Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

That was then

This is a discussion on That was then within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I grew up in a town of about 2000, located in northern MN about 100 miles south of Canada. In ...

Full grown Puffer Fish blueeyedbum's Avatar

That was then

I grew up in a town of about 2000, located in northern MN about 100 miles south of Canada. In the seventh grade a basic industrial arts class was required. Every male that went to this school took this class. Hunting was popular on the Iron Range and required a firearms safety certificate if you were under 16. The firearms safety class was included in the industrial arts class. Everyone was required to pass it. Part of the course required that we shot targets. The school had three gyms. The newest was used for sporting events. The other two were used for boys and girls phy-ed. At one end of the girls gym were two large bullet traps: 4 or 5 point each. Couldn't say for sure, it was a long time ago. They were probably made in the metal shop. 50 feet was marked off on the floor. Tumbling mats were laid on the floor. There was no exhaust system. 22 cal rifles and ammo were kept locked up in the school. We learned to shoot, practiced and passed the proficiency test in the girls gym. The only casualty was the old piano in the corner that caught a stray or not so stray round. I took this class in 1963, age 11. I'd say this will never happen again.
    No more "TO DO" Lists. At the end of the day I write down what I got done and then I cross it off.

No longer a community member.

Re: That was then

I grew up on a farm. In my family each of the boys got a shotgun on Christmas following their 9th birthday. That Christmas we already knew what the big gift was.

At 9 years old I thought nothing of going rabbit, squirrel, quail or dove hunting by myself after school or anytime I was bored. My parents never gave it a second thought either. It was just the way things were. I just had to be home in time for dinner.

I have 3 sons of my own now, and have times changed. We still hunt frequently together, but they never had the freedoms I did.

BTW, I still have my first shotgun and still hunt with it. I bet most of you have never even seen a bolt action shotgun... I can still chamber a round quick enough to get 2 shots at a covey of quail. That is a result of decades of carrying that gun. It points like my finger.

I went to school here in the big city of Houston. And in our ROTC class they had a gun range that we shot .22 cal rifles in. Yeah don't think they do that anymore.

My first shotgun, Mossberg 3 shot bolt action, variable choke, still have it.
    No more "TO DO" Lists. At the end of the day I write down what I got done and then I cross it off.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyedbum View Post

You are old too though... LOL

I bet we have guns older than most of the members here.
    Last edited by Jonesee; 03-26-2009 at 06:03 PM.

I am my brothers keeper! slyder's Avatar

I nebraska you still have to take a hunters education program. Now they have implimented a bowhunter education program. Which are both great things. I just wish they would introduce a nonhunter/gunowner education program!!
    I am my brothers keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
    You are old too though... LOL

I bet we have guns older than most of the members here.
    I lived 200 miles away from my home for two years tending to my mothers needs. A friend of mine who's a collector took care of my home and property while I was away. He didn't want anything for doing it. I gave him a 1885 38-56 Winchester for his collection. My father bought it for $10 after WWII. It was the first gun I used deer hunting.

Young Puffer Fish

If we focused more on education and safety versus the current atmosphere of "ban everything that can cause harm" we would have a much better world IMO... I am not that old but was given much of the liberty to do these type of things growing up as well

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyedbum View Post

Was it a 0.410? If so I have the same one.