Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

303 Savage

This is a discussion on 303 Savage within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I have an old 303 Savage, used to be my father's deer hunting rifle. He bought back in the 1950's ...

303 Savage

I have an old 303 Savage, used to be my father's deer hunting rifle. He bought back in the 1950's and ammo is no longer made for it. Does anyone know of a place that sells reloads for this? Only place I've been able to find anything for it is at gun shows and it's getting pretty scarce there. It's not the same size as a 303 Enfield.

Puffer Fish with many spikes BTcigars's Avatar

Re: 303 Savage

I did a quick google search and came up with a few links:

303 Savage Obsolete Caliber Current Manufactured Ammunition

Obsolete Rifle Ammo

Looks like the going rate is $35 for a box. Good luck!

Cool, thanks. Guess I need to work on my search technique.

Any chance a gunsmith could re-chamber the rifle to a more friendly cartridge?
    If it isn't "something", then it will be "something else"!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda! View Post
    Any chance a gunsmith could re-chamber the rifle to a more friendly cartridge?
    I hadn't thought of that but it wasn't a very expensive rifle and I don't know that it would be worth putting any money into. I don't hunt anymore and the barrel heats up very quickly so it's not really suitable for target shooting. The only reason I keep it is because it was my father's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
    I hadn't thought of that but it wasn't a very expensive rifle and I don't know that it would be worth putting any money into. I don't hunt anymore and the barrel heats up very quickly so it's not really suitable for target shooting. The only reason I keep it is because it was my father's.
    I understand completely, I've my Dad's old 410. I only take it to shoot skeet with it once a year, on his birthday....

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda! View Post
    I've my Dad's old 410. I only take it to shoot skeet with it once a year, on his birthday....
    I have my father's old 410 as well, tried shooting skeet with it once, couldn't hit anything so I went back to the old 12 ga coach gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
    I have my father's old 410 as well, tried shooting skeet with it once, couldn't hit anything so I went back to the old 12 ga coach gun.
    I found the same thing. The 410 is only good at shooting jackrabbits, and other small game for fun. I would hate to have to rely on it for food. They shoot almost like a rifle with their tight chokes...

Here is another place that stocks it. Same price. Buffalo Arms Company - We sell Swiss - Schuetzen Black Powder, Cowboy Guns, Buffalo Guns - over 7,000 Items!. The .303 Savage is a great old deer round. If you only shoot it occasionally I guess buying a box makes sense. I would reload it myself. Once you begin to reload you fear no caliber due to cost.
    "Man made laws to set you free on earth but is God satisfied
    Will your lawyer talk to God for you?" Kitty Wells