Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

What Is your Carry Weapon

This is a discussion on What Is your Carry Weapon within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; XD40 or G27 She carries the G27, S&W featherlight, or Kel-Tec 32...

re: What Is your Carry Weapon

XD40 or G27
    She carries the G27, S&W featherlight, or Kel-Tec 32

Puffer Fish with some spikes Theophilus's Avatar

My wife wants to learn how to shoot. Anybody got any suggestions before I go gun shopping for her? She's petite, so I'm thinking a smaller caliber, something easy to handle and good for a beginner.
    "Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued."

- Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    My wife wants to learn how to shoot. Anybody got any suggestions before I go gun shopping for her? She's petite, so I'm thinking a smaller caliber, something easy to handle and good for a beginner.
    Bring her. Do NOT buy a gun for her...without her. If you can find a place that will let you guys shoot various guns, even better. If not - at least have her "fit" a gun and see what feels right for her.

Leading Puffer Fish

I second Hokie's opinion. She should have something that she feels comfortable with and can get proficient at.

Most gun ranges down here let you "rent" guns to try on the range, she could try that.

As a side note, some "petite" women may surprise you. I once took a chick to the range and she had as good a shot group as I did with the .45! It's just whatever she's comfortable with.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Stogie's Avatar

Glock 27 which is a 40 cal backup gun on the ankle holster and a Glock 36 .45 cal in pocket or hip. Love my glocks and never leave home without one.

Using Cigar Bands as pics Flugplatz's Avatar

I carry a Glock 23C with some .40 Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points.
    I like the IWB holsters. But have recently started looking into Shoulder holsters. I also splurged on some mepro tritium sights to aid in the selection of targets in the twilight.

An Old Retired Wiseguy! JohnnyFlake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CheapHumidors View Post
    LOL both very good reasons! The reason I'm hesitant to do that is precisely the same as your second, I'd be concerned that if I shot someone that the round would over penetrate and cause damage behind my target. Plus, my FMJ ammo that I use in practice has less power than my beastly HP rounds

BTW have you had any problems with your weapon jamming? Mine, on occasion, doesn't slide the next round all the way into the chamber and the slide gets caught on the round... I've never been able to fix this. I've tried changing magazines, obviously. Just curious if it's a problem inherent in the Taurus .45s or something.
    Try hand polishing the feed ramp and the camber area of the barrel. You can do it by hand but that's a tough way to go. Using a Dremel Type Tool with a firm polishing bit and jewelers polishing compound. About 10 minutes of buffing time should do it.

If not, get a Wolf Slide Replacement Spring about 3 to 5 pounds stronger than the stock spring.

Your problem should go away!

BTW, I carry 24/7 you might say!

I carry a Kel-Tec 9mm P11 it fits perfectly in my right front pocket in a DeSantis Pocket Gun Hide Holster.

10 round in the mag and one in the tube = P11

I alternate rounds in the mag between Hornady 124gr TAP HP and Speer 124gr Gold Dot HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball View Post
    I have one of these, for when I want a good hand buzzing...
    super nice revolver, matt SS w/contoured grip. although a Hogue would feel so much better after a long day.
    ~ [___SmokeRises___}}}} ~~~ Resting Smoke

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
    Try hand polishing the feed ramp and the camber area of the barrel. You can do it by hand but that's a tough way to go. Using a Dremel Type Tool with a firm polishing bit and jewelers polishing compound. About 10 minutes of buffing time should do it.

If not, get a Wolf Slide Replacement Spring about 3 to 5 pounds stronger than the stock spring.

Your problem should go away!
    Hey thanks bro, I'll try that this weekend and see if it fixes the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CheapHumidors View Post
    Hey thanks bro, I'll try that this weekend and see if it fixes the problem.
    if you go the replacement spring route make sure you look for WOLFF. WOLFF is the spring company and WOLF is Russian.
    WOLFF is located in Pennsylvania. Kenneth Square or the Paoli area if i'm not mistaken.
    by the way they make some of the best springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke Rises View Post
    if you go the replacement spring route make sure you look for WOLFF. WOLFF is the spring company and WOLF is Russian.
    WOLFF is located in Pennsylvania. Kenneth Square or the Paoli area if i'm not mistaken.
    by the way they make some of the best springs.
    Thanks for the heads-up. You are correct, Wolf is a Russian Company. I believe they only produce ammo but I am not positive of that. Wolff is an American Company that produces replacement parts for many varieties of hand guns.

Newbie in the ocean

Yes Wolff is the US company and Ive had good luck with their products. Fast shipping too.

Cheap Humi, I agree with Johnny on the feed ramp polish but I would stick with hand polish rather than the dremmel. Its just too easy to overdo it with a power tool. You can always take more off. Its expensive to put more on!

Good luck

capdaddy

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up. You are correct, Wolf is a Russian Company. I believe they only produce ammo but I am not positive of that. Wolff is an American Company that produces replacement parts for many varieties of hand guns.

Quote Originally Posted by capdaddy222 View Post
    Yes Wolff is the US company and Ive had good luck with their products. Fast shipping too.

Cheap Humi, I agree with Johnny on the feed ramp polish but I would stick with hand polish rather than the dremmel. Its just too easy to overdo it with a power tool. You can always take more off. Its expensive to put more on!

Good luck

capdaddy
    agreed hand work is better if someone doesn't have much experience
    Flitz is also a good polish for this, works wonders and can be found in many locations.

Disinterested

Not to ruffle any feathers, but more feed ramps have been ruined by dremel tools than any other cause. You SHOULD NEVER polish a feed ramp in any other direction than vertically. Please, dear god, dont do this! 10min with a dremel tool on even the hardest metal will destroy that feed ramp and Taurus does not use very hard metal.
    As simple as it looks, the feed ramp is actually very precise. Length, angle, radius and friction (how polished) are absolutely critical. Most people don't realize that you can over polish them.

Take it to a smith.

Back on topic.

The Smith J frames make excellent BUGs. As to whether .38 is an adequate primary caliber depends on shot placement under stress. All said and done, youre better off carrying a .22 than not carrying at all.

My personal choice is a full-sized (governmet) Les Baer SRP 1911 in .45acp. Carry round is (standard pressure) Federal HST 2. I have an aray of holsters, but my current favorites are my Tucker Answer for IWB and my Tucker HF-1 for OWB. I use a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Blaze for competition.

As stated, the belt is the single most important component in any carry solution.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast