Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggestions

This is a discussion on Suggestions within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I just got my MD license, and I am considering getting a gun for home protection. I have narrowed it ...

JGD

Suggestions

I just got my MD license, and I am considering getting a gun for home protection. I have narrowed it down two two types, a revolver, due to the facts that i have heard they are generally very reliable. Or, a shotgun due to the fear that the sound of a cocking it causes.

What do you guys think? Again, this would be only for home protection and I am hoping that I would only have to shoot it every so often at the range.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Suggestions

Opinions vary greatly but I would go shotgun all the way. There's nothing more intimidating, & for good reason, they're very, very powerful. Also cheap & easy to shoot. I suggest either a Remington 870 (very reliable) or a Mossberg. Also It's always a good idea to get one with a shorter barrel for home defense. The way I do it is keep it loaded but with a snap cap in the chamber, that way if you need it you just pull the trigger & rack the slide. Ready to go.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

I have a S&W 357 mag and an old double barrel side by side 12 ga. Not sure what I could hit in the dark with the revolver but I don't have that worry with the coach gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
    I have a S&W 357 mag and an old double barrel side by side 12 ga. Not sure what I could hit in the dark with the revolver but I don't have that worry with the coach gun.
    +1

Coach guns are bad-ass.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Puffer Fish with many spikes smokin nightly's Avatar

If it is only for home protection, I would say the shotgun...
    Any man who smokes cigars is a dynamic son of a gun. ~Regis
    I type like crap...this is well known

Keep in mind that any handgun round will penetrate 2-3 interior walls...something to think about if you have kids sleeping down the hall (like I do!). I have a mossberg 12 gauge loaded with birdshot for the first round (limited penetration) and then the next 4 rounds are 00 buckshot. Just in case they don't run from the first round!

I keep a 357 in my truck for the opposite reason...it WILL go through a car door!

Coach guns are a good idea for someone not used to handling guns. BUT, whatever you get..practice! It'll do you no good if you are fumbling around in the dark with something you aren't familiar with!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stench View Post
    Keep in mind that any handgun round will penetrate 2-3 interior walls...something to think about if you have kids sleeping down the hall (like I do!). I have a mossberg 12 gauge loaded with birdshot for the first round (limited penetration) and then the next 4 rounds are 00 buckshot. Just in case they don't run from the first round!

I keep a 357 in my truck for the opposite reason...it WILL go through a car door!

Coach guns are a good idea for someone not used to handling guns. BUT, whatever you get..practice! It'll do you no good if you are fumbling around in the dark with something you aren't familiar with!
    Great advice, also know what your shooting at if something does come up.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Stench View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dj1340 View Post
    Great advice, also know what your shooting at if something does come up.

Great advice, mounting a Surefire on your shotgun with a pressure switch is a GREAT idea. Most Surefires are bright enough to temporarily blind someone.

I have the remington 870 at home and love it.

I also have a AR-10, AR-15 and a sig 226.

But the only thing I keep handy is the 870.

Young Fish

Go with the shotgun, perfect enforcing the "castle doctrine." Also, if your on a limited budget buying a nice S&W revolver, even used can cost up too 600-700 $. I got my 870 for example used for 250$. Also the best thing about shotguns is they are easily customizable for the individual shooter if necessary for you. Also, though the spread traveling threw your house will be tight, you still dont need to worry as much about accuracy then compared to only having one round going down the hallway. As stated above, no matter what you use you always have to worry about rounds going threw walls. Ultimately see whats the most comfortable for you as the shooter. Always practice. Happy hunting!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish tmanqz's Avatar

Have to go with the 870, perfect home defense weapon. Just point and shoot.

"And a woman is only a woman, but a good Cigar is a Smoke."*Kipling

The One and Only GOT ssutton219's Avatar

And with a Shotgun..the sound of it being pumped is usually enough to turn someone away...

Good luck and make sure you know how to use it.

Shawn
    If the thought of a lil mold spores or beetle eggs in a cigar bother you..maybe you shouldnt smoke...cigars are a plant that we allow to ferment (rot) for our enjoyment...

I agree with the shotgun consensus, I too have a Remmy 870 (I have a wingmaster) and loved it for hunting and for protection. good weight, short barrel and very reliable. I had several more including a SW .40 Semi auto but the wife had me sell it. I didn't have a safety so it was a good idea for now. I grew up in MD and the remember the guns laws are really tough (thanks PG and balmer co.) goo dluck and I hope you never have to use it.

BTW I know there are s lot of tactical upgrades and parts for an 870 if you wanted to get the a used or lesser model and make it a tactical style. I'm think the same sometime down the road.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to get drunk in order to spend time with his friends" ~Hemingway

Young Puffer Fish

I suggest a 12 ga loaded with 00 buckshot. And usually, just the sound of racking the slide will scare anyone alone. Problem solved without having to cause harm.

I prefer a revolver for home defense. I carry 24/7 and usually just transfer my carry gun to the nightstand at night. I carry a .38 snubby, but I have trained extensively with it. Strictly for home defense I would go with a 4" barrel .38 special revolver. Snag a used S&W Model 10 or 15, both great, reliable and inexpensive revolvers. Also keep a good flashlight and OC with it.

IMHO the shotgun is the king of home defense from a fixed position. If it is just you or just you and your wife a shotgun might be the right choice, also depending upon the configuration of your house. If the two of you are in one room and you are making a stand the shotgun is great. However, what if you have children either down the hall or even on another level. It would never be prudent to venture out into your house in the dark seeking an intruder, let him come to you, but if you have a child somewhere else in the house you may have to venture outside of your "stand". A long gun is much more difficult to maneuver in an enclosed space and can be taken away much more easily. It is also slower to get into operation. Racking a round is certainly a great deterrent, but if a bad guy was bearing down on me I would rather be able to just pull the trigger. I am not armed to deter anyone. I am armed to hopefully save my life or the life of a loved one period. Especially in my own house. OC is for deterring in a less then lethal situation, guns are for destroying.

That is my rationale regarding home defense. You will figure out what works best for you. In any self defense situation your mind is the real weapon, everything else is just a tool. Be prepared, have a plan and make sure everyone in the house knows the plan, have your tools in place and know how to use your tools.
    "Man made laws to set you free on earth but is God satisfied
    Will your lawyer talk to God for you?" Kitty Wells

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast