Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pellet Rifle Recommendations...

This is a discussion on Pellet Rifle Recommendations... within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Pump air rifle - been thinking about buying myself a Christmas present, used to have an old Benjamin pump I ...

Alpha Puffer Fish

Pellet Rifle Recommendations...

Pump air rifle - been thinking about buying myself a Christmas present, used to have an old Benjamin pump I saved up for when I was a kid - man I loved that little rifle.
    I'm sure some of you guys know the feeling - any ideas?
    I used to pump that Benjamin 15 times - used the .177 pellets - but I've seen single pumps that could get that same pressure?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish aaron72's Avatar

Re: Pellet Rifle Recommendations...

You'll shoot your eye out

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I recomend this one.

Alpha Puffer Fish

OH FUDGE! (only I didn't say fudge...)

(is that an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle with the compass in the stock!!!)
    Last edited by FWTX; 12-03-2012 at 11:48 PM.

I have a Ruger Air Magnum Combo Air Rifle. At better than 1000 fps, those little .177 bits of lead scoot down range. The box said 1400 fps using the sabot style RWS Hyper Velocity Pellets. Probably not suited for shooting into a light pellet stop, and it went through a 1 x 6 plank.

The scope that came with this combo is kind of crappy and this is a loud gun. I use it for plinking with iron sights but would consider a better scope once I get a job. It could be used for pest control or even small game. Kind of pricey at just under $150.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I have a Ruger Air Magnum Combo Air Rifle. At better than 1000 fps, those little .177 bits of lead scoot down range. The box said 1400 fps using the sabot style RWS Hyper Velocity Pellets. Probably not suited for shooting into a light pellet stop, and it went through a 1 x 6 plank.

The scope that came with this combo is kind of crappy and this is a loud gun. I use it for plinking with iron sights but would consider a better scope once I get a job. It could be used for pest control or even small game. Kind of pricey at just under $150.
    Yeah Fuzz - that's what I'm asking about - and $150.00 is in the ballpark - is it a single pump - CO2?

(and I wont shoot my eye out!)

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

I have a RWS Diana model 34... Inherited it from an old rental house. haha
    Anyway its a spring powered break barrel. Shoots 1000+FPS
    Great gun especially with the 3x32 scope..lol
    I think they go for about $200
    If you have to ask, It's probably fake!

Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by KcJason1 View Post
    I have a RWS Diana model 34... Inherited it from an old rental house. haha
    Anyway its a spring powered break barrel. Shoots 1000+FPS
    Great gun especially with the 3x32 scope..lol
    I think they go for about $200
    Looked it up - That is nice - and you made out like a bandit!

No longer a community member.

You definitely want to look at a springer in that price range. RWS makes a really nice gun and their lowest end model, the 34, can be had for around $200 as stated above. They rate the .177 caliber at 1000fps, but mine chronos at 750-850 depending on the pellet. If you shoot a pellet light enough to get the claimed 1000fps you're going to damage the spring and/or piston really quick. Another couple to look at in that range are the Beeman Ram and the Beeman Panther. Both are great guns. Personally I'd steer clear of the Gamo brands and all the "Firearm brands" which are mostly rebranded Gamo's.

Other thing to keep in mind. A quality springer is harder on a scope than a magnum centerfire rifle. The reason is most scopes are designed with one-way recoil in mind. You the fire the gun, it recoils to the rear. You fire a springer air rifle it actually recoils back first like you'd expect, but the the piston slams into the front of the compression chamber and the gun recoils forward. This can break even mid to high end scopes. Ask me what my Beeman HW97K Elite did to my Leopold VX-R.

A word of warning, quality air rifles are as addicting as cigars..My first was an RWS 34..I now own over 15, from springers to PCP (Precharged Pneumatics) that require a scuba tank to fill a compressed air tank at about 3200psi and lob a 25 caliber/26 grain pellet a legit 1100fps.

Here's a good place to start..
    Air guns - Air rifles - Spring-piston - Pellet rifles - PyramydAir.com

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

I've been looking into getting one myself. Lucky for me I live in the county but I think my neighbors would flip out if I were to start plinking with my .22. So what better to get than a pellet gun. I need one for rabbits and these monster crows we have around here. By monster I mean HUGE. I hit one with a wrist rocket, it hit the ground, shook a little bit and flew off. Yes they are that big!!!
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I've been looking into getting one myself. Lucky for me I live in the county but I think my neighbors would flip out if I were to start plinking with my .22. So what better to get than a pellet gun. I need one for rabbits and these monster crows we have around here. By monster I mean HUGE. I hit one with a wrist rocket, it hit the ground, shook a little bit and flew off. Yes they are that big!!!
    I use my RWS 34 and my Airforce Talon SS PCP for "pest" control in my yard. Several of my other guns sling a pellet at supersonic speeds so you get the "crack" and they sound very much like a .22 rimfire.

Maturing Puffer Fish showcattle's Avatar

Check out the Benjamin nitro pistons they are sweet little guns

Man, I have a lot to learn. I had a BB gun as a kid and I had no idea that there were such high quality ones made today!

I guess the proper term for these beauties is air rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by showcattle View Post
    Check out the Benjamin nitro pistons they are sweet little guns
    Just my opinion of course, your milage may very..before 1992, I would agree with you on a Benjamin. In 92 they were acquired by Crosman. The old Benjamin pump rifles were amazing guns that would last forever. Since Crosman bought them the quality has declined. It's to a point today where they are basically just Crosman guns, sometimes with a little different style and a higher price point. For the price you can get a nice German or English made gun for basically the same price as a Benny. And on springer air rifles, English and German is where it's at.

Maturing Puffer Fish showcattle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnmoss View Post
    Just my opinion of course, your milage may very..before 1992, I would agree with you on a Benjamin. In 92 they were acquired by Crosman. The old Benjamin pump rifles were amazing guns that would last forever. Since Crosman bought them the quality has declined. It's to a point today where they are basically just Crosman guns, sometimes with a little different style and a higher price point. For the price you can get a nice German or English made gun for basically the same price as a Benny. And on springer air rifles, English and German is where it's at.
    I haven't had much if any that i know of experience with the nicer air guns just know the benjamin is better IMO than a
    Gamo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast