Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How did the woods treat you this year?

This is a discussion on How did the woods treat you this year? within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Sitting on the back deck smoking a cigar in some unseasonaly warm weather and curious how some other BOTL outdoors ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Lrbergin's Avatar

How did the woods treat you this year?

Sitting on the back deck smoking a cigar in some unseasonaly warm weather and curious how some other BOTL outdoors men did this year. Figured this might be a good place to post your success. Whether your a deer hunter, duck man, or spend you fall out on the lake, let's hear and see how it went.

Rough start for me with the warm fall, but finally got a mature buck in bow range last week.

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

Re: How did the woods treat you this year?

Nice buck, Luke.

I'm a ruffed grouse hunter, which makes me a rare bird in Utah. Most years by now the snow in the grouse coverts is deep, deep, deep and you just can't get to them. Today that wasn't the case. One good point and an easy (or about as easy as it gets with grouse) right to left quartering shot. Not bad for late November. now for a little dinner. Then it is out to the porch to enjoy a smoke and pick burrs out of the dog's coats.

Here is a pic from early this season. It was Gentry's first grouse and the first bird shot over him. I took it with a little Steven's single shot .410 just to get the pup use to gun fire.

and here are a couple of pheasants from two weeks ago.

Nice buck! This was another big-game hunting free fall for me, sadly. On the bright side, the weather is finally getting cooler and ducks and geese are starting to wing in. Guns up!
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Absolutely beautiful dogs, scenery, birds, and photos Bill! I love bird hunting but only get out once or twice a year for pheasant. I'm very jealous! You are a lucky man.

Maturing Puffer Fish

That's a nice looking buck, Luke.

Bill, other than a few dove hunts as a kid, I've not done any bird hunting, but pictures like those sure make me wish I had.

I haven't spent much time afield this fall. Spent the majority of opening day of deer season in the woods and saw nothing but one coyote. Later in the week, I went out to the blind late one afternoon. I wasn't really planning on hunting, but needed to retrieve my pack that had my tags, knives, etc. Since no one else was home, and it was a nice evening, I took a PSD4 with me, and figured on enjoying the last little bit of daylight with a smoke and a good book. Decided it would be silly not to take a gun, just in case, and at the very tail end of shooting light, had a big fat doe stop about 25 yards in front of me. One shot put her down, and I finished my cigar before hauling her home. No deer pics since it was late, but this is what I was hunting with:

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon500 View Post

Bill, other than a few dove hunts as a kid, I've not done any bird hunting, but pictures like those sure make me wish I had.

I haven't spent much time afield this fall. Spent the majority of opening day of deer season in the woods and saw nothing but one coyote. Later in the week, I went out to the blind late one afternoon. I wasn't really planning on hunting, but needed to retrieve my pack that had my tags, knives, etc. Since no one else was home, and it was a nice evening, I took a PSD4 with me, and figured on enjoying the last little bit of daylight with a smoke and a good book. Decided it would be silly not to take a gun, just in case, and at the very tail end of shooting light, had a big fat doe stop about 25 yards in front of me. One shot put her down, and I finished my cigar before hauling her home. No deer pics since it was late, but this is what I was hunting with:

That my friend, is a wonderful story. I so want to sit in my treestand, smoke a cigar, and watch a perfect a sunset on a crisp fall evening. My ocd prevents me from doing this while hunting because of scent, but ill relax and do it one day.

Me and dad gave up early on deer season this year... Bad weather, and bad hunting conditions at our hunting property are altering our plans. Going out tomorrow to clean out our camper, get packs, treestands, clothes, etc.

We have 40 acres with field on the north, gravel road and field on the east, and river on the west... This summer ALL summer they've clearcut the property to our south to make another large farm field, so most of the deer have moved out of the area for a while, neighbor says he hasn't seen hardly any this year either. So we're gonna salt block it, not hunt it at all next year, and hopefully get the deer moving back in. Once they settle, should be prime location. We went out opening weekend, and the woods was DEAD, the next weekend had a nasty rain/cold front moving in, making a miserable day to hunt. So we cut our season short.

A bad day in the woods is still better than a good day at work, and a fantastic way to relax!
    Shooter. Gamer. Hunter. Father. Geek. Atheist. NRA Life Member 2011
    http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/de...mber=Dark+Rose

No deer yet here. But went on a squirrel hunting trip in October with a few buddies. After four days we ended up with 63 tails. Not too bad seeing how warm it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon500 View Post

Schwinnnngggg!!!! That's a beautiful .475. I've wanted to dive into handgun hunting for a while now - really want to get an encore.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

Luke, thanks for the kind words. I'm a little jealous of your Kansas pheasant hunting. Here in Utah pheasant populations have really dropped. We're also waiting to see some pics of the Tika in action.

Cannon, great story. I love that Linebaugh.I really like the Bisley hammer. It sure helps you hold a sight picture because it never gets in the way of the sights.

Sorry to say, No hunting in the last year. Did not see a single Zombie.

Tourist season is kicking in here but now limit or bag rules have not been established. I here the trophy tourist from the Jersey shore will have the most prestige.

I did do some beach camping (not in the woods or motorhome) and fishing.

I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Very nice pics and storys guys. I got out much less then normal and haven't taken any deer yet. Weather has been horrible this year, just starting to feel like hunting season here this week!

Ok, have to update mine. Went out to the woods today with dad and my 5 year old, mainly to bring our stuff in from the camper, scout around a little, and so we could roast lunch over a campfire for the munchkin. We took our guns "just in case".
    Dad has recently had back surgery and knee replacement, so he didn't want to walk back far, so him and my son headed back pretty quick, I told him I was going to scout around some more, looking for a new location to hunt next season or the season after... Got all the way to the back of our property, and jumped 2 deer, so I crossed to the other side of the property where they've cleared a new field beside our land, and came back that way. Jumped the two deer again... Radioed dad and told him to keep his eyes open and gun ready, they might come his way. Jumped them twice more on my way back to the road... The last time I jumped them...

Dad got one. My son was right beside him, being good and quiet (a small miracle). Was a 120lb. doe, very respectable for a doe in our area. 12ga. Marlin 512 Slugmaster (bolt-action) from about 40 yards, she ran across the road, 30 yards into a picked cornfield and collapsed. Nothing but Remington Coppersolids for us!

Sorry for the crappy pic, just my cellphone camera with me. Already got her skinned and quartered, will butcher tomorrow.
    Shooter. Gamer. Hunter. Father. Geek. Atheist. NRA Life Member 2011
    http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/de...mber=Dark+Rose

Puffer Fish with many spikes Arizona Dave's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: How did the woods treat you this year?

Nice Red fish Fuzzy!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Fraze's Avatar

Got four other guys I hunt with, we took 6 deer total off our land, 4 doe, a spike, and a 5 point.

I shot 1 doe, and a really nice 6 point that upon impact, ran to our woods, bled all over the place, the kept running to someone else's property.

Besides that, it was a solid year. Filling up the freezers is the secondary goal behind getting bucks, so we did great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast