Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Most "Bang for your Buck" deer rifle

This is a discussion on Most "Bang for your Buck" deer rifle within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I’ve been reading up on it a little and will probably go with the Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP. The ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Lrbergin's Avatar

Re: Most "Bang for your Buck" deer rifle

I’ve been reading up on it a little and will probably go with the Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP. The Axis I fondled at Cabelas had a pretty horrible trigger. I can get the 111 THXP for $441 from Buds online and it comes with a Nikon Prostaff scope. Only package deal I’ve ever seen with a decent scope on it plus it comes with the accutrigger. I really wish I just would have never got rid of my Tikka T3 I sold. I think I’m going to run by Cabelas after work and put my hands on a few one last time before I order. Thanks for the help guys.

love my Savage 110 in 270.
    Say yah, eh

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Steel Talon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lrbergin View Post
    Iíve been reading up on it a little and will probably go with the Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP. The Axis I fondled at Cabelas had a pretty horrible trigger. I can get the 111 THXP for $441 from Buds online and it comes with a Nikon Prostaff scope. Only package deal Iíve ever seen with a decent scope on it plus it comes with the accutrigger. I really wish I just would have never got rid of my Tikka T3 I sold. I think Iím going to run by Cabelas after work and put my hands on a few one last time before I order. Thanks for the help guys.
    There is a simple trigger adjust you can do to the factory spring. Plus Rifle Basix makes a offers a trigger for the axis.

Good Karma
    Tal~
    Take your time...Don't live to fast..Troubles will come and they will pass..

[QUOTE=Blue Raccoon;3722572]......if you are hand loading your may want to look at the 25-06.[/QUOTE]

A kindred brother you are. The 25-06 is my favorite hunting cartridge. 115gr. Nosler Partitions are my projectiles....

Good Karma
    Tal~

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

I work in the retail firearms business. Of the rifles mentioned the Savage is the best of the bunch. The next would be the Howa built Weatherby. One budget rifle to avoid would be the Remington 770 ( if you buy one you may find it back at Remington for work more than you take it hunting)

Now to what I would really do...BUY USED! If you really want the most bang for that first buck buy used. I haven't purchased a new firearm since the 1980s. I would look for a good clean Remington 700 ADL, Winchester M70, Ruger M77 or maybe a Savage 110. Very good, clean rifles can be had for $500 and less with a scope. Most people never wear a hunting rifle out. Some rifle will get pretty abused but that shows as much on the outside as inside. Go back to Cabela's hit the Gun Library and ask for Bill (Indiana) Johnson, he won't steer you wrong. Have him find you a decent used rifle.

I approve of your choice of calibers. I have been hunting deer with a Ruger M77 chambered in .243 Win. since 1976. I have killed a lot of deer with that rifle. I have only had one that took a follow up shot. Most died where they stood.

I'm going to be as patient as I can and hold off to find a deal on a used rifle. I actually went by Cabelas last night and looked at some of the used rifles. They had some decent deals on some savages, just nothing in the caliber that I was looking for. I also found a good deal on an ADL on a local website the other day but it was snatched up before I got to it. I appreciate the response and I'll see if I can find something better than this in the next week or so. If not, I'm probably going with this.

Savage 10 TH XP 243 NIKON $478.00 SHIPS FREE

Disinterested

Some good recommendations here, but I have to throw the Ruger American rifle into the fray. Chambered in either .270, or my personal favorite, .308 would be a perfect, budget conscious choice for Bambi sniping. It's a hellova well made package and extremely accurate. The barrel is floated and comes V-bedded from the factory. The trigger is quite nice for stock and bolt is butter-smooth. For a sticker price of $449 and street prices well below $400, it's a hard package to beat.

I've decided to re-pourpose a Savage action from 22-250 with a burnt out barrel I have, to a 7mm-08 for my daughter. Going to start it in January and have it ready for Texas Hawg hunt in May. Probably going to go with a Krieger barrel.

Good Karma
    Tal~

I love the savage accutrigger and think your choice is a good one, however, look through one of those prostaff scopes. I know a lot of people like em, I personally can't stand mine. I picked it up because I needed something cheap, quickly, and they didn't have what I was after. I wasn't thrilled with it at the shop.

Now that I've had it on the rifle, I can't stand it. The eye relief is terrible, the field of view seems incredibly small, the reticle is much too thick. Really the only good thing I can say about it is, it had good low light capabilities.

It may be more worth it to get the rifle and pick out a scope you really like is what I'm trying to say I guess.

I appreciate all the responses guys and ended up picking up a Tikka T3 used a Cabelas for a pretty good price. I’ve had Tikka’s before and have been nothing but pleased with them.

Through a Vortex Diamondback on it and will head out this weekend and get it all sigted in.

Don, I actually almost picked bought the Ruger American and might actually in the future. Cabelas had some new ones on the sale rack for $349 and were also having a 10% off sale that day so the price was definitely right. Just ended up going with what I knew was a tack driver based on past experience.

Disinterested

Quote Originally Posted by Lrbergin View Post
    I appreciate all the responses guys and ended up picking up a Tikka T3 used a Cabelas for a pretty good price. I’ve had Tikka’s before and have been nothing but pleased with them.

Through a Vortex Diamondback on it and will head out this weekend and get it all sigted in.

Don, I actually almost picked bought the Ruger American and might actually in the future. Cabelas had some new ones on the sale rack for $349 and were also having a 10% off sale that day so the price was definitely right. Just ended up going with what I knew was a tack driver based on past experience.
    NICE! Although I wouldn't exactly call a Tikka/Vortex package, "budget", LOL! Damn nice rifle and glass right there.

Not exactly a budget rifle, but the price was right so I figured what the hell. I already had the scope so that was a plus. Now just need to sight it in and fire up the dehydrator, it’s jerky time!

Disinterested

Besides, buying a used Tikka is a little like buying a used anvil.

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

Well done Luke. Those Finns at Sako build great rifles.

Took it to the range this weekend and shot like a dream. I was getting sub MOA accuracy with factory Hornadys.

Glad I didn't get anything bigger than a .243. It was pretty entertaining watching the kid shoot. Looked like I imagine I would shooting a 50BMG. He is a pretty small kid and it gave him a pretty good kick. He was just excited to shoot his first large caliber rifle since all he had ever shot before was a .22. He was shooting 1" groups at 50 so I think he is ready for the woods.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast