Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Could have been shot...

This is a discussion on Could have been shot... within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; What the hell. I mean seriously, if you don't know how to handle a gun you really shouldn't be allowed ...

Maturing Puffer Fish

Could have been shot...

What the hell. I mean seriously, if you don't know how to handle a gun you really shouldn't be allowed on the firing line.
    So the day before yesterday my brother, a friend and myself were heading out to the local range. I wanted to run a few shells through my new mossberg tac cruiser I had picked up and my brother had just purchased a glock 23. To start things out my friend was about 10 mins late. No biggie (or so I thought). We get to the range/store, finish signing the papers and were putting on our eyes/ears when I see through the window, one of the guys on the line drop to the ground. I really didn't think much of it because it wasn't a sudden or jerking movement, but then the range officer comes running yelling "God damnit, God damnit!" at the top of his lungs. I start to walk up to the window when a woman comes running out of the range saying, "It was me, I did it!", while looking freaked out. I take a peek through the window and see that the man had been shot in his right thigh a few inches above the knee. Thankfully it seemed like a small caliber (no bigger than a .25) and it didn't break the bone nor hit the artery, he had very little blood loss (well, considering what happened). The employees took a few seconds to call a cease fire. Then they asked the people on the firing line to stay stay in one group until things were sorted out. Seeing as how we hadn't even stepped foot on the range, our group gathered our licenses which were still on the counter and promptly left. I have never been so grateful for a friend being late. We even went to another store/range but none of us had any urge at that point to fire a weapon, or be around people firing weapons.
    I learned yesterday that the woman had a hot casing land on her and panicked, somehow shooting the guy in the leg. Unbelievable!

Re: Could have been shot...

there is no reason what so ever to be so unsafe. as a firearm owner and cw holder and a CRL holder I think a person should have to have some kind of safety course with a card before they can even buy or shoot a firearm.
    its all fun and games till some body gets hurt

Quote Originally Posted by docruger View Post
    there is no reason what so ever to be so unsafe. as a firearm owner and cw holder and a CRL holder I think a person should have to have some kind of safety course with a card before they can even buy or shoot a firearm.
    I dunno, they tried that with cars, but I see people doing dumb stuff on the road every day.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

Quote Originally Posted by docruger View Post

That is how it is in Canada. There is a safety course for shotguns/rifles and one for handguns. There are also background checks and a LONG waiting period before you get your permits. You cannot even buy ammo without your permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    I dunno, they tried that with cars, but I see people doing dumb stuff on the road every day.
    you do have a point.but just maybe the people that don't care about firearms that much wont even bother with them.
    its all fun and games till some body gets hurt

Glad to hear things turned out.

JGD

Thats crazy. Its a good thing he was late.

I am my brothers keeper! slyder's Avatar

Seriously.......how hot could a 25 casing get? My god! Ive had 40 S&W, 45ACP, 223, and 308 rounds down the front and back of my shirt and still kept the weapon pointed down range! Stupidity should be painfull!
    I am my brothers keeper.

Puffer Fish with some spikes LibertyToad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slyder View Post
    Seriously.......how hot could a 25 casing get? My god! Ive had 40 S&W, 45ACP, 223, and 308 rounds down the front and back of my shirt and still kept the weapon pointed down range! Stupidity should be painfull!

Yeah, they get pretty hot but not so hot I'd fire one off as a reaction.
    "If it isn't broken, improve it."

Yea Ranges are hit and miss with me. You just never know about the folks in the other lanes. I can't count how many times I've looked over and seen someone trying to clear a jamb with the gun pointed to 1 side or the other most of the time also being pointed at a person or even racking the slide to 1 side or the other

Puffer Fish with many spikes

I have never been around another person with a gun who I didn't know and who didn't go through the same training I did. I stay as far away from public shooting ranges and public hunting lands as I can for just that reason as you exsperienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegasgz View Post
    What the hell. I mean seriously, if you don't know how to handle a gun you really shouldn't be allowed on the firing line.
    So the day before yesterday my brother, a friend and myself were heading out to the local range. I wanted to run a few shells through my new mossberg tac cruiser I had picked up and my brother had just purchased a glock 23. To start things out my friend was about 10 mins late. No biggie (or so I thought). We get to the range/store, finish signing the papers and were putting on our eyes/ears when I see through the window, one of the guys on the line drop to the ground. I really didn't think much of it because it wasn't a sudden or jerking movement, but then the range officer comes running yelling "God damnit, God damnit!" at the top of his lungs. I start to walk up to the window when a woman comes running out of the range saying, "It was me, I did it!", while looking freaked out. I take a peek through the window and see that the man had been shot in his right thigh a few inches above the knee. Thankfully it seemed like a small caliber (no bigger than a .25) and it didn't break the bone nor hit the artery, he had very little blood loss (well, considering what happened). The employees took a few seconds to call a cease fire. Then they asked the people on the firing line to stay stay in one group until things were sorted out. Seeing as how we hadn't even stepped foot on the range, our group gathered our licenses which were still on the counter and promptly left. I have never been so grateful for a friend being late. We even went to another store/range but none of us had any urge at that point to fire a weapon, or be around people firing weapons.
    I learned yesterday that the woman had a hot casing land on her and panicked, somehow shooting the guy in the leg. Unbelievable!
    The best cigar I ever smoked will be the next one I try.

There is only one range around here I will go to due to the fact all the indoor ranges always have some asshat endangering the lives of everyone.

The range I go to won't tollerate that crap. You screw up, you go home. Period.
    The ATF should be a convenience store, not a government entity.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Bermac View Post
    That is how it is in Canada. There is a safety course for shotguns/rifles and one for handguns. There are also background checks and a LONG waiting period before you get your permits. You cannot even buy ammo without your permit.

WHoahhh... I love Canada and get up there a bit to fish but...

There is no way I want any part of your gun laws. Way too restrictive for the states. There are more people hurt everyday by negligent car drivers than all the gun accidents in a year. Let's not blow this out of proprtion. Clearly the lady is an idiot and hopefully she will seek training before picking her gun up to shoot again or better yet, give up shooting, but accidents happen. Thank gawd it was a small caliber.

I'm not picking on our Canadian brothers here, but to be clear. There is no way I want any more permitting to get my guns. And permitting or tracking of ammo is what is causing the run on ammunition right now so I must not be alone.

Everyone in here has touched on what to do and that is leave when there is an idiot with a gun around. Or, stop for a moment and help them learn. Not everyone has benefitted from gun handling skills passed from father to son over the generations like some of us have. It's a right to own a firearm in America. For some it is their first gun ever and they need some help. I handle any gun with the comfort I handle a screwdriver, really they are just tools anyway. But my dad and grandad taught me how to handle a gun before I was 9 years old. Others have not had someone work with them to gain that comfort level. I would rather offer a little help and gain another avid shooter than write them off or run away. The last person I helped at the range were 2 men in their 50s. You would have assumed they had the skills already but they didn't. They just needed a few questions answered and some help.

Again, I LOVE CANADA!!! Toronto and Vancouver beautiful and fishing in northern Ontario is one of the favorite things I ever do. Your gun laws are just not for me.
    Last edited by Jonesee; 04-22-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Full grown Puffer Fish BigRay023's Avatar

gun safety is plain common since.....the basic rules of safe gun handling
    1. treat all guns as if they are loaded
    2. keep the gun pointed at a safe direction at all times
    3. never point the gun at something which you do not want to kill/destroy
    4. be sure of your target and whats beyond/behind it
    5. and keep your damn finger off the trigger until target is acquired and ready
    to shoot
    are just a reinforcement of common sense...i have seen 8yr olds follow these to the T and never had any problems.....no laws, training, certificates or restrictions will ever change the fact that the majority of Americans have lost all resemblance of common since and self responsibility

im glad that you missed out on almost losing your life because of a negligent discharge....thats why im so glad that our local range has closed off section of 6 bays that only club members can shoot on...public ranges are a very scary place indeed

Elder Puffer Fish Leader karmaz00's Avatar

glad to hear everythings ok...man i have no idea how to fire a gun.....thats why i stsy away from those places

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast