: What is your favorite tobacco to age?

I like to age VA's. Homborger Veermaster is my favorite, but I have a lot of jars of FVF and MVF too.

I'm too cheap to buy pre-aged tobacco. I age it myself.

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

None. My tobaccos only get aged by neglect.
    there is no folly of the beast of the earth which is not infinitely outdone by the madness of men

Puffer Fish with some spikes izkeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
    None. My tobaccos only get aged by neglect.
    Same here

My favorite tobacco to age is my favorite tobacco. I buy extras of what I like. I guess if you need a name, Hamborger Veermaster and Hal o' the Wynd would be the two suspects, although HV doesn't seem to change much as it ages from what I've experienced-HotW on the other hand, does. (Keep in mind I'm not that experienced myself; I'm talking five or six year old stuff, not ancient rarities!)

The only thing I could think of that I would pay a 50% premium for with just five years in the tin would be a tin or two of Escudo from the A&C Peterson period. I can wait five years.
    ********.com

Full grown Puffer Fish LandonColby's Avatar

McClelland Virginia / Perique Flake. 50% mark up is quite a bit...if I had the money I'd buy 5 pounds of pre aged stuff though lol
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
    -Bertrand Russell

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tony78's Avatar

SG Full Virginia Flake

My favorite for aging is Missouri Pride by Missouri Meerschaum. I also age any Virginia I have that is a little bitey. I think the non-aromatics (Virginia, Burley) are the best for aging. Latakia tends to lose some of its character over the years. I don't know about aging aromatics, but would like to know more.
    Insincerity will not go long unnoticed.

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

The questions are too loaded for me to have a straight answer.

I will also buy "aged" tins from Pipestud.com on a regular basis just because something will catch my eye, not necessarily something I was looking for.

Pipe'in Aint Easy

I only cellar Virginia's. Other than that I don't worry about age, I just smoke it and continually open and close my mason jars that are none-Va.

Quote Originally Posted by haebar View Post
    I don't know about aging aromatics, but would like to know more.
    I'm not a huge aro smoker at all, but from what I have learned, aging aros is detrimental to their flavor. The casing will dissipate over time.
    It's been nice, while it lasted.

One of the thing I discovered as an also-cigar smoker is that some things that one is advised against aging might benefit anyway. For example, Jonathan Drew says don't age Tabak Especial or Acid cigars, but I have some that aged a couple years and mellowed in a good way. I didn't like Acids right off the truck, but they mellowed and the infusion lowered in intensity, and the Acids tasted better, and I could taste the tobacco more, which I couldn't before, due to the potpourri assault of the infusion. The same could be said of Tabaks, which I found with aging moved the coffee/cocoa fragrance back a bit and made the cigars taste a bit more "premium."

I think that in the case of aromatics, if you find something a bit much, a little aging might taper off the assault and bring the tobacco forward more. I know the rule of thumb is that Virginias and VaPers may age best, but people are buying antique cans of Sir Walter Raleigh and Prince Albert to smoke, and they are predominantly burley. All tobaccos mellow with age, but the reason for aging Virginia tobaccos is that they sweeten, while burleys get blander, which in some instances might be a desirable effect. Also where aromatics are concerned, the toppings may sometimes be too "up top" whereas in aging they might settle into and marry with the component tobaccos and introduce new possibilities.

I think that aging is a relative thing, and Virginias and VaPers are your safest bets if you are thinking decades ahead, but it is a worthwhile experiment to set aside other categories of tobacco a few years to learn about the ways that time can influence a mixture.
    "Quite simply, my dear, tobacco is the greatest pleasure that we have ever discovered... I know of no other miracle like it in nature." -- Bela Lugosi, 1939

No longer a community member.

As others have mentioned, my favorite blends to age are the ones that are my favorite to smoke at any point. I don't cellar for the sake of aging (that's just an intriguing bonus), I have a massive cellar because I foresee the elimination of internet sales in the near future and I don't have much confidence the market will look at all like it does now in another ten years. I plan on smoking until I die, and thus I am trying to ensure I have something to smoke.

In other words, this aging thing, at least in part, is one of the several excuses we all use to buy boatloads of tobacco...
    ********.com

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    In other words, this aging thing, at least in part, is one of the several excuses we all use to buy boatloads of tobacco...
    True, but they are mostly good excuses.

My wife never bitches at me like my ex used to, but she did tease me quite a bit about my stocks of ammo and tobacco. She would tease me and call me a "hoarder". I told her that neither tobacco nor ammo would ever go down in price or become easier to get, so I'm saving money and ensuring a supply. She sortta agreed, but kept on teasing me in a friendly way. So I asked her to imagine the economy collapsing and her having to live with me without me having tobacco. Her eyes got big and she told me to buy more tobacco!

She's a good woman, and I count myself lucky.

Full grown Puffer Fish LandonColby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    True, but they are mostly good excuses.

My wife never bitches at me like my ex used to, but she did tease me quite a bit about my stocks of ammo and tobacco. She would tease me and call me a "hoarder". I told her that neither tobacco nor ammo would ever go down in price or become easier to get, so I'm saving money and ensuring a supply. She sortta agreed, but kept on teasing me in a friendly way. So I asked her to imagine the economy collapsing and her having to live with me without me having tobacco. Her eyes got big and she told me to buy more tobacco!

She's a good woman, and I count myself lucky.
    A good woman indeed. I've happened upon an angel who instead of getting angry at me for being in a shitty mood, I get a warm smile, a kiss, and get told to go smoke a pipe.

As a side note I also only cellar virginias or virginia dominant blends for the sake of aging. Everything else only gets age because I can't smoke it fast enough
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
    -Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast