Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

First Handgun?

This is a discussion on First Handgun? within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; That P95 has been calling for over a year now.... Reliable, American made, great price, great reviews, whatya guys think ...

Re: First Handgun?

That P95 has been calling for over a year now.... Reliable, American made, great price, great reviews, whatya guys think of it?

Its the one guy I always ask to hold whenever in a sporting goods shop For 349, can it be beat?

Oh and for you guys/gals in CO. If I buy one online, do I have to pay sales tax when I pick it up or just a transfer fee??
    "Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

Here is my 2 cents on choosing a handgun.
    Buying a handgun is a very personal choice. Some people like different features in their guns. I have been shooting for a very long time. Every handgun I shoot has a single action trigger (short and light trigger in a nut shell), but I would never recomend that to a new shooter.
    When a new shooter asks me what gun they should get, I always tell them to learn as much about guns as they can. Then go home and put pencil to paper, and write down the features they want in a gun. I usually tell them to pick a "main stream" gun, because once you buy one you'll want to add to it (night sights and the sort). Also parts are much easier, and a lot of times cheaper in main stream guns. For example a Ruger mag will be more difficult to find, than say a Glock mag, which you can find at any gun store for about $15-$20.
    As far as learning to shoot, it is much better to learn from either a shooting school or a highly qualified person. Remember if God forbid you ever have to use your gun to protect yourself, there will be a court case and everything that happened in that 20 seconds of a gun fight will be put under scrutiny for months. If the tactics you use in the gun fight came from a shooting school or a qualified instructor, it will go a long way in court, rather than well my buddy told me this is what I should do.
    And lastly remember that shooting is by no means a cheap hobby, but how much is your or your family's life worth? Basically don't settle on a gun you're not 100% comfortable with because it had a small number on the price tag.
    And practice practice practice!!!!

If you are a noob to guns...
    A shotgun in the home with a load able to shoot through walls.
    A 9mm for carry...My wife carries an M+P shield, I carry an M+P 9c.
    The best pistol is the one you will carry and the one you are the most proficient....

I don't like the 40 cal as it is snappy and most noobs aren't as proficient with it.
    Most new guys practice even less with the .45

Hell even a 22 Long is better than nothing....

One thing to remember...If your not prepared to practice a LOT, a pistol is a paper-weight.

Take a Class....there are plenty of them...Example :http://www.sigsaueracademy.com/
    Last edited by asmartbull; 12-15-2012 at 08:42 AM.
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StogieJim View Post
    So I think I want to get a handgun for home defense and possibly concealed carry.

I think we live in a time where everyone needs protection.

I have very limited experience shooting, I've only shot a 9mm and a 22, I forgot which model they were. A cheap S&W I think.

What do you guys recommend? My budget is limited. I was looking at the Ruger P95 but seems a bit big to conceal. I've held it in a few shops already.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Guns are a very personal choice so it really comes down to what you like. What you are willing to spend many hours with. Shooting, practicing etc. That being said you will hear many responses the trend is towards 9mm high capacity semi autos. For those than want more kick to 10mm or 40 caliber gets the call. It seems in a time of excess everything double stacked magazines large capacity is the way to go. I have spent a good part of my life with a colt 1911 45 A.C.P like Cuban cigars it is a mainstay in my life. Not because it is trendy but because it works. You want in an emergency situation to be able to engage shoot multiple targets. I have seen many in law enforcement shot great at the range they get into a situation were they have to draw on a perp and can't complete the exercise. Remember its life or death don't draw it unless you are ready to do what ever it takes to survive. Better that you don't have one if you intend not to shoot or lose it to the perp in a struggle.That being said i like large caliber semi autos so the 1911 gets the call there design is flawless and timeless. The Marines just readopted it as their close quarters fighting gun. The 9mm was not getting the job done just as the 38 was not many years earlier. That was the reason for it original inception IMHO there is no better man-stopper cartridge available in a hand gun.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

for home defense get yourself a Mossberg or Remingtom 12ga 18.5" shotgun.
    for carry get yourself a S&W J-frame 38+p the airlite on sale around here in the low $300 range.

then before ever applying for CC learn how to shoot it.

I would also try to go to a trusted LGS and talk with them about your budget and preferences. Maybe there is a range that you would be able to rent the guns and shoot before buying to see if you like it. There are different calibers and sizes that you may want to think through. This has always been a big question for people as to whether you like single stacks for ease of concealment or prefer double stack for more capacity.

I love Glocks for their reliability and ease to use (no external safeties, etc.). They can take a beating and keep shooting like it was new (I would still take great care of it but it's nice to know it's dependable). There are a lot of other great guns as well that may fit your needs like S&W, Ruger, possibly kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    I have seen many in law enforcement shot great at the range they get into a situation were they have to draw on a perp and can't complete the exercise.
    I am going to show my age here Tony but back in the mid late 80's we lost a Brother NYPD Officer because at the range we were taught to "catch the empty brass" from our service revolvers. He was found with empty brass in his hand. They changed that practice and went from dump pouches to speed loaders as a result. It was years later that they moved to semi - autos.

You make a great point when you speak of being proficient on the range but not in real life situations. The best experiences I ever had were when we moved to a tactical range training situation as opposed to straight "Ready on the left, Ready on the right" type target shooting to prove proficiency.
    “A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores". - Maxwell Q. Klinger - Mash 4077

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marcm15 View Post
    I am going to show my age here Tony but back in the mid late 80's we lost a Brother NYPD Officer because at the range we were taught to "catch the empty brass" from our service revolvers. He was found with empty brass in his hand. They changed that practice and went from dump pouches to speed loaders as a result. It was years later that they moved to semi - autos.

You make a great point when you speak of being proficient on the range but not in real life situations. The best experiences I ever had were when we moved to a tactical range training situation as opposed to straight "Ready on the left, Ready on the right" type target shooting to prove proficiency.
    Yes i remember those times well i have many family members in the NYPD. I remember my uncle who was still in uniform saying the damn city won't stand behind us. I don't remember all the logistics but the city wanted policeman to still carry their 38 special. You were not even allowed to load +P ammo. Their fear was it would penetrate exit and injure innocent people. Many started to carry high capacity 9mm as my uncle did when he made Detective. But i remember if you shot an innocent person by mistake you were on your own as far as lawsuits. The city had no intention of standing behind the officers that risked their lives to protect and serve.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

I haven't played with a newer Ruger P95 so I don't know if anything has changed on it, but I have an earlier model and it's a decent range gun. To me it's much too heavy and bulky to be a carry pistol, at least in "social" settings. I do carry mine sometimes when I go for hikes in the National Forest, though.

I guess overall I carry either my Springfield XD9 and my Charter Arms Bulldog .357 the most. To me they're easily concealable, lightweight, I'm comfortable with their function, find them to be accurate, and over the years they've become extensions of my hand - which means they're the ideal choices for me in a potentially dangerous situation.
    Last edited by szyzk; 12-15-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Even after training there are new responsibilities you must live by, once you carry.. You are not Dirty Harry now. If you are in the convenience store and you see the clerk getting robbed at gunpoint it's not like Television. That hero stuff is for the birds. As long as nobody's shooting.. let him take his money, get a license plate and description and leave it for the cops. Nobody gets hurt. "Comply and nobody dies" works pretty well. Except in abductions and airplane hijackings, apparently. So there are exceptions.

Remember if you ever are holding a threat at gunpoint. Whoever calls 911 needs to explain the situation, and who the bad guy is. " the guy in the blue jacket is the good guy" .
    When the police arrive they still will handle everything by the book. They are going to disarm everybody. Follow their instructions, move slowly. Try no to fk this up.

When I remarried, I joined my wife at her house to live. It was remarkable how many people came and went through her house. That changed fast. Getting a weapon in the house changes some things. Think about it. I mean really, you have to put thought to this. The dynamics of the home too. You have a disconnected garage full of ATVs and motorcycles. You have a gun to protect your property. But you have a light that you have to be inside the garage to turn on. Install a floodlight that can be turned on from the house so you aren't shooