Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interchangeable Barrels

This is a discussion on Interchangeable Barrels within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; A buddy of mine was telling me that some semi-autos have interchangeable barrels so you can switch out to use ...

JGD

Interchangeable Barrels

A buddy of mine was telling me that some semi-autos have interchangeable barrels so you can switch out to use a 9MM, .38 Special, or a .22. The idea of this intrigues me I would like to own a 9MM, yet with the cost of ammo it would be much cheaper to practice with .22s at the range. So I have 3 questions...

1. Is the idea of buying a gun with interchangeable barrels dumb?
    2. What models come with this option? I really hope a Sig P226 is one of them, but I am having trouble finding anything on the internet.
    3. Only slightly related... What's the best way to convince my wife its OK for me to buy my first gun?

Thanks for all the responses in advance.

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

Re: Interchangeable Barrels

You will find the easiest pistol to convert are Colt 1911 based pistols. There are many good .22 conversion kits for 1911s out there.

On the wife thing, remember it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

There are two times I buy firearms. the best option is when the wife is buttering me up for something she wants. The other is when she is already mad about something. She is already upset so buying a gun won't make much difference.

I now have a safe full and I’m bringing another home on Tuesday. She took this really well so now I need to figure out what she is wanting. Oh well I'll enjoy the buttering up until she let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by jadeg001 View Post
    .................... What's the best way to convince my wife its OK for me to buy my first gun?

Hiya Jim,

Patrick McManus wrote a brilliant and hilarious bit about this very subject. Do you know who he is?
    He started out writing short humerous pieces for the various "Outdoor Magazines". Then he started writing books.

I believe the tips on getting gun(s) into the house past the wife was in;

"Real Ponies Don't Go Oink!"

Or

"Never Sniff a Gift Fish"

Everything I have ever read of his was educational and freakin funny

You can also get his stuff on audio books which is great for our drives...

Anyhow, You must read or hear some of his stuff!

Good luck Brother

Collections of Outdoor Humor Pieces

A Fine and Pleasant Misery (1970

They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? (1981)

Never Sniff a Gift Fish (1981)

The Grasshopper Trap (1985)

Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs (1987)

The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw (1989)

The Good Samaritan Strikes Again (1992)

How I Got This Way (1994)

Into the Twilight, Endlessly Grousing (1997)

Real Ponies Don't Go Oink! (1999)

The Bear in the Attic (2000)
    Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

I own a SIG P250, which does have the interchangeable caliber. The only advantage of this would be just like you said to shoot smaller ammo for cheaper. The smallest the SIG comes is 9mm. The money it costs to purchase the extra barrels is sometimes more than you would pay for a gun in that caliber. My recommendation is to buy the gun you want for what you want. If you want to just shoot at the range for cheap, buy that gun, if you want to stop a dude kicking in your door, buy that type.

As far as convincing your wife...Good luck. It took a string of robberies on the news for my wife to accept it. I do know guys that bought a couples class for a weapons training, they spent the day together learning all about how to shoot, safety, laws. It was a very laid back fun day for them. Now she's hooked.

Adam

A buddy of mine was telling me that some semi-autos have interchangeable barrels so you can switch out to use a 9MM, .38 Special, or a .22. The idea of this intrigues me I would like to own a 9MM, yet with the cost of ammo it would be much cheaper to practice with .22s at the range. So I have 3 questions...

1. Is the idea of buying a gun with interchangeable barrels dumb?
    2. What models come with this option? I really hope a Sig P226 is one of them, but I am having trouble finding anything on the internet.
    3. Only slightly related... What's the best way to convince my wife its OK for me to buy my first gun?

Thanks for all the responses in advance.
    Here is my opinion on your questions (remember it is only my opinion)

First you need to rethink your questions, especially if it is your first gun.

• What do I want a gun for? (Protection, plinking or to be cool)

Protection: and you want a hand gun at least a 9mm, I would go for a .45 (a lot more stopping power) If it is for home protection only go for a 12ga. Shotgun, use low brass, bird shot. This will stop an intruder, more then likely they will run, if not it will put them down and quick. What makes this a nice choice is you point and shoot; you donít have to worry about aiming. Also when you go to shoot someone for protection you have to remember your surroundings and be aware of them. Like is there a loved one in a room that is behind the intruder (if you miss with hand gun ammo it will go through your wall. With bird shot it is very unlikely to pass through both sheets of dry wall. By the way the ammo is cheap if you want to go plinking.

Plinking: a nice .22 auto

To be cool: (believe me this is why some want a gun) donít waste your money or the safety of others.

Before you buy I suggest you go take a gun class with your wife first, most gun shops offer them. After the course you will have gained a lot of knowledge and a relationship with the professionals at the gun shop. You donít want to over buy or under buy for want you need. A .45 might be nice but remember your wife needs to be comfortable with any gun you buy; she may be the one that has to use it.

I do not recommend an interchangeable barrel. Practice with what you will shoot if your life depends on it. The gun will perform differently with various caliber ammo so if it is designed for 9mm the gas that a .22 creates will not open and eject properly. You will think that the gun is malfunctioning (which it is but it is because of the ammo) you are now training yourself to believe your gun will always malfunction. This is not a though I would want anyone to have while protecting a loved one.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_Diem View Post
    Here is my opinion on your questions
    I do not recommend an interchangeable barrel. Practice with what you will shoot if your life depends on it. The gun will perform differently with various caliber ammo so if it is designed for 9mm the gas that a .22 creates will not open and eject properly. You will think that the gun is malfunctioning (which it is but it is because of the ammo) you are now training yourself to believe your gun will always malfunction. This is not a though I would want anyone to have while protecting a loved one.
    I'm going to disagree here some. One hand some caliber conversions don't make much sense to me such as the Sig option to go from .357 Sig to 40 S&W or 9mm Para. With that type on conversion you are just kind of duplicating purposes in the somewhat similar calibers. I say pick one that will do the job at hand and stick to it.

A conversion that does make a lot of sense is the Colt 1911 .45 acp to .22LR which is pretty common. There have been great well functioning .22LR conversion kits for Colt 1911s available for 70 years. I use to own a Cold Gold Cup with a Colt .22 Ace conversion kit. The .22 kit functioned flawlessly. What it gave me was a setup on a pistol that felt the same and allowed me a very inexpensive practice kit. Plain and simple I ran way more rounds of .22LR through that pistol than I did .45acp. Many of the .22 conversion kits will even do a good job of replicating the recoil felt by the heavier round. It is an option that makes a lot of sense because you have a gun with the same grip, same trigger and feel that you can practices with on the cheap.

I traded my setup off but it something I have always really regretted.

I now have a set of revolvers that pretty well fills the same spot. That is a couple of late 1940 Smith & Wesson Masterpieces. One is a K-22 and the other a K-38. Smith & Wesson made the barrel contours and ribs different on both pistol so when loaded with standard target loads the revolvers would weigh exactly the same.

Here is that set...the K-22 gets shot a lot more than the .38 Special.

JGD

Thanks for all the replies. Here is a little more info on what I'm thinking and why I plan on buying a gun...

First off, I'm not buying a gun to "seem cool" (I know you weren't inferring that I was Carpe, but I figured it would be best if I just stated it). This is something that will probably take me a few months to get the money together, if not longer, so with that as well as all the other obvious concerns such as safety being cool is not even in my mind.

The two reasons why I am interested in purchasing my first gun are the following:

1. I enjoy going to the range. Target shooting has quickly become a greta way to relax for me. Its a fun activity, and even my wife enjoyed going when I took her yesterday. The only problem is that all the ranges around me (and I'm sure this is the way with most ranges) charge for everything if you rent their guns. This includes all the rounds at a marked up price. Whereas if you bring your own hand gun you can use your own ammo and then save quite a bit of money.

2. Home defense. Knock on wood, I have yet to have any problems in my current house where I would need a gun to defend my family and my property. However, I'm hearing more and more stories from friends that don't live too far away. One of my wife's friends has had her apartment broken into 3 times in the last 6 months for instance. Now I do live in a relatively safe neighborhood, but, its still Baltimore. I've had crack heads chase after my car before and have seen gangsters hanging outside of my house appearing to look to see if anyone was home.

So those are the two reasons why I am looking into buying a gun. Thanks for all the advice, and keep it coming!

Puffer Fish with some spikes JuJuMan16's Avatar

1. Tell your wife that you are planning an all day movie marathon with her.
    2. Go to your local movie rental place.
    3. Get the following movies. Law Abiding Citizen, Taken, The Strangers, Death Wish, Death Sentence.
    4. When you are done, tell her you love her and that you would never want anything bad to happen to her. Explain to her that nowadays people don't break into house nowadays holding just a crowbar. Tell her that you would like to be prepared if (God forbid) something would happen.

Seriously though, this is what i would do. I would try to convince her to go to a range, where she can experience being around guns in a more controlled environment. Some ranges rent guns, maybe you can get an instructor too. Ranges can give people a sense of safety and can help overcoming the "fears". I have taken several co-workers that never fired guns and were terrified of them, they loved it. I have also heard women after their first time shooting how they love the power they feel from firing a gun. After that you can talk to her and explain how you would like to have one in case anything happened. People who are not used to being around guns just don't feel safe around them. As long as you approach the whole thing over stressing safety (which you should anyways), i think you can do it. Don't just tell her you want a gun because its cool and you want to blast the first person who tries to break in.

Like I said before I own the SIG, its a wonderful weapon. But I don't see the point in buying a 357, 40, 9mm conversion kit for it. I can get a used 45 for the price of the conversion, 2 is better than one SLOWPOKEBILL makes a good point about his 45 to 22, if it shoots and functions the same in both calibers I'd go that route. I may look into that myself. But just like the other posters wrote, you need to figure why you want a gun....then narrow down type.

Adam

I wrote all that before your last post. You are almost there. Now is when you go rent the movies. However before you get a gun, you might want to consider moving.

What are the reasons she gives you why she doesn't want you to get one?

JGD

Quote Originally Posted by JuJuMan16 View Post
    What are the reasons she gives you why she doesn't want you to get one?
    She feels nervous about having one in the house. Although her nerves were curved a bit yesterday as she learned the basics of how to shoot and how hand guns work. The argument she makes is that God forbid someone does break into the house when we are home the fact is that in Baltimore they will also be armed. She feels that it will only result in them using the gun.

We did have a long talk last night, and she feels a little more comfortable after I told her where I would keep the gun (locked in the bedroom safe with the clip next to it and the spare key to the safe hidden very close buy). She was under the impression that it would be loaded next to the bed at all times.

Okay, I’m total gun guy. Let’s call me a gun nerd, not a gun nut.

You don't need one gun. You need at least three. Of course I work on the principle that why have just one gun when more will do the job better. You know the saying have the right tool for the job. There are lots of different types of gun needs.

For home protection a large caliber handgun is barely okay. A much better option is a pump action shotgun. It doesn't take near the skill set required to be effective with a handgun. Next, there is no more recognizable gun sound that a pump action shotgun being cycled when a round is chambered. Most likely a bad guy in the other end of the house will leave when they hear the sound. And getting them to leave is what you really want. It is something your wife can handle. Wall penetration isn't a major issue. With a large caliber handgun slugs zip through walls very easily. We don't want to hit the neighbors house.

Plus you need a handgun or two for the range maybe a two more for concealed carry.

Can you see where this is leading. That short barreled pump shotgun for home protection isn't much good shooting birds so maybe you'll need a couple more shotguns for that. A nice gun for waterfowl and maybe another one or two for upland bird hunting.

Hunting is kind of fun so maybe you will need a rifle for deer. Of course there is always that dream hunt for elk. You might want something for that. Oh don't rule out Africa.

And you all think the slope is steep when it comes to cigars and pipes.

Covered in sawdust cubicdissection's Avatar

Sadly, the people who control the media in our society seem to think it's better for a woman to be raped and strangled with her own pantyhose than it is for her to be able to carry around the single most effective tool available for a 100 lb. woman against a violent 350 lb assailant; a pistol.

You have *years* worth of conditioning to overcome, but it can be done. Your wife sounds open to reason and that's excellent! Have her take a look at this:

Gun Facts
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever!

Covered in sawdust cubicdissection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubicdissection View Post
    Sadly, the people who control the media in our society seem to think it's better for a woman to be raped and strangled with her own pantyhose than it is for her to be able to carry around the single most effective tool available for a 100 lb. woman against a violent 350 lb assailant; a pistol.

You have *years* worth of conditioning to overcome, but it can be done. Your wife sounds open to reason and that's excellent! Have her take a look at this:

Gun Facts
    As far as the interchangable barrels, I would just buy two guns. Much less hassle.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast