Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Help with guns...

This is a discussion on Help with guns... within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; hey guys... similar to CigarMonkel's thread, but slightly different. I've been wanting a gun for quite some time, but never ...

Full grown Puffer Fish chupacabrah's Avatar

Smile Help with guns...

hey guys...

similar to CigarMonkel's thread, but slightly different.

I've been wanting a gun for quite some time, but never actually went through with it.

at some point in the future, i would like several, but for right now I just want something mainly for home protection, and possibly target/fun shooting out in the country. I won't be hunting.

What I have been considering are a Mossberg 500 special purpose shotgun (such as the 500 persuader or cruiser), or a Glock.

I havent decided on caliber... maybe .45 auto.
    for shotgun leaning towards 12 gauge, but 20 may be an option being the woman of the house may have to use it if i'm not here.

I will only be getting one of these two for now, but what do you guys think as to what would best suit my situation: which gun, and what model/round size for the gun?

also is there much difference in a shotgun with or without the stock?

Thanks!
    -Jon

JPH

Re: Help with guns...

I love my .45 Ruger (p97)

Get a lot of bang for your buck.
    ~Jeremy ~
    [SIZE="4"]Go Browns[/SIZE]
    http://www.myspace.com/jeremy_jph

Puffer Fish with many spikes Lorglath's Avatar

If you are looking for a carry gun I really like my Kahr PM40, it is small, light, and packs a powerful enough bullet. I can wear it on my belt and no one knows it is there, it is a bit big for a pocket gun, but possible

a shoty is a good gun to have but 2 problems with it for hom def. its long and not to much ammo.

45.acp is the best place to start. or if you want a rev. a 38.spl is good.

best 45.acp
    hk- $$$$$$ but a darn good gun
    sig-nice but not a simple gun
    glock -old feel funny
    xd-i love the feel cheap hard to stop working
    1911-$$$$$$$$$$ for a dead on one

there are tons of others out there best thing is to just shoot and make up you mind form there. most gun stores will tell you to get a smith and wes rev. if you are new to guns but a 45 auto will be a better bet.

At Cigar A s y l u m :) Ratters's Avatar

I'd look at getting a decent 9mm like a Glock or a Beretta. The Sig refurbs are a good deal too. 9mm is now a little over half the cost of .45. Most ammo is just getting more and more expensive. You're better off getting a gun you can afford to practice with.

And if you do go the shotty route, I'd stay away from the "cruiser" style. They really suck to shoot and you're much better off with a stock on a shotgun. I have a few shotguns, but for a pump I'm partial to the Winchester Defender. It has a really nice slick action to it.

But before you buy a handgun go to a range that rents or find a buddy with a lot of guns and find the one that fits your hand best. A lot of people love the HK USP series, but for me they are so uncomfortable I suck at shooting them.

Actually for home protection either a handgun or a shotgun will work. Both you can have fun in the field with.

Handgun: I say either a .45acp or 40S&W. (don't get a 9mm)

Glocks are strong but go handle one first because some do not like the feel of them (I am one of those people)

1911 always a great choice but pricey.
    HK same as 1911 but holds more rounds.
    SpringField XD is a nice one.
    Magnum Research BabyEagle very well build (unlike their desert eagle)

Shotgun: The mossberg is a great choice. Either the 500 SP or maybe a 590 SP or 590a1.

Shotguns are not to long if you get one with a 18" barrel and add an adjustible buttstock. The shotgun holds as many rounds as my 1911 if you get one with a 18" barrel and extended mag tube.

Remington 870 is another pump you could look into they also have similar models out.

For the gf/wife:

I would still get a 12g. You can get low recoil tactical buckshot that packs a punch and won't kill her shoulder. There is a stock that is availible now by Knoxx that will work on a 500/590 ot 870 that reduces recoil so that is an option as well. You can adjust the LOP which is good also if both you and your wife would be using it.

These really work are not cheaply made, it's not a gimick.

http://www.knoxx.com/products/SpecOps_Stock.php

Shawn

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish billhud's Avatar

If you are new to shooting or will not discipline yoursef to regularly get to the range, get yourself a double action revolver chambered in .357 Mag . It'll shoot .38 Spec too. A second choice would be a revolver chambered in .38 Spec.

A revolver's manual of arms is much simpler than an autoloader's, and most DA revolver malfunctions require nothing more than pulling the trigger again to present a new cartridge and get a bullet out of the bore on its way down range.

Start by looking at what Smith & Wesson offers. Try the firearms you are interested in first before you buy. Then find an instructor and get a little training.
    "A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." --- [SIZE=2]Theodore Roosevelt, 4 July 1903[/SIZE]

wow thanks for all of the input, guys.

I'd kind of thought about revolvers too, but most people I've talked to said to go ahead and get a semi-auto.

I've always loved the .357 magnum /.38 spl setup. makes it cheap to practice

I probably wont be able to get to the range more than once a month or so, but i will definitely learn everything i can about it, and take classes or whatever. gun safety is important.

a guy I work with told me he loves the Remington 870 also.

hmm

I guess whenever I go to the gun store i'll look around and look at all of the options, and handle some. then see what I can afford. Honestly with my budget right now, it'll probably be a shotgun, unless revolvers are cheaper, too. the semi-autos i've seen arent cheap-- my brother got his glock 9mm for like $400.

thanks for all of the advice, if you think of something else, add to this as i probably wont actually buy a gun for another week or so. I've got to do some shopping around, now
    -Jon

Quote Originally Posted by chupacabrah View Post
    wow thanks for all of the input, guys.

I'd kind of thought about revolvers too, but most people I've talked to said to go ahead and get a semi-auto.

And for what reason did those people give you that advice?

I recommend a revolver, based on the training and practice you imply you now lack and the limited range time you indicate you'll probably use for training/practice in the future.

Don't let anyone pull the wool over your eyes and tell you a well built revolver is not good enough or adeqate, especially for the purposes you indicate. Anyone saying such is likely doing so from a point of ignorance.
    "A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." --- [SIZE=2]Theodore Roosevelt, 4 July 1903[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by billhud View Post
    And for what reason did those people give you that advice?

I recommend a revolver, based on the training and practice you imply you now lack and the limited range time you indicate you'll probably use for training/practice in the future.

Don't let anyone pull the wool over your eyes and tell you a well built revolver is not good enough or adeqate, especially for the purposes you indicate. Anyone saying such is likely doing so from a point of ignorance.

no one has ever given a good reason.... other than saying they're "outdated"
    or something like "this isn't the wild west" haha

I've always kind of liked 'em. and like you said, my knowledge and experience right now is limited

by the way, it always amazes me the skillset of everyone on this board. such a good mix of different types of people means someone always is very knowledgable about SOMETHING
    -Jon

When it comes to the handgun I am a personal advocate for the Heckler & Kosh USP. They come in a variety of calibers, and sizes.

A handgun is not something I would recommend for home defense though. If that is what you have in mind for a first weapon, I would go with a shotgun. A 20g would work great.

If revolvers are outdated so are autoloaders. Ain't like autoloaders are a new breakthrough. Regarding firearms, there is very little new onder the sun.

If a S&W hand ejector is outdated (the M&P was introduced in 1899) how is a 1911/1911A1 not out-dated (it was introdced with its military adoption in 1911)? Like I posted earlier, those who tell you a well built revolver is not good enough or adeqate for the purposes you indicate are speaking from a point of ignorance. That includes statements of them being outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnP View Post
    SpringField XD is a nice one.
    Shawn
    That is what I've got in a .40. Very nice to shoot.

My dad has the compact but it of course is harder to aim.
    "Make all you can, save all you can, give all you can."

-John Wesley

Bax

I think it really depends on you and your family. Is your wife/girlfriend going to ues it? If so a small frame revolver may be best since some women have trouble chambering the auto's. Also the size and feel is important for you too.

Head to a nice gun range and rent a few and give them all a run. For stopping power it's hard to beat a .45 auto or a 357 mag revolver. They're expensive to shoot though. 9mm is a fine weapon and is plenty for home defense, it's also a bit cheaper to shoot if you really start to pour through the ammo, but the all important first shot stopping power isn't there.

I would also recommend a .22 to practice with. They're very cheap to shoot and very accurate. You can hone your skill without dropping $1-1.75 a round, sometimes higher if you get a 40 cal.

Shotguns are a whole different animal and I really don't have the experience to comment on those too much. If you have any questions about any pistol, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

Happy Shooting.

No longer a community member. St. Lou Stu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chupacabrah View Post
    no one has ever given a good reason.... other than saying they're "outdated"
    or something like "this isn't the wild west" haha

I've always kind of liked 'em. and like you said, my knowledge and experience right now is limited

by the way, it always amazes me the skillset of everyone on this board. such a good mix of different types of people means someone always is very knowledgable about SOMETHING
    That's pure BS!
    I can drive tacks at 50-75 yards with my trusty S/W 686 that is pure stock.
    Lets see an off the shelf semi-auto do that for under $750. Hell, under $1500 for that matter.
    Ain't gona happen without some work on it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast