Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Photos of your Baccy Cellar/Collection

This is a discussion on Photos of your Baccy Cellar/Collection within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; No Craps for me...Unless you count troutman's black death I still have a few more ounces of that crap so ...

Re: Photos of your Baccy Cellar/Collection

No Craps for me...Unless you count troutman's black death

I still have a few more ounces of that crap so be careful. I may just decide your cellar is getting to close to perfect.

Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Exille View Post
    What do the colored dots signify?
    Red = Do Not Open!
    Green = Being Consumed
    Blue = Undecided.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Me little slip on the Slope!

Stogie Newb-a-notknow
    It's what You Learn After You Know It ALL!....That Counts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone1 View Post
    I know this is an odd question... but what happens to all the tabocco if the owner passes? Who would get all that?
    I have a bad feeling that any of my pipes and tobacco, along with my beloved paperbacks, jazz and new wave/post-punk LPs, and Danish stamps will all end up in the trash when I go. But I guess I won't care then...
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    As you can see, we are not [tidy]. LOL

That was just over a month ago. Today we (Tash & I) look like this.
    Awesome, Warren!

A. That you don't consider that glass cabinet full of stuff tidy proves my point: You don't know messy!

B. Your tobacco is color coded. WAY too tidy.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Puffer Fish with many spikes Hambone1's Avatar

Yet another odd question.... why? Why horde (WoW reference ...lol) tobacco. I understand that when trying out so many different kinds of tobacco that one would jar up what they didn't like to try at a later time. And that over time you could accumulate quite a bit if you keep trying different blends. But why buy tobacco that you do like to have it sit unused for extensive periods of time? Why save a tin for years that you like? Is this a fallout shelter theme, that if the world ends you'd have your supply of tobacco to live off of? Just curious.

I ran out and purchased the jars (in all sizes), labels, hydrating disk, special funnel to place the tobacco in the jars, Hors d'oeuvre thongs to get tobacco out of the jars, wax paper to let tobacco dry on... etc. Stuff I like I'm smoking until I need to purchase more. Stuff I'm not thrilled with I'm keeping (jarring). Why, Just curious.
    Puffers will push you down the slippery slope of PAD/TAD! Get out while you can!

CWL

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone1 View Post
    Yet another odd question.... why? ...But why buy tobacco that you do like to have it sit unused for extensive periods of time? Why save a tin for years that you like? Is this a fallout shelter theme, that if the world ends you'd have your supply of tobacco to live off of? Just curious.
    Here are a few of the main reasons why I cellar tobacco:

1. Aging improves many tobaccos. Not just a few months, but years & years of aging can change the characteristics of some to the truly sublime. If you drink fine wines, or had some 21-year old scotch, you'll understand that some things are worth the wait.
    2. Sometimes the tobaccos that I like may not be readily available such as SGs and Esotericas, so when a buying opportunity presents itself, you want to stock-up.
    3. Don't expect the tobacco blend that you like to always be around. Plenty of "classic" tobaccos have disappeared over the years. I've never tried Balkan Sobranie, but I'm certainly not going to pay $200+ just for the privilege, no matter how good it may be.
    4. Buffer against rising costs. 16 oz of SG used to cost in the $30 range for me, now it is $60, if I can find any for sale.
    5. Buy in bulk to save. 16 oz of a tobacco is going to be cheaper than buying 1.75 oz tins as long as you can afford it and have room to store it.
    6. I like to collect and trade as well as share. Since I've begun the pipe, I estimate that I've given & traded much more tobacco than I've smoked. It's fun to share & trade with fellow BoTL.
    7. I have an empty wall in my home, if I didn't put tobacco there, I'd only find something else to put there.
    8. It's my money and I spend it as I wish.

Quote Originally Posted by CWL View Post
    9. Legally purchased tobacco could end at any time, driving tobacco sales onto the black market. The tobacco Nazis have made enormous advances of late, so even if the underlying cost of tobacco doesn't go through the roof, even if the government doesn't outlaw tobacco outright, internet/interstate sales could end rather soon. Without the internet, we're at the mercy of state government taxation (think NY); without the internet, many would be stuck with Captain Black or worse at the local drug store (yes, there's talk of ending USPS/UPS shipments of tobacco, period). Is that "fallout shelter mentality"? Yes, it probably is.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Awesome list 1-9. I cant say that I appreciate some guy with 30lbs of FVF or something but if you follow some sort of list similar to the 1-9 you will be rewarded with some great tobacco for years to come.
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by CWL View Post

1. Aging improves many tobaccos. Not just a few months, but years & years of aging can change the characteristics of some to the truly sublime. If you drink fine wines, or had some 21-year old scotch, you'll understand that some things are worth the wait.
    2. Sometimes the tobaccos that I like may not be readily available such as SGs and Esotericas, so when a buying opportunity presents itself, you want to stock-up.
    3. Don't expect the tobacco blend that you like to always be around. Plenty of "classic" tobaccos have disappeared over the years. I've never tried Balkan Sobranie, but I'm certainly not going to pay $200+ just for the privilege, no matter how good it may be.
    4. Buffer against rising costs. 16 oz of SG used to cost in the $30 range for me, now it is $60, if I can find any for sale.
    5. Buy in bulk to save. 16 oz of a tobacco is going to be cheaper than buying 1.75 oz tins as long as you can afford it and have room to store it.
    6. I like to collect and trade as well as share. Since I've begun the pipe, I estimate that I've given & traded much more tobacco than I've smoked. It's fun to share & trade with fellow BoTL.
    7. I have an empty wall in my home, if I didn't put tobacco there, I'd only find something else to put there.
    8. It's my money and I spend it as I wish.
    10. buying tobacco makes me feel better.
    Last edited by User Name; 07-19-2011 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Jim took number 9

I'm old, not well endowed, and I can't afford a hummer or a vette.
    ********.com

CWL

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I'm old, not well endowed, and I can't afford a hummer or a vette.

Well, my real reason is no. 1 all the way. Someday I'm going to be smoking five year + old Virginias as a normal thing and I'm really looking forward to that.
    ********.com

Puffer Fish with some spikes italiansmoker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    9. Legally purchased tobacco could end at any time, driving tobacco sales onto the black market. The tobacco Nazis have made enormous advances of late, so even if the underlying cost of tobacco doesn't go through the roof, even if the government doesn't outlaw tobacco outright, internet/interstate sales could end rather soon. Without the internet, we're at the mercy of state government taxation (think NY); without the internet, many would be stuck with Captain Black or worse at the local drug store (yes, there's talk of ending USPS/UPS shipments of tobacco, period). Is that "fallout shelter mentality"? Yes, it probably is.
    Holy words!

I cellar for the same reason as 1-9, that and I don't want to see the tobacco Nazi closing every avenue for me to purchase pipe tobacco.
    Already 2 states have banned the sales of internet tobacco purchases. The state of California is talking bout a tobacco free state. The state had a bill to outlaw smoking in smoking lounges, which if it had passed, my local B&M would probley have gone under, and I would have no place to smoke my pipes in peace.
    I wouldn't call myself a horder, but when I can afford, ( lately I can't due to a transmission job that ran me 2 grand) and I see something that hard to get I'm gonna jump on it.
    Soo words to the wise, get it while you can, otherwise the Nazi will take away your right to breathe
    troy

Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast