Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 665
Like Tree5Likes

Post a pic of your gun!

This is a discussion on Post a pic of your gun! within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by cedjunior A 1911 should be able to function properly with any quality FMJ or hollow points. Not ...

  
  1. #226

    THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    Quote Originally Posted by cedjunior View Post
    A 1911 should be able to function properly with any quality FMJ or hollow points.

    Not true unmodified guns like my all original 1911 Colt Commander . Have a hard time with 185 grain hollow points. And almost any other except for 230 grain ball ammo. The long slide and tight spring will not cycle and if they do wont feed . My officers model has had many modifications It will still hang up on Win. 185 gr. STHP's on feeding but will feed nearly 100% with other HP's.
    It's one of the best 1911's that I've ever shot and i have shot and owned quite a few.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix



  2. #227

    Semi-Automatic cedjunior's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    Not true unmodified guns like my all original 1911 Colt Commander . Have a hard time with 185 grain hollow points. And almost any other except for 230 grain ball ammo. The long slide and tight spring will not cycle and if they do wont feed . My officers model has had many modifications It will still hang up on Win. 185 gr. STHP's on feeding but will feed nearly 100% with other HP's.
    It's one of the best 1911's that I've ever shot and i have shot and owned quite a few.
    If you're having issues with your gun, that doesn't mean that all 1911s can't feed hollow points reliably out of the box.

    If you are having feeding issues, you may want to try different magazines. Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Check Mate, or my favorite Chip McCormick Power Mags are all top quality and can sometimes alleviate feeding issues caused by inferior or out of spec mags. A rough or improperly cut feed ramp on the frame may also be causing too much drag on the tip of the bullet preventing it from feeding.
    My cheap favorites:
    Tampa Sweethearts Maduro
    Famous Nic 3000
    Onyx Reserve

  3. #228

    THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    Quote Originally Posted by cedjunior View Post
    If you're having issues with your gun, that doesn't mean that all 1911s can't feed hollow points reliably out of the box.

    If you are having feeding issues, you may want to try different magazines. Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Check Mate, or my favorite Chip McCormick Power Mags are all top quality and can sometimes alleviate feeding issues caused by inferior or out of spec mags. A rough or improperly cut feed ramp on the frame may also be causing too much drag on the tip of the bullet preventing it from feeding.
    I have already decided to covert my Commander into a pin gun at which point it would only shoot 230 grain ball ammo in competition. I do appreciate the suggestions though as for my officers model. To be honest while it is modified i carry it for personal defense. So i carry a full clip one in the pipe cocked and locked of
    Federal Premium Ammo Premium Personal Defense .45 ACP Hydra-Shok JHP 230 Grain Ammo.
    it feeds reliably and is a great personal defense round. Never had a hang up i still shoot 185 grain at the range but to be honest that's only to use them up.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix



  4. #229

    Full grown Puffer Fish dirletra's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    The original design was meant to shoot ball ammo and was designed with a kinda shallow feed ramp (which is why the original design doesn't always feed HP). The optimal angle of the feed ramp is 31.5 degrees. If you get a depth micrometer and measure from the top of the rails down to where the ramp starts you should be looking for a depth of about .415". This should make it feed just about everything. I struggled with this on a my recent build and got it to the point that i can slow feed anything into it. i love it.

  5. #230

    Puffer Fish with some spikes JackH's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    Quote Originally Posted by cedjunior View Post
    A 1911 should be able to function properly with any quality FMJ or hollow points.
    Don't bet your life on it.
    Do unto others - then split!

  6. #231

    Semi-Automatic cedjunior's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    Quote Originally Posted by JackH View Post
    Don't bet your life on it.
    I do every day I carry my 1911. Thousands of rounds, no jams.
    My cheap favorites:
    Tampa Sweethearts Maduro
    Famous Nic 3000
    Onyx Reserve

  7. #232

    Puffer Fish with some spikes JackH's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    Quote Originally Posted by cedjunior View Post
    I do every day I carry my 1911. Thousands of rounds, no jams.
    Which was the point I tried to make. Your original statement implied that any well made hollow point can be loaded into your clips and confidently carried. My answer implied that until you fired multiple clips of a given hollow point round, and found them to feed without jamming, you should not bet your life on them.
    Do unto others - then split!

  8. #233

    Semi-Automatic cedjunior's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    Quote Originally Posted by JackH View Post
    Which was the point I tried to make. Your original statement implied that any well made hollow point can be loaded into your magazines and confidently carried. My answer implied that until you fired multiple magazines of a given hollow point round, and found them to feed without jamming, you should not bet your life on them.
    I don't want to take this thread much farther OT that it's already gone, but let me clarify the statement I made.

    My statement was that (aside from super tight fitting customs like Les Baer, etc that require a break in period) any 1911 out of the box should reliably feed and fire any current factory hollow point ammunition. If your 1911 continually has issues with feeding hollow point ammunition, then the issue is with that particular 1911 and does not mean that all 1911s don't feed it reliably without modification. Verifying your weapon is reliable will whatever ammunition you choose to carry with it is besides the point and completely unrelated to the original point I was making. You should be verifying that your weapon functions properly whether its a 1911, Glock, HK, SW, Sig or anything else. Your statement seemed to imply "Don't bet your life on a 1911 loaded with hollow points".
    My cheap favorites:
    Tampa Sweethearts Maduro
    Famous Nic 3000
    Onyx Reserve

  9. #234

    THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    Look jams with hollow point ammo in 1911 pistols is quite common with certain ammo. If you think i am lie-in ask any gun smith or visit any shop. Join a forum 185 grain seem to be the worst especially in older Commanders. If you have one that digests everything. Your case is the exception and not the norm. Put 100 1911 owners in a room i bet ya 95 agree with that statement. Now have a nice cigar and relax gents. Its not personal we are just swapping info.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix



  10. #235

    Up on One ckay's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    I wondered how long it would take for a 1911 debate to come up.

  11. #236

    Semi-Automatic cedjunior's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    Quote Originally Posted by ckay View Post
    I wondered how long it would take for a 1911 debate to come up.
    yeah it didn't have to, but I hate to see misinformation go unanswered.
    My cheap favorites:
    Tampa Sweethearts Maduro
    Famous Nic 3000
    Onyx Reserve

  12. #237

    Semi-Automatic cedjunior's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    Look jams with hollow point ammo in 1911 pistols is quite common with certain ammo. If you think i am lie-in ask any gun smith or visit any shop. Join a forum 185 grain seem to be the worst especially in older Commanders. If you have one that digests everything. Your case is the exception and not the norm. Put 100 1911 owners in a room i bet ya 95 agree with that statement. Now have a nice cigar and relax gents. Its not personal we are just swapping info.
    I own 2 1911s, both of which feel hollow points reliably out of the box.

    The folks over at
    The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site
    1911Forum
    The Firing Line
    THR - Powered by vBulletin

    would disagree with your statement.
    My cheap favorites:
    Tampa Sweethearts Maduro
    Famous Nic 3000
    Onyx Reserve

  13. #238

    THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    Quote Originally Posted by cedjunior View Post
    I own 2 1911s, both of which feel hollow points reliably out of the box.

    The folks over at
    The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site
    1911Forum
    The Firing Line
    THR - Powered by vBulletin

    would disagree with your statement.

    Mine feeds them reliably to as long as they are 230 grain federal hydra shock didn't you read my earlier post. The original complaint was against 185 grain hollow points. Now if you own 2 1911 pistols that fire every single brand and weight of hollow point ammo flawlessly. You my man are truly blessed, read this as it is good reading. Before you answer ask yourself why you would i carry anything less than 230 grain.


    Read this:

    Medal of Honor Recipient *BAKER, THOMAS A.

    Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company A, 105th Infantry, 27th Infantry Division. Place and date: Saipan, Mariana Islands, 19 June to 7 July 1944. Entered service at: Troy, N.Y. Birth: Troy, N.Y. G.O. No.: 35, 9 May 1945. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty at Saipan, Mariana Islands, 19 June to 7 July 1944. When his entire company was held up by fire from automatic weapons and small-arms fire from strongly fortified enemy positions that commanded the view of the company, Sgt. (then Pvt.) Baker voluntarily took a bazooka and dashed alone to within 100 yards of the enemy. Through heavy rifle and machinegun fire that was directed at him by the enemy, he knocked out the strong point, enabling his company to assault the ridge. Some days later while his company advanced across the open field flanked with obstructions and places of concealment for the enemy, Sgt. Baker again voluntarily took up a position in the rear to protect the company against surprise attack and came upon 2 heavily fortified enemy pockets manned by 2 officers and 10 enlisted men which had been bypassed. Without regard for such superior numbers, he unhesitatingly attacked and killed all of them. Five hundred yards farther, he discovered 6 men of the enemy who had concealed themselves behind our lines and destroyed all of them. On 7 July 1944, the perimeter of which Sgt. Baker was a part was attacked from 3 sides by from 3,000 to 5,000 Japanese. During the early stages of this attack, Sgt. Baker was seriously wounded but he insisted on remaining in the line and fired at the enemy at ranges sometimes as close as 5 yards until his ammunition ran out. Without ammunition and with his own weapon battered to uselessness from hand-to-hand combat, he was carried about 50 yards to the rear by a comrade, who was then himself wounded. At this point Sgt. Baker refused to be moved any farther stating that he preferred to be left to die rather than risk the lives of any more of his friends. A short time later, at his request, he was placed in a sitting position against a small tree . Another comrade, withdrawing, offered assistance. Sgt. Baker refused, insisting that he be left alone and be given a soldier's pistol with its remaining 8 rounds of ammunition. When last seen alive, Sgt. Baker was propped against a tree, pistol in hand, calmly facing the foe. Later Sgt. Baker's body was found in the same position, gun empty, with 8 Japanese lying dead before him. His deeds were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Army.


    You can bet the soldier's pistol he was left was a 1911A1 .45. loaded with 230 gr FMJ ammo.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix



  14. #239

    Puffer Fish with some spikes JackH's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    If Colt 1911's out of the box could reliably feed all manufactured hollow point ammo, then companies like Wilson Combat would no longer exist. But they not only exist, they thrive, and their main breadwinner is customizing Colt 1911s especially working the feed ramps so they will feed at least one brand of ammo. I've owned 7 Colt .45s and the only gun out of the box that would feed all brands of .45 auto was a Sig Sauer 220.
    Do unto others - then split!

  15. #240

    THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar


     

    Re: Post a pic of your gun!

    Quote Originally Posted by JackH View Post
    If Colt 1911's out of the box could reliably feed all manufactured hollow point ammo, then companies like Wilson Combat would no longer exist. But they not only exist, they thrive, and their main breadwinner is customizing Colt 1911s especially working the feed ramps so they will feed at least one brand of ammo. I've owned 7 Colt .45s and the only gun out of the box that would feed all brands of .45 auto was a Sig Sauer 220.

    You know i almost bought a Sig if there was any other 45 A.C.P i would own that was gonna be it. But being an old school Marine i was always taught a double action semi auto is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. I also remember a DA pull of like 10 lbs yuck. I carry my Colt cocked and locked you know that pull can't be more than 3 lbs. But that Sig is one reliable gun from everything i have heard and read.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix



Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •