Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ruger Mini14

This is a discussion on Ruger Mini14 within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Many years ago this rifle was a pretty good replacement for the old M-1 Carbine, cheap,easy to shoot, indestructible, and ...

Ruger Mini14

Many years ago this rifle was a pretty good replacement for the old M-1 Carbine, cheap,easy to shoot, indestructible, and was completely at home sitting behind the sit of my pickup. The one I had would shoot 2 1/2 inch groups. After about 6 or 7 years, I replaced it with the Ruger Ranch Rifle. What a mistake that was, it would not hold groups smaller than 5 inches. It didn't take long to dump that one. I now hear that Ruger has re-engineered the rifle, and it back to being a pretty good rifle. Anyone shooting one of the new ones?
    If it isn't "something", then it will be "something else"!

Re: Ruger Mini14

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda! View Post
    Many years ago this rifle was a pretty good replacement for the old M-1 Carbine, cheap,easy to shoot, indestructible, and was completely at home sitting behind the sit of my pickup. The one I had would shoot 2 1/2 inch groups. After about 6 or 7 years, I replaced it with the Ruger Ranch Rifle. What a mistake that was, it would not hold groups smaller than 5 inches. It didn't take long to dump that one. I now hear that Ruger has re-engineered the rifle, and it back to being a pretty good rifle. Anyone shooting one of the new ones?
    I think what you may be talking about is rugers new sr-556. Its more of an ar-15 design, but I think Ruger is looking at it as a design upgrade to the mini 14.
    I love the mini 14 , dependable as hell. Its not a tack driver, but close enough. I would stake my life on that rifle if need be. Get a trigger job, and a few mods, and the accuracy will improve somewhat.
    On the ranch rifle. Are you talking about the mini 14 ranch carbine? That was originally designed I believe for horseback carry. And a darn good brush rifle at that.
    And who can beat the 10/22 for sheer fun. ?

Much regards Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by veteranvmb View Post
    And who can beat the 10/22 for sheer fun. ?
    +1

I love my 10/22, IMO the best .22 out there.

Also I've never shot a mini-14, but I have shot a mini-30 & I LOVED it. Very nice shooting reliable rifle.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Puffer Fish with many spikes texasbadbob's Avatar

I got my 1st mini-14 in 1980. It has been a dependable rifle all these years and I would not trade it. I have talked to a few guys at the gun range who had nothing good to say about the newer mini-14s. So I don't know. Ruger has made some damm good guns over the years.
    " I thought the slope would level out "

I am my brothers keeper! slyder's Avatar

a bunch of my buddies shoot mini 14s. They got theirs to shoot 1/2 groups but by the time it was all said and done they could have bought a nice heavy barrelled AR15. Ive actually seen one of these guys shoot a running coyote on a half mile fence line from the road!! One shot!!! Amazing.....I think he sleeps with his gun.
    I am my brothers keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by slyder View Post
    Ive actually seen one of these guys shoot a running coyote on a half mile fence line from the road!! One shot!!! Amazing.....I think he sleeps with his gun.
    Doesnt everyone??????
    Much regards Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by slyder View Post
    a bunch of my buddies shoot mini 14s. They got theirs to shoot 1/2 groups but by the time it was all said and done they could have bought a nice heavy barrelled AR15.
    Exactly and as others have mentioned they were OK truck rifles. I remember wanting one back when because of the price. Did a lot of research and went the AR route since for a few bucks more I was already set...

Quote Originally Posted by Strick View Post
    Exactly and as others have mentioned they were OK truck rifles. I remember wanting one back when because of the price. Did a lot of research and went the AR route since for a few bucks more I was already set...
    In certain areas, they have various rifle laws. Where the mini 14 is legal to own, any ar type rifle is illega. So if you wanted a semi auto and couldnt legally own an ar type, the mini 14 was an excellent alternative.
    Also, a lot of places where the mini 14 is legal, the mini 30 is illegal.
    And to add to that mess, a lot of dealers do not know sometimes if a certain piece is legal or illegal, due to the ever changing ambiguous municipality firearm laws.
    On some of my lever actions, I have to have different feed tubes, depending on where I am going to be shooting. Its really out of hand.
    In certain areas you can buy any 50 cal, semi, but not a mini30. And so many .223 varmint rifles are illegal, because the municipality considers them assault rifles.
    Its just plain crazy and p. c. laws.

Much regards Jerry

Full grown Puffer Fish Blackcat's Avatar

Love that new "Ranch Rifle".
    Never do two things illegal at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by veteranvmb View Post
    In certain areas, they have various rifle laws. Where the mini 14 is legal to own, any ar type rifle is illega. So if you wanted a semi auto and couldnt legally own an ar type, the mini 14 was an excellent alternative.
    Also, a lot of places where the mini 14 is legal, the mini 30 is illegal.
    And to add to that mess, a lot of dealers do not know sometimes if a certain piece is legal or illegal, due to the ever changing ambiguous municipality firearm laws.
    On some of my lever actions, I have to have different feed tubes, depending on where I am going to be shooting. Its really out of hand.
    In certain areas you can buy any 50 cal, semi, but not a mini30. And so many .223 varmint rifles are illegal, because the municipality considers them assault rifles.
    Its just plain crazy and p. c. laws.

Much regards Jerry
    Forgot some places have useless gun laws so you had to improvise and adapt right... I'm use to living in Texas...don't have to deal with that crap as of today...

Full grown Puffer Fish Blackcat's Avatar

Yeah Alaska has no real silly gun laws either. Hell before long I thin we might have Mandatory carry laws lol
    Never do two things illegal at the same time

May have found what I was looking for, its Ruger model KMINI-14 /5. Its their target model up-graded with a condom hanging off the muzzle, and a slightly oversize stock, and no iron sights. The 5 round mags are legal in California, but the 20 round isn't (?)

Op's, mean KMINI 14 /5TH its the target model

Non-Professional Traveler Denny32's Avatar

I love my mini 14. Years ago I bought the folding stock, (which rarely gets folded) flash suppressor, along with a few other things. I have some friends who live north of the boarder. They sure do get a kick out of shooting it when they come down. Silly Canadian laws. I just wish ammo was not so outrageously expensive these days. And it is so easy to blow off a few hundred rounds. I should really buy the die for my reloader.
    Northern Wisconsin. Where it never rains....But the mosquitoes sure sweat a lot.

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Denny32 View Post
    I love my mini 14. Years ago I bought the folding stock, (which rarely gets folded) flash suppressor, along with a few other things. I have some friends who live north of the boarder. They sure do get a kick out of shooting it when they come down. Silly Canadian laws. I just wish ammo was not so outrageously expensive these days. And it is so easy to blow off a few hundred rounds. I should really buy the die for my reloader.
    We have gun laws, just like down south. Ruger ranch rifles, AR15, and countless other 'black rifles' are perfectly legal here. They are just considered restricted, meaning you need a special 'authorization to transport', or ATT.
    Ammo is prohibitively expensive here as well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast