Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Help with guns...

This is a discussion on Help with guns... within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by RGD Yeah but - what if there is like a whole gaggle of them? Simply use a ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish billhud's Avatar

Re: Help with guns...

Quote Originally Posted by RGD View Post
    Yeah but - what if there is like a whole gaggle of them?
    Simply use a speedloader for a revolver as you do a magazine for an autoloader. My daily carry M1911A1 only has seven cartridges in the magazine.

I mean sure - six rounds takes care of the first six bad guys - but what about the other 12 marauding Uzi toting degenerates hell bent on ...
    Then it really doesn't matter what autoloader you carry, does it?
    Last edited by billhud; 02-08-2008 at 08:52 AM.
    "A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." --- [SIZE=2]Theodore Roosevelt, 4 July 1903[/SIZE]

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish billhud's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrishCorona View Post
    IME, You can't beat 9mm for Newbies........PERIOD!
    By 9mm I assume you also refer to an auto loading pistol. I'll dissent and say revolvers beat auto loaders for newbies hands down.
    "A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." --- [SIZE=2]Theodore Roosevelt, 4 July 1903[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by RGD View Post
    You know what Bob - I need to come and hang out with you. Camera's, guns, cigars and fishing out in God's country. Of course I don't know how to fish - but that's just a minor detail - I can fake it -
    Ron
    "Come on down!" We can fix the fish problem

I'd be happy to host a "Bighorn Mountain" herf. This is a great place to vacation (but you don't want to live here---)

WyoBob
    WyoBob

Full grown Puffer Fish chupacabrah's Avatar

I'm going to the firing range next week after work with a guy I work with (he's from texas...has lots of guns).

I can rent a taurus .357 and see how I like it. Or just about any other gun/caliber i'd want.

they also have a conceal carry class, that includes 5 month membership
    -Jon

Puffer Fish with some spikes Rudder's Avatar

I havent read all the replies but this is the gun I carry. Extremely versitile gun.
    http://www.taurususa.com/video/tauru...udge-video.cfm

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish RETSF's Avatar

Ok, I'm gonna add my . Wyobob and billhud are both right on target. After 30 years of carrying firearms (and still carrying). First forget about going after the bad guy on a home invasion unless absoutely necessary and as a last resort. You'er mixing apples and oranges , when it comes to home defence vs personal carry. Second, by reading the thread I gather that your spouse will be relying on the firearm for home defense. Home defense is as it implies: defense, not offense but defense. With that said in a home the occupant makes their defensive stand from a point in the home (usually the bedroom) secures the door (which will only slow the intruder down a bit). Doing so will allow you some time, not much, but hopefully enough to get a call for help out, the phone in one hand (hands free - speaker type phones are a plus, you'er not tied to one spot, with both hands free hopefully you'll have time to get your mind right and defend yourself. From the defensive standpoint the shotgun loaded with at least #4 or #6 shot (hunting load) or maybe BB size shot is best for home protection. The thought process is simple, you the defender are not going anywhere - you established the last line of of defense both with a physical barrier(s), issue warnings to an intruder that your armed and to stay back and leave the home immediately. So why a shotgun?????? Simply put, you only have to point it in the general direction of a threat coming at you: there will 0 time for you to use marksmanship fundamentals as used with the pistol/revolver. With a pump action simply point and shoot with out aiming. Keep in mind on the rifle/pistol range the target is not moving. During a home invasion the and threat has broken through your last line of defense and refuses stop, ect..... With a moving target; how many of ya'll can hit a fast moving target at close quarters with a pistol/revolver and actually hit the target. The shotgun without a doubt is the most effective self defence firearm. Looking at many of the entries except for a few, everyone needs an automatic, For two non-shooters stay away from them - keep everything simple - With a double action revolver you can immediately engage a threat with a min of 2 shots along with another , autos in the hands of new shooters, the worst ones are those who watch all the police shows on T.V and think that if actors can do it so can I. Don't even try anything that you see on TV where the actor moves around the house, confronts the intruder in the middle of the night with a handgun. You might just get it taken away from you by the bad guy and turned on you.

Just my
    LIBERTY "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin's contributions to the Conference on Feb 17th 1775

Full grown Puffer Fish chupacabrah's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Help with guns...

Hey guys. following up on this, and re-reading everything in the thread, I figured i'd inform you guys of my purchase(s).

I went to the range with a guy from work (turns out there's a range not too far away), and we shot some of his guns. .38 spl, .40 s&w sig229, .45 1911. Got a pretty good feel of what i'd like and can handle and everything. the .45 was nice, but I think the .40 was my favorite of those rounds. I didn't really like the revolver very much.

So I started reading a lot, and searching around on thehighroad.org. went to the gun store. got a pistol permit from the sheriff (as is required here in NC).

And I decided on a semi-auto Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm.
    My reasons were several.....
    -ammo is cheaper, for one.
    -I found that it isn't very hard to maintain, strpping and cleaning is not very difficult.
    -low recoil
    -the MP9 just felt very natural in my hand. the Springfield XD was another top contender, and glock as well. all running about the same retail prices.
    -the S&W is offering $50 mail in rebate on the MP's, with two additional 17 round magazines through april. which made this gun a GREAT deal.
    - i read this review (and several others): http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP.htm
    -... http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP9.htm

I guess that's about all. I also went ahead and signed up for a CCW class at the range, which also gives me a membership so i can go practice as much as I would like. I probably won't carry this gun concealed, I'll get another later on for that, something smaller.

and....just so you all know I did read all of the replies....
    tomorrow I'm getting a great deal on a 12 gauge pump shotgun.... $100!

aaaand down another slope i go....

once again, thanks for all of your help and inputs, they were all greatly valued and useful!
    Last edited by chupacabrah; 02-28-2008 at 09:54 PM.
    -Jon

Full grown Puffer Fish ShaulWolf's Avatar

Congrats on your purchase. Glad you like your new handgun; be sure to show us some photos of you being a BAMF.

Evolving Conservative Ape warden291's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chupacabrah View Post
    Hey guys. following up on this, and re-reading everything in the thread, I figured i'd inform you guys of my purchase(s).

I went to the range with a guy from work (turns out there's a range not too far away), and we shot some of his guns. .38 spl, .40 s&w sig229, .45 1911. Got a pretty good feel of what i'd like and can handle and everything. the .45 was nice, but I think the .40 was my favorite of those rounds. I didn't really like the revolver very much.

So I started reading a lot, and searching around on thehighroad.org. went to the gun store. got a pistol permit from the sheriff (as is required here in NC).

And I decided on a semi-auto Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm.
    My reasons were several.....
    -ammo is cheaper, for one.
    -I found that it isn't very hard to maintain, strpping and cleaning is not very difficult.
    -low recoil
    -the MP9 just felt very natural in my hand. the Springfield XD was another top contender, and glock as well. all running about the same retail prices.
    -the S&W is offering $50 mail in rebate on the MP's, with two additional 17 round magazines through april. which made this gun a GREAT deal.
    - i read this review (and several others): http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP.htm
    -... http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP9.htm

I guess that's about all. I also went ahead and signed up for a CCW class at the range, which also gives me a membership so i can go practice as much as I would like. I probably won't carry this gun concealed, I'll get another later on for that, something smaller.

and....just so you all know I did read all of the replies....
    tomorrow I'm getting a great deal on a 12 gauge pump shotgun.... $100!

aaaand down another slope i go....

once again, thanks for all of your help and inputs, they were all greatly valued and useful!

Hey Jon,

I think you made a good choice the 9mm is much cheaper to practice with and I noticed that you planned on doing some practicing from what you stated earlier.....GOOD MAN!!
    Many people buy a gun for home protection and never practice with it ...very dumb. God forbid you ever have to use it ...but if you do you definately don't want to have to think about anything but defending you and your family.

Glad to also see that you decided against the 45. They make a big boom but they are very expensive to practice with and the lady of the house would more than likely have trouble shooting with it. The recoil with that bad boy is more than most women need. If a 45 is not gripped properly, (which is often the case with the ladies), a stove pipe situation commonly occurs. Nothing worse than a jammed ejector port when your better half is trying to squeeze a second round at a bad guy coming up the steps.

Well...that's my

Hope you never have to use it Bro.
    "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything."
    Aaron Tippin

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/c...jects/CTDSites

Puffer Fish with some spikes NHsmoker's Avatar

I own a glock and love it and as to people saying don't buy a 9mm I disagree. If a 9mm isn't enough to stop somebody your just not shooting well enough. I own 2 9mm a 357 mag a 45 and some 22s and I always carry the 9 ammo is cheap so you can practice a lot, it has less recoil than a 45 so your wife may be comfortable using it and with the right ammo has plenty of stopping power.

