Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Any other LInebaugh shooters here?

This is a discussion on Any other LInebaugh shooters here? within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Got some comments on my 475 in the ' http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/guns-k...-you-year.html ' thread and didn't want to hijack it. I've wanted ...

Maturing Puffer Fish

Any other LInebaugh shooters here?

Got some comments on my 475 in the 'How did the woods treat you this year?' thread and didn't want to hijack it.

I've wanted a Linebaugh-built gun since I read Ross Seyfried's first article on the 500 Linebaugh as a kid in 1986. Fast forward 16 years, and I made a trip to Cody to attend one of John Linebaugh's seminars where I got my first chance to shoot the big guns, and meet some folks I now count among my closest friends. By the end of that weekend, it was a foregone conclusion that I would own a big bore Ruger conversion. For reasons I no longer remember, I decided if I was going to go big, I was going all the way. Instead of a 500 Linebaugh, I wanted a 500 Linebaugh Long (aka 500 Maximum). (This was years before the advent of the 500 S&W, and unlike that monstrous gun, this can comfortably be carried in a belt holster.) John charges a huge premium for maximums, mostly because he doesn't like to build them, and his backlog was long enough I wouldn't have it in time for the next year's event.

Instead, I went with gunsmith David Clements, who charged the same for 5-shot conversions whether they were done on the regular Blackhawk or the Maximum frame, and was quoting a 6-month backlog. 6 months turned into closer to 9, but with the help of craftsmen Doug Turnbull (who did the case colors,) and Scott Kolar (who made the exhibition grade French walnut grips,) Dave built me an absolutely gorgeous one-of-a-kind custom. I've put close to 3000 rounds through that gun, and it is one of the very last I would ever let go.

I don't regret going with another gunsmith on the 500, but I still wanted a Linebaugh-built gun. Spending time with John over the next few years cemented that desire, and in June 2008, John and I shook hands on a deal for a 475. While the 500 was a functional work of art, this was to be a no-frills, bullet-proof, working gun -- stainless steel, fixed sights, and micarta grips. He was far enough behind, he wouldn't take my base gun or deposit, but would call when he was ready to build it. I waited almost a year and a half for that call. When it finally came, I quickly put a package in the mail, and John built the gun in a little less than six months. And then I waited another year for his son Dustin to finish the ivory micarta grips. Nearly 25 years after the flame was lit, in March of 2011, I finally owned a Linebaugh-built big bore.

And the really cool thing about this gun is something John had only done twice before, for close friends:

Yes, it's a 6-shot 475. Full-power loads in the 475 can be brutal on the shooter; and, with the possible exception of big bears, are far more than is needed for anything in North America. (Besides, I've got the 500 Long if I really need more power.) While capable of much more, this gun was designed around the concept of a 400-420 grain bullet at 1000-1100 fps. Those loads give up very little real-world performance to top-end loads and are much kinder to the shooter. It couldn't have turned out better.

Re: Any other LInebaugh shooters here?

Beautiful piece - really caught my eye, and like Bill I like the bisley grip and hammer.

The likes of Linebaugh's work typically surpass my meager school teacher with 4 kids in college budget, but getting into handgun hunting has been an interest of mine for a while. I've long had my eye on a Thompson Encore - 7mm-08 or .308 will do just fine for deer in much of the area that I hunt.

Thanks for sharing the pics and backstory - both of those are beautiful pieces!
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Maturing Puffer Fish

Thanks, Brian. For most, the bisley grip is a requirement for the big bores. When you get into really heavy recoil, the standard gripframe just rolls too much.

I'm a school teacher myself, with three young kids, so I doubt there will be any more full-blown customs in the near future. It can be done, though -- very little of the money for my customs came out of my salary. I've made extra money for gun projects by building websites, selling custom-made holsters, and teaching concealed carry courses among other side jobs. Just helped with a concealed carry class this weekend that added $400 to my Christmas fund.

I like T/C's too. Got my first one (10-inch 30-30 Contender) as an 8th-grade graduation present from Mom & Dad, and have added a dozen or so barrels over the years.

Last year, I coughed up the money for a couple of tax stamps, jumped through hoops, bought a silencer, and registered one of my Contender frames as a short-barreled rifle. With the can on the end of the 10" 22LR barrel, it's smaller than most of the kids rifles on the market, and the lack of noise is great for shooting with kids. Took my 8-year-old out with it today, and she did remarkably well:

Puffer Fish with some spikes Merkonakis's Avatar

Beautiful pistols! Big fan of Turnbulls work. Eventually I want a Wilson Supergrade that's been Turnbull Blued.

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

Cannon love the revolvers. I'm also a fan of Doug's finish/restoration works. His bone charcoal case colors are smoke and honey as they should be.

I'm more of a Smith & Wesson double action guy and the .44 Rem. Mag. is enough gun for my needs. I'm down to one single action now. The one I'm holding on to is a nice old Colt Bisley Single Action Army. They may look a little strange but really the Bisley frame and lower set hammer just works better than the standard SAA setup.

Here is my old Bisley

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Very nice firearm use it in the best of health!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Lrbergin's Avatar

Truly a beautiful weapon Cannon and another wonderful story. You have some very cool toys!

Maturing Puffer Fish

Not sure how I missed the follow-up here; thanks for the kind words, fellows.

Bill, that old Colt is gorgeous! A 1st gen SAA is right at the top of my wish list. I came close to pulling the trigger on a Bisley model 32-20 a couple of years ago, but it wasn't nearly as nice as yours. I've seen good deals, and I've had the cash on hand; but rarely at the same time.

Newbie in the ocean

Attachment 74643

Hi Folks,
    I'm a new guy that stumbled onto the forum from a generic "Linebaugh" search string. While not a smoker, I am a huge fan of "guns and knives" so should fit in here ok : )
    Nobody likes a post without pics, so I've attached one here of a couple of my current favorites with the hope of letting you know just a little about me. The knife is an older Randall #5 in 5-inch that seems to get carried along a bit more lately than anything else. It may have started life as one of those Kit knives that Randall use to offer, as the handle looks like a hard walnut and is attached to the tang by what appears to be bedding epoxy. I found it in a pawn shop a few years ago with the intention of "fixing" the wooden handle but so far it hasn't made it to the top of the to-do list and the epoxy is holding up to all the abuse I can dish out.
    The sixgun is an offbeat 500 Linebaugh that I found on an auction site last summer. It too is a work in progress, with a need for a new front sight and an intermittent
    tendency to go out of time. It shoots wonderfully though and has converted me to the .500L as my new woods walking favorite. It seems to like tossing 420 grain WFN's at around 1000fps, accurate to shoot and easy to hold on to Besides not being able to pass up a bargain, from the rest of the pic you can see I'm also a huge Linebaugh fan, a fair bullet-caster and reloader, and a crude but enthusiastic leather worker :0
    Thanks,
    Russ