Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Laws on Shipping Guns?

This is a discussion on Laws on Shipping Guns? within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; This states "May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service" not about a private mail carrier....

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Re: Laws on Shipping Guns?

This states "May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service"
    not about a private mail carrier.
    "They must find it difficult... Those who have taken authority as the truth rather than truth as the authority."
    Gerald Massey

Puffer Fish with many spikes Junior's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M1903A1 View Post
    The only info I can contribute is that, AFAIK, you cannot ship firearms via the USPS. It has to be a private carrier.
    That is correct as far as I know. I have shipped long guns, and handguns. I always used UPS and stated they were going for repair, and I always taken out the firing pin or bolt depending on what it is. I also broke down the gun. I have never had a problem. It was always my understanding that you only have to have a FFL if it is A gun that you bought not one you own. in this case the guns being left to you by a loved one it would not be considered a purchase. If it really comes down to it you can ship them by plane by putting them in an airline safe case. You would have to call the airline to check there procedures.
    "God Created Men But Sam Colt Made 'em Equal"

I'll jump in here. When I was stationed in Turkey, I shipped several Turkish shotguns home threw the USPS. About 3 months before I left I would fill out some paperwork, send it to the AFT, get my approval copies back, box them up and send them threw the PO. I had to tape a copy of the paperwork on the out side of the box. They would get inspected at customs then be on their way to me at my folks house.

Here in the states I've sold a few pistols to others in out of state and went threw a FFL holder here in town to mail off the guns; he charged $25 to use his licence plus shipping.

When sending off the guns to a gunsmith, I can ship them myself threw a private shipper, i.e. FedEx, and after the work was done, the gunsmith would ship them back to me. It's expensive since the pistol need to ship over night so it runs about $40 depending on it's weight.

Here is some info about USPS.

B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]
    The only thing you should feel when shooting insurgents is recoil.

No longer a community member.

You are getting sound advice here. Weapons should be shipped from 1 licensee to another to be legal.

And it won't work to get tricky and send it in pieces. The receiver is the part that makes it a gun. On a Glock for example you can quickly strip it to the receiver (body), barrel, and slide. The body, even unattached to any other part is still considered the weapon.

But why doesn't your dad just take a vacation time and a road trip and visit his mom. Makes her week and he brings the guns back in the trunk padded by blankets.... Even east coast to west coast is worth it if you are seeing your mom!!!

If you choose to ship, the fee quoted of $25.00 is right on the money and if he doesn't know a FFL on his side he will pay it to pick it up too. That is $50.00 per gun before paying someone to pack it etc...

I am not a fish!

This post is over 18months old, not sure he is still looking for guidance.
    [SIZE=5]
    [/SIZE]

I once malied my S&W686 back to S&W for a
    recall firing pin repair and received it back by mail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2