Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Help with guns...

This is a discussion on Help with guns... within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; You can't go wrong with either a pistol or shotgun as a first/home defense gun. I would personally buy the ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes skyhigh340's Avatar

Re: Help with guns...

You can't go wrong with either a pistol or shotgun as a first/home defense gun. I would personally buy the shotgun first, and as far as your wife shooting it, if she has to use this gun while your gone the adreniline running through her will be more than enough to fire a 12 gauge. Either the mossberg or the remington are good first choices, both offer great reliability and reasonable price. My personal choice is the remmington, more aftermarket part options.
    As far as a handgun you need to go to the range with friends or a shop that rents handguns and see what you and your wife actually like to shoot, stick with a reliable brand. My personal choice is H&K because I like the feel of the gun in my hand. I would stay away from anything smaller than 9mm, my personal favorites are 40s&w and 45acp. Welcome to the world of shooting!
    Freedom is NOT Free!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish billhud's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bax View Post
    For stopping power it's hard to beat a .45 auto or a 357 mag revolver. They're expensive to shoot though.
    Actually if you handload (which can be a hobby in and of itself) they are dirt cheap to shoot. Most find they don't save money when reloading though snce they just shoot more for the same expenditure. I used to shoot approximately 10,000 .45 ACP cartridges a year and handloaded every one of them.

I still have a couple of thousand .45 ACP casesand never bought a one of those. Some have been reloaded and fired so many times you can no longer read the head stamps. Straight walled pistol cases are great for that. Split necks from work hardening from several bellings and crimpings are usually their downfall.
    "A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." --- [SIZE=2]Theodore Roosevelt, 4 July 1903[/SIZE]

billhud gave some pretty good advice (although I'd go with Ruger, i.e. 4" GP101 before I'd go with Smith. They're good guns and lower priced than Smiths). I think revolvers are the easist and safest "first guns". If you live in a big city, there are probably ranges that have guns for rent so you can try them out. When you do buy a handgun, since you said you wouldn't be able to go to a range, you can improve your shooting skills by dry firing. (that means, check, check and re-check that the gun is unloaded and never pull the trigger while aimed at something you don't want to destroy. Most say "snap caps" are not necessary for this but they sure can't hurt.)

You can do a search on this forum. We just had a similar discussion. Better yet, sign up at: The Firing Line and THR - Powered by vBulletin and spend some time on the forums and ask questions.

Springfield, Smith& Wesson and Ruger are well known for their good warranties, customer service and good products.

WyoBob
    WyoBob

Punch Suckling in Brain Funnymantrip's Avatar

Be aware though, this is another slope that you are about to take a slide down.
    My story condenced version
    First you get a revolver (colt king cobra) because you take the advice that they are good starter guns. You love it, but your friends all have autos, and you want an auto too. So you buy one of those but a value priced one (star 9mm) . Then you get another auto because you need a named brand auto (glock 23) and eventully jump on a brand new model auto when you first see it at the store (sig 229).

Now you start looking at 1911's because its a 1911. You get a fullsize cause who wouldn't want one. Now you need a short 1911 because they look cool. Then low and behold you convince youself that another full size would be perfect for you because it has cool scales on the slide.

Oh not to forget rifles. You start out saying I just want ww2 stuff, because you are a buff. Get the Russian 91/30, then an enfield, and of course you need a garand because everyone needs one of those. You are fine with your surplus rifles. Then you convince yourself you really want to have an AR just because. Then you play with an AK at the range one day but you need one of those too. 47 or 74 why not go with both. So you do.
    Are you suggesting Coconuts Migrate?

Full grown Puffer Fish chupacabrah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funnymantrip View Post
    Be aware though, this is another slope that you are about to take a slide down.
    My story condenced version
    First you get a revolver (colt king cobra) because you take the advice that they are good starter guns. You love it, but your friends all have autos, and you want an auto too. So you buy one of those but a value priced one (star 9mm) . Then you get another auto because you need a named brand auto (glock 23) and eventully jump on a brand new model auto when you first see it at the store (sig 229).

Now you start looking at 1911's because its a 1911. You get a fullsize cause who wouldn't want one. Now you need a short 1911 because they look cool. Then low and behold you convince youself that another full size would be perfect for you because it has cool scales on the slide.

Oh not to forget rifles. You start out saying I just want ww2 stuff, because you are a buff. Get the Russian 91/30, then an enfield, and of course you need a garand because everyone needs one of those. You are fine with your surplus rifles. Then you convince yourself you really want to have an AR just because. Then you play with an AK at the range one day but you need one of those too. 47 or 74 why not go with both. So you do.

i can see how that would be easy to happen....if i had the money i would be WAY down that slope already.....not to mention the cigar slope.

Good thing I've gotta stick to a strict budget.....for now
    -Jon

If you have never shot a handgun before a 45 might be a little too much for you. In that case you might want to look at a 40 or a 9mm. I would suggest going to a gun store renting several different caliburs and see what YOU can handle. Just remember you could have the best gun in the world, but if you can't hit the broad side of a barn because it's too much for you it does you no good.

Actually in the same model firearm, the perceived recoil the the .40 will be worse than the .45.
    "A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." --- [SIZE=2]Theodore Roosevelt, 4 July 1903[/SIZE]

Full grown Puffer Fish chupacabrah's Avatar

assuming I go with a shotgun for now (and a revolver later--probably .357 mag....and maybe a semi-auto handgun even later...), what are you guys' opinions as far as 12 gauge vs. 20 gauge?

.410 bore seems a little small, and ammo is actually more expensive than the larger ones, i think.
    -Jon

Quote Originally Posted by billhud View Post
    Actually in the same model firearm, the perceived recoil the the .40 will be worse than the .45.
    Percieved and acctual are often different things. I was watching a show on the South LA bank shoot out and they said that the police accadamy went to 40 because they were having trouble getting recruits that could handle the 45. Now I don't know if that is true or not but that is what they reported.

As far as percieved and acctual goes I have heard of many situations where the general thought said one thing, but actual tests proved the other.

My point was that he or anybody should go with the calibur that that person can handle with accuracy. I heard R. Lee Earmy say once that he would choose one lower calibur well placed shot with accuracy over a dozen high calibur missed shots.

Punch Suckling in Brain Funnymantrip's Avatar

IMHO I did not like the snap of the glock 23. My brother in law has the compact xd 45 with the same snappy recoil. Now a 45 ACP out of a full size government I think has much much less. Even my little ultra carry does not have much snap to it. A little extra weight is a good thing when it comes to percieved recoil.
    Are you suggesting Coconuts Migrate?

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    Percieved and acctual are often different things.

Peceived is what affects shooters. "Percieived" recoil is "felt" recoil. Stock and grip confgurations affect perceived recoil, as an example. Much more tha cartridge must be considered. The .40 has more erceived recoil than the .45 in the same model firearm. It's for the same reason a PPK in .380 has such a sharp bark on the hand.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish kjjm4's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chupacabrah View Post
    assuming I go with a shotgun for now (and a revolver later--probably .357 mag....and maybe a semi-auto handgun even later...), what are you guys' opinions as far as 12 gauge vs. 20 gauge?

.410 bore seems a little small, and ammo is actually more expensive than the larger ones, i think.
    you can shoot light loads out of a 12 and more or less duplicate 20 gauge performance, but you can never make a 20 gauge into a 12 gauge. Really, the only thing the 20 has over a 12 is less recoil and it fits in a lighter gun. If recoil really bothers you or you want a light gun for upland game hunting, a 20 gauge is a good choice. For home defense, a 12 is much better, IMO.

A .410 is expensive to shoot, and in terms of self defense, its better than throwing rocks, but not much better. I have a .410 that I sometimes use for squirrels and rabbits, but I wouldn't shoot anything bigger with it.

In terms of all-around versatility, a good 12 gauge pump is really all you'll ever need in a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by chupacabrah View Post

my girl is 110 5'6 and can shoot 45.acp all day long also a 9mm and 38. but i have seen my girl along with friends girls have hard time with shottys because of haveing to pump a round each time. plus they are not good for real close fights. such as face to face or if you are tackled to the ground

i would say every one is seting you in the right track. a wheel gun is nice to have but 2 things i to look out for is
    1. 357 recoil is a lot and trying to bring that muzzel down for a second shot fast is hard compared to a 38+p
    2. most people new to guns wil find a rev. harder to load than a semi.

my back up ccw is a 442 saw in 38spl+p i love it

dont for get to make sure your girl can use the gun also.

just a few thoughts for you

I vote shotgun for home defence.

There is no scarier sound then the sound of a shotgun racking. I'd much rather the criminal run away then deal with having a confrontation with bullets in the air and then dealing with the police and possible legal action.

So yeah, shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by billhud View Post

Again

.45 is not bad at all and your gf could handle it no problem. Some many choices you have to make just make sure whatever you do you train train train train and then train again.

As said multiple times above, the firearm you choose is worthless if you cannot use it.

I still think a 12g is a good choice for home defense.

Shawn

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast