Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Post a pic of your gun!

This is a discussion on Post a pic of your gun! within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn You know i almost bought a Sig if there was any other 45 A.C.P i would ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes JackH's Avatar

Re: Post a pic of your gun!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    You know i almost bought a Sig if there was any other 45 A.C.P i would own that was gonna be it. But being an old school Marine i was always taught a double action semi auto is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. I also remember a DA pull of like 10 lbs yuck. I carry my Colt cocked and locked you know that pull can't be more than 3 lbs. But that Sig is one reliable gun from everything i have heard and read.
    In Arizona I used to carry my Colt Commanders cocked and locked in the small of my back. But too many times when removing it, I found the safety had worked itself off. That was one of the reasons I moved to the Sig. Granted the Sig's first double action trigger pull was tougher, I got over that by cocking it first and always shooting single action. Since I always used to carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk prior to semi-autos it didn't bother me.
    Do unto others - then split!

Quote Originally Posted by JackH View Post
    If Colt 1911's out of the box could reliably feed all manufactured hollow point ammo, then companies like Wilson Combat would no longer exist. But they not only exist, they thrive, and their main breadwinner is customizing Colt 1911s especially working the feed ramps so they will feed at least one brand of ammo. I've owned 7 Colt .45s and the only gun out of the box that would feed all brands of .45 auto was a Sig Sauer 220.

Wilson Combat (or Nighthawk, or Les Baer, or Ed Brown, or Dan Wesson, Novak, etc.) does not build 1911s to make them run on HP ammo. Their main breadwinner is not making pistols that should be sent back to the manufacturer as defective work with HP ammo, but making semi-custom 1911 with custom features that people are going to pay thousands of dollars for. Nobody is sending their $300 RIA 1911 to Wilson to make it run HP ammo. Why? Because it does so out of the box. Same as the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, or just about any other bottom of the line base model 1911. Bank when Colt was the only company in the 1911 game people who wanted trigger jobs, extended safeties, beavertail grip safety fitting, refinishing, checkering, sent their guns to places like Wilson Combat.

Expanding on your example of Wilson combat, they also modify shotguns too. Does this mean that unless you send your shotgun to Wilson Combat you shouldn't expect it to reliably feed 2 3/4 inch shotgun shells? Of course not, though you said that Wilson Combat would not exist without that need. They'll be more than willing to sell you a $350 Remington 870 with $1000 worth or enhancements, and that's just their base model.
    My cheap favorites:
    Tampa Sweethearts Maduro
    Famous Nic 3000
    Onyx Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post

Mine feeds them reliably to as long as they are 230 grain federal hydra shock didn't you read my earlier post. The original complaint was against 185 grain hollow points. Now if you own 2 1911 pistols that fire every single brand and weight of hollow point ammo flawlessly. You my man are truly blessed, read this as it is good reading. Before you answer ask yourself why you would i carry anything less than 230 grain.

snip
    You should move up to something more modern then, Federal HST or Winchester Ranger.
    My cheap favorites:
    Tampa Sweethearts Maduro
    Famous Nic 3000
    Onyx Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by cedjunior View Post
    Wilson Combat (or Nighthawk, or Les Baer, or Ed Brown, or Dan Wesson, Novak, etc.) does not build 1911s to make them run on HP ammo. Their main breadwinner is not making pistols that should be sent back to the manufacturer as defective work with HP ammo, but making semi-custom 1911 with custom features that people are going to pay thousands of dollars for. Nobody is sending their $300 RIA 1911 to Wilson to make it run HP ammo. Why? Because it does so out of the box. Same as the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, or just about any other bottom of the line base model 1911. Bank when Colt was the only company in the 1911 game people who wanted trigger jobs, extended safeties, beavertail grip safety fitting, refinishing, checkering, sent their guns to places like Wilson Combat.

Expanding on your example of Wilson combat, they also modify shotguns too. Does this mean that unless you send your shotgun to Wilson Combat you shouldn't expect it to reliably feed 2 3/4 inch shotgun shells? Of course not, though you said that Wilson Combat would not exist without that need. They'll be more than willing to sell you a $350 Remington 870 with $1000 worth or enhancements, and that's just their base model.
    We can go back and forth on this for days and neither one of us are going to change the other's mind. And anyone else reading this thread with a decent firearms background also know how they approach this situation. And people without experience but thinking of buying a Colt and stoking it with hollow points can either follow my suggestion that they trust no hollow point until actually shooting 4 or 5 clips and verifying that the rounds are reliable, or taking your recommendation that such steps are unnecessary. It is their choice.

Disinterested

GENTLEMEN,

OF ALL THE FORUMS HERE, I WILL NOT TOLERATE ARMCHAIR GUNSMITHING!!!

FYI, boys, semi-automatic handguns are fed by MAGAZINES! NOT "CLIPS". The M1 Garand is a good example, for your study, of being "clip" fed.

You tax my patience.

I am a VERY BUSY Firearms Instructor and a died-in-the-wool 1911 curmudgeon. I KNOW what it takes to make ANY 1911 run ANY ammo.

DESIST IN THIS CRAP, NOW!

This is a "Post Pics of your Gun" thread.

If I see one more post about what gun will run what and what is and should be and what was in the 1911 world, I will close this thread and mete out terrible consequences for him who forces me to do so.

Am I clear?
    Last edited by Herf N Turf; 01-10-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Full grown Puffer Fish dirletra's Avatar

Haven't posted a pic yet in this thread so here's another of my build:

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    GENTLEMEN,

OF ALL THE FORUMS HERE, I WILL NOT TOLERATE ARMCHAIR GUNSMITHING!!!

FYI, boys, semi-automatic handguns are fed by MAGAZINES! NOT "CLIPS". The M1 Garand is a good example, for your study, of being "clip" fed.

You tax my patience.

I am a VERY BUSY Firearms Instructor and a died-in-the-wool 1911 curmudgeon. I KNOW what it takes to make ANY 1911 run ANY ammo.

DESIST IN THIS CRAP, NOW!

This is a "Post Pics of your Gun" thread.

If I see one more post about what gun will run what and what is and should be and what was in the 1911 world, I will close this thread and mete out terrible consequences for him who forces me to do so.

Am I clear?
    You might want to switch to de-caf.

Kat Krap Kontanment Media JustOneMoreStick's Avatar

Lay off guys, He does carry a gun.
    Alcohol is to stupidity as steroids are to athletics...."performance" enhancers

Disinterested

Quote Originally Posted by JackH View Post
    You might want to switch to de-caf.
    And I might just switch you OFF.

JackH, since you have made it clear that you are unable to control yourself in a reasonable and responsible fashion on this thread, I urge you to refrain from posting any further comments on it.

Should you choose not to heed this advice, and continue in your inflammatory course, I will be forced to take action, based upon your refusal.

Am I clear, now?

I mean to keep this thread open. I mean to keep this thread free of the opinions of those who do not understand guns. I mean to keep this thread as it was intended, "Post a pic of your gun".
    Last edited by Herf N Turf; 01-11-2011 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cedjunior View Post
    I don't want to take this thread much farther OT that it's already gone, but let me clarify the statement I made.

My statement was that (aside from super tight fitting customs like Les Baer, etc that require a break in period) any 1911 out of the box should reliably feed and fire any current factory hollow point ammunition. If your 1911 continually has issues with feeding hollow point ammunition, then the issue is with that particular 1911 and does not mean that all 1911s don't feed it reliably without modification. Verifying your weapon is reliable will whatever ammunition you choose to carry with it is besides the point and completely unrelated to the original point I was making. You should be verifying that your weapon functions properly whether its a 1911, Glock, HK, SW, Sig or anything else. Your statement seemed to imply "Don't bet your life on a 1911 loaded with hollow points".
    Time to get this thread back on topic.

Some hastily taken pictures of the some of my other firearms:

HK USP 45

S&W 1911

CMMG Midlength

Mossberg 930 SPX

Mossberg 500

And my old girl, Remington 11-48

My cheap favorites:
    Tampa Sweethearts Maduro
    Famous Nic 3000
    Onyx Reserve

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Here's the pic the Gun smith sent me right after it was finished.

Nice collection cedjunior where's the colt 1911's.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Full grown Puffer Fish dirletra's Avatar

^^Very Cool!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Thanks bro!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

StraightUpCigars.com Straight Up Cigars's Avatar

Hey guys. Recently took these photos and edited them in PS. I think they turned out pretty sweet. If you are interested in downloading them for wallpapers or anything, go here:
    http://straightupcigars.com/wp-conte...09/bullets.jpg
    http://straightupcigars.com/wp-conte...010/09/ak2.jpg
    http://straightupcigars.com/wp-conte...010/09/ak3.jpg

only in this country do we enjoy the freedom to own and bear firearms....

as exhibited in these posts...nothing but excellent, fine tuned nail drivers....I am impressed.....
    ROOSTER COGBURN: Any man who packs a big bore Sharps carbine could come in mighty handy, if we're attacked by buffalo... or elephants.

Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast