Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Casting bullets

This is a discussion on Casting bullets within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I have been casting bullets for some time now, rifle and pistol bullets. Last season some friends and I have ...

Casting bullets

I have been casting bullets for some time now, rifle and pistol bullets.
    Last season some friends and I have been testing 7.5mm cast bullets, in 180grn 30 cal.. This is a bullet normally used in 30-06, .308 and so on.

Anyone casting there own bullets?
    Really that's a cigar in my pocket, honest......

Elder Puffer Fish Leader joncaputo's Avatar

Re: Casting bullets

I just dont feel comfortable enough to be doing that myself..but Id be interested to know more about how its done..is there a website or something..or how did you learn how to do it yourself?

Full grown Puffer Fish blueeyedbum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joncaputo View Post
    I just dont feel comfortable enough to be doing that myself..but Id be interested to know more about how its done..is there a website or something..or how did you learn how to do it yourself?
    I used to hang with a buddy when he cast pistol bullets for our indoor range loads. This seems similar to what I watched him do.

Cast bullet primer: a beginner's guide to pouring your own | Guns ...
    No more "TO DO" Lists. At the end of the day I write down what I got done and then I cross it off.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader joncaputo's Avatar

Cool thanks for the link..Im going to check it out. I would only consider doing it for range ammo for sure

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish FN in MT's Avatar

Been casting for thirty plus years. Originally started way back in the 70's so I could shoot my .50-70 trapdoor Springfield. Then I started casting pistol bullets and the rest is history.

Since I've retired the casting has taken off. I probably went through 400 pounds of alloy this past winter. I cast all of my 9mm, .38/.357 mag, .41 mag, .44 Spcl/mag, .45 Colt and .454 Cassull slugs.

I have a few handguns that are twenty plus years old , been fired many thousands of times....yet have NEVER had a jacketed slug down their bore.

Try CastBoolits.com forums. Probably THE finest casting site on the web.

FN in MT

I am my brothers keeper! slyder's Avatar

I buy bags of lead cast bullets for loading my 45ACP range rounds. Never cast my own though.
    I am my brothers keeper.

FN in MT,
    Yes I know there are forums out there for casting. I was just curious to see if anyone here did it also.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish FN in MT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlockG23 View Post
    FN in MT,
    Yes I know there are forums out there for casting. I was just curious to see if anyone here did it also.

And a nice excuse to get out of the house (where I can NOT smoke) to the shop....start up the electric pot.....cast some slugs for a few hours while I enjoy a good cigar.

FN in MT

I don't cast or reload, yet.
    Prices are getting crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post
    And a nice excuse to get out of the house (where I can NOT smoke) to the shop....start up the electric pot.....cast some slugs for a few hours while I enjoy a good cigar.

FN in MT
    hell yeah

I've been reloading for years, but never cast my own. Moving around in the military to much I would have to get rid of the materials every few years.

Thankfully, I always hooked up with guys that would cast and I would pay for the lead and have cast for me. Now that we have our own house and I'll be retired soon, I may start to finally cast my bullets.

On a side note, a Captain that works in my section, just sold me almost 400, 44 caliber cast bullets from Montana bullet works for $25.
    The only thing you should feel when shooting insurgents is recoil.

Full grown Puffer Fish BigRay023's Avatar

i shoot around 6k .45acp a year and if i cast my own i think i would spend more time casting than shooting lol....i still get a good deal on bulk moly coated swc's that i dont know if i would save any $ doin it...it might be fun to try tho...mebe for my .44mag

I enjoy casting bullets .
    Been doing it for about 5 years now .
    Only have done Handgun so far .
    I do not shoot that much rifle .

Bill