Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

IPSC Match

This is a discussion on IPSC Match within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; don't have them yet, but a must have in my mind. As for big money 3-gun setups... I don't see ...

Re: IPSC Match

don't have them yet, but a must have in my mind.

As for big money 3-gun setups... I don't see why. I understand the high ammo cost, but not expensive gun costs. A good shooter is like a good driver. It doesn't matter what you drive, You're going to be fast. Same goes with guns. Someone who practices enough can put a 45 in a clay at 50 yards with a $500 1911 or a $5000 1911.

My Ar build will cost me $50 more then what I can sell my factory ar for. Yes, with LBC receivers and Black Rain Ord internals for<$850.

The shotty will cost me $400 complete

The 1911 is $550
    Then a couple $20 45 mags, a couple $30 packs of 3 30 round ar mags and $600 worth of ammo and I'm all set. lol. I'm in no hurry to get it done.
    Last edited by zx7rider; 10-08-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Rose View Post
    I've got a Witness Elite Match that is supposed to put my in line to run Production IPSC out of the box, and I think it would, it's much better than I am, lol. Hence the reason I'm not running competition...

I have seen the 3-gun setups, and that's a LOT of gun money, and a LOT LOT LOT of ammo money...
    Those Tangfolio's are pretty sweet guns. I've never had one though. And as stated in my OP nobody is ready to shoot in competitions. You just have to go out and do it. Best way to start though is a steel challenge match. There isn't any movement, and it is a good introduction to shooting competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by zx7rider View Post
    Have you looked at CMP? They usually have them for a good price.

I actually have. They say they aren't expecting much in the way of 1903, But they do have some decent prices on the m1 garands.

I actually have. They say they aren't expecting much in the way of 1903, But they do have some decent prices on the m1 garands.
    HMM Gun broker??

Try Gunbroker, J&G Sales, Southern Ohio Gun... There's a couple other ads I get for my C&R license, but I can't remember them offhand...
    Shooter. Gamer. Hunter. Father. Geek. Atheist. NRA Life Member 2011
    http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/de...mber=Dark+Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    Now, shooting cigar smokers? Wheee...
    ummm... i... i dont think that would be legal. unless your shooting them in self defense of coarse!

seriously though. nice vid. i keep saying im going to get into this, if for no other reason then to improve myself under pressure. just cant seem to get it togeather.

and for c&r guns, i like aimsurplus.com i get my range ammo from them too usually. until i get myself to start reloading.

As for big money 3-gun setups... I don't see why. I understand the high ammo cost, but not expensive gun costs. A good shooter is like a good driver. It doesn't matter what you drive, You're going to be fast. Same goes with guns. Someone who practices enough can put a 45 in a clay at 50 yards with a $500 1911 or a $5000 1911.

My Ar build will cost me $50 more then what I can sell my factory ar for. Yes, with LBC receivers and Black Rain Ord internals for<$850.

The shotty will cost me $400 complete

The 1911 is $550
    Then a couple $20 45 mags, a couple $30 packs of 3 30 round ar mags and $600 worth of ammo and I'm all set. lol. I'm in no hurry to get it done.
    I do have to disagree on the gun doesn't make a difference thing.. A good shooter might be able to shoot a clay at 50 yards with a beer budget 1911, but with match grade barrels a good shooter can do it consistantly every shot. And yes a good driver will be fast no matter what car he is in, but he will always lose a race to a noob in a Lambo. If you can reduce recoil and get your sights on target faster, and reduce the amount of reloads on a stage. All those small amounts of time add up at the end of a 30 target stage.

If you are only going to shoot 1 AR in a match (a lot of the hardcore shooters will bring at least 2 different AR's in thier class, a distance gun and a faster shorter barrel for the closer shooting) you will have to find something that has a good barrel that has the ability to shoot distance and close range. I run 2 different sights on my AR. I have a high power scope and a red dot on a 1 o'clock hold. My first 3 gun match a ran with just an Eo-tech, which was great until I had to shoot an 8 inch plate at 500 yards. The dot on the Eo-tech was 2x the size of the target.

Now yes I could just run irons in the whole match, but there is no feeling in the world like blazing through a stage at 100mph, and shaving 12 sec (at least) off a stage because you have the right tool for the job.

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by shootinmatt View Post
    I do have to disagree on the gun doesn't make a difference thing.. A good shooter might be able to shoot a clay at 50 yards with a beer budget 1911, but with match grade barrels a good shooter can do it consistantly every shot. And yes a good driver will be fast no matter what car he is in, but he will always lose a race to a noob in a Lambo. If you can reduce recoil and get your sights on target faster, and reduce the amount of reloads on a stage. All those small amounts of time add up at the end of a 30 target stage.

If you are only going to shoot 1 AR in a match (a lot of the hardcore shooters will bring at least 2 different AR's in thier class, a distance gun and a faster shorter barrel for the closer shooting) you will have to find something that has a good barrel that has the ability to shoot distance and close range. I run 2 different sights on my AR. I have a high power scope and a red dot on a 1 o'clock hold. My first 3 gun match a ran with just an Eo-tech, which was great until I had to shoot an 8 inch plate at 500 yards. The dot on the Eo-tech was 2x the size of the target.

Now yes I could just run irons in the whole match, but there is no feeling in the world like blazing through a stage at 100mph, and shaving 12 sec (at least) off a stage because you have the right tool for the job.
    I agree with Matt on a lot of this. I guess it really depends on what division you are shooting in, but the gun plays a pretty major role, along with all the junk you bolt onto it. Now, it wont make a bad shooter great, but it can make a good shooter a helluva lot better.

A well built 3gun rifle by itself is going to run well over 2K+, and that is with a low end optic. You start talking JP low mass BCGs, adjustable blocks, some of the higher end comps combined with optics you can easily get into the 3k range. And if you are one of those crazy guys who shoots heavy metal? Fo-get-abou-tit. A well built m1a is just stupid expensive.

And 400 for a shotgun? Please tell me where you can find a competition ready shotgun for 400, I'll jump on it right now.

Maturing Puffer Fish

This is awesome! I need to give one a try, though I do feel a bit insecure about diving in.

H&R Pardner pump with the 18.5" barrel. It's a 870 clone with a better alloy. I know it's a pump and semi will be faster. understood.

Picked it up for $180. A new stock, tube extender will be <$400

I know, not as nice as a $1500 benelli and most likely won't be as quick, but, I am on a beer budget.

I think 3 gun and the like compares nicely to auto-x. A good driver can be competitive on a low budget, but the people that dump Thousands into their setup will always be just a little bit quicker. I'll say again. I'm looking to have fun. If I'm posting good scores and times, that's just bonus.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2