Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Could have been shot...

This is a discussion on Could have been shot... within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; A guy, presumably with a CCL, managed to fire his weapon in the local Walmart and shoot himself in the ...

Leading Puffer Fish nativetexan_1's Avatar

Re: Could have been shot...

A guy, presumably with a CCL, managed to fire his weapon in the local Walmart and shoot himself in the leg. It's dangerous everywhere. Funny thing is, the police never filed a police report. Hmmm.
    Canton, Texas: home of First Monday Trade Days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
    WHoahhh... I love Canada and get up there a bit to fish but...

There is no way I want any part of your gun laws. Way too restrictive for the states. There are more people hurt everyday by negligent car drivers than all the gun accidents in a year. Let's not blow this out of proprtion. Clearly the lady is an idiot and hopefully she will seek training before picking her gun up to shoot again or better yet, give up shooting, but accidents happen. Thank gawd it was a small caliber.

I'm not picking on our Canadian brothers here, but to be clear. There is no way I want any more permitting to get my guns. And permitting or tracking of ammo is what is causing the run on ammunition right now so I must not be alone.

Everyone in here has touched on what to do and that is leave when there is an idiot with a gun around. Or, stop for a moment and help them learn. Not everyone has benefitted from gun handling skills passed from father to son over the generations like some of us have. It's a right to own a firearm in America. For some it is their first gun ever and they need some help. I handle any gun with the comfort I handle a screwdriver, really they are just tools anyway. But my dad and grandad taught me how to handle a gun before I was 9 years old. Others have not had someone work with them to gain that comfort level. I would rather offer a little help and gain another avid shooter than write them off or run away. The last person I helped at the range were 2 men in their 50s. You would have assumed they had the skills already but they didn't. They just needed a few questions answered and some help.

Again, I LOVE CANADA!!! Toronto and Vancouver beautiful and fishing in northern Ontario is one of the favorite things I ever do. Your gun laws are just not for me.

I would be the first to agree our laws are too strict, but I feel a little peace of mind knowing everyone on the range has at least some safety training.

I was at my local range about five months ago with my uncle having a good time with some of his hand guns. A couple Glocks and two Springfield 1911's. All was going well and I was shooting one of the Glocks. I look to my right and the guy two lanes down from me is turning my way with the handgun about to be pointed at me. I had my handgun at my side, loaded, with one in the chamber getting ready to fire. The slide on his weapon was forward so I did not know if there was a round in the chamber or not. Nothing came of the event but none the less I was a little taken back and would not have thought twice about putting a round or two into him had he raised the weapon any more at me... Needless to say I haven't been back to that range in a while...

Wow,that's quite a story. Thankfully, the range I go to isn't very crowded, and I go on my lunch break. I usually get to shoot alone.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish bigdaddysmoker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docruger View Post
    I think a person should have to have some kind of safety course with a card before they can even buy or shoot a firearm.

and i believe that is an infringement upon my second amendment right. granted i agree that there is no reason for someone to be that unsafe, but don't infringe on my rights.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddysmoker View Post
    and i believe that is an infringement upon my second amendment right. granted i agree that there is no reason for someone to be that unsafe, but don't infringe on my rights.
    Yeah, it would be a huge mess if bears could no longer have arms...

On a more serious note, over here most ranges are members-only, which does a fair job of screening out anyone who really shouldn't be there. Also, most public ranges require that you take a 30-45 min "course" on safety practices before you are allowed to shoot there. Of course, it isn't by any means a fool-proof system, but at least you can be fairly certain about that the guy next to you has some clue about what is doing.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish tmanqz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docruger View Post
    there is no reason what so ever to be so unsafe. as a firearm owner and cw holder and a CRL holder I think a person should have to have some kind of safety course with a card before they can even buy or shoot a firearm.

You cant fix stupid people.

"And a woman is only a woman, but a good Cigar is a Smoke."*Kipling

Thats CRAZY!!! Your buddy being late was a goodthing. If she was startled by a hot casing it must have been one of her first times shooting. I can't count how many times i've had one land on myself.

I had a Marlin 22 Rifle when I was 12 and the barrel actually unscrewed itself from the action somehow and when I shot it, the bullet got lodged in the barrel and I got some burn marks on my hand from the gunpowder. Even though I was a young 12yo, I set the rifle on safe, put the barrel to the sky and walked off the firing line to collect myself. I never over exaggerated, but it scared the hell out of me to let go of the rifle and to see my hand. I acted so calmly my father never knew what happened until he came to see why I walked off. The next day the gun was fixed and sold.

They should give you a "real life" test when you buy ANY gun. Just like a driving test. Then after a certain age it should be mandentory to refresh it each year, much like how they should with a driver's license.

Never hand a weapon to someone, before you explain the rules. This may save your life. I go a little extra. I have a kevilar lined Lee jacket that I wear when I am in shooting classes, or shooting in a group.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish FN in MT's Avatar

I help run our local Trap Range, as well as belonging to two other trap & skeet ranges. Two of which have rifle & pistol ranges as well.

I was a Firearms Instructor as well as RO for our Police Academy Training while working as a State Trooper for 20+ years. And was in the Army Guard for 23 years involved with small arms up to bombs and rockets.

So...Wanna start telling SCARY Range stories anyone??? There are a million brainless, idiots out there with guns, or their finger on the SWITCH of a weapons system. Scary stuff.

FN in MT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2