Quote Originally Posted by chupacabrah View Post

Just admit you bought the gun after getting her the stun gun below...
    ----------

Pocket Taser Stun Gun, a great gift for the wife. A guy who purchased
    his lovely wife a pocket Taser for their anniversary submitted this.

Last weekend I saw something at Larry's Pistol & Pawn Shop that sparked
    my interest. The occasion was our 15th anniversary and I was looking for
    a little something extra for my wife Julie. What I came across was a
    100,000-volt, pocket/purse-sized taser. The effects of the taser were
    supposed to be short lived, with no long-term adverse affect on your
    assailant, allowing her adequate time to retreat to safety....??

'WAY TOO COOL! Long story short, I bought the device and brought it
    home.

I loaded two AAA batteries in the darn thing and pushed the button.
    Nothing!

I was disappointed. I learned, however, that if I pushed the button AND
    pressed it against a metal surface at the same time; I'd get the blue arc of
    electricity darting back and forth between the prongs.

AWESOME!!!
    Unfortunately, I have yet to explain to her what that burn spot is on
    the face of her microwave.

Okay, so I was home alone with this new toy, thinking to myself that it
    couldn't be all that bad with only two triple-A batteries, right?

There I sat in my recliner, my cat Gracie looking on intently (trusting
    little soul) while I was reading the directions and thinking that I really
    needed to try this thing out on a flesh & blood moving target........
    I must admit, I thought about zapping Gracie (for a fraction of a second)
    and thought better of it. She is such a sweet cat. But, if I was going
    to give this thing to my wife to protect herself against a mugger, I did
    want some assurance that it would work as advertised. Am I wrong?

So, there I sat in a pair of shorts and a tank top with my reading
    glasses perched delicately on the bridge of my nose, directions in one hand, and
    taser in another.

The directions said that a one-second burst would shock and disorient
    your assailant; a two-second burst was supposed to cause muscle spasms
    and a major loss of bodily control; a three-second burst would
    purportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water. Any burst
    longer than three seconds would be wasting the batteries.? ?

All the while I'm looking at this little device measuring about 5' long,
    less than 3/4 inch in ccumference; pretty cute, really, and (loaded with two
    itsy, bitsy triple-A batteries) thinking to myself,
    'no possible way!'
    What happened next is almost beyond description, but I'll do my best..??

I'm sitting there alone, Gracie looking on with her head cocked to one
    side as to say, 'don't do it master,' reasoning that a one-second burst
    from such a tiny little ole thing couldn't hurt all that bad. I decided
    to give myself a one-second burst just for heck of it. I touched the prongs to
    my naked thigh, pushed the button, and . . ..

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION!

I'm pretty sure Jessie Ventura ran in through the side door, picked me
    up in the recliner, then body slammed us both on the carpet, over and over
    and over again.

I vaguely recall waking up on my side in the fetal position, with tears
    in my eyes, body soaking wet, both nipples on fire, testicles nowhere to
    be found, with my left arm tucked under my body in the oddest position,
    and tingling in my legs?

The cat was standing over me making meowing sounds I had never heard
    before, licking my face, undoubtedly thinking to herself, 'Do it again,
    stupid, do it again!'

Note:

If you ever feel compelled to 'mug' yourself with a taser, one note
    of caution: there is no such thing as a one-second burst when you zap
    yourself! You will not let go of that thing until it is dislodged from your hand
    by a violent thrashing about on the floor.

A three-second burst would be considered conservative?

SON-OF-A-... That hurt like **% !!! A minute or so later (I can't be
    sure, as time was a relative thing at that point), I collected my wits
    (what little I had left), sat up and surveyed the landscape. My bent
    reading glasses were on the mantel of the fireplace. How did they get up
    there???

My triceps, right thigh and both nipples were still twitching.
    My face felt like it had been shot up with Novocain, and my bottom lip
    weighed 88 lbs.

I'm still looking for my testicles! I'm offering a significant reward
    for their safe return!! Still in shock!

P. S. My wife loved the gift, and now regularly threatens me with it!

'If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid.
    Begging won't make it hurt less.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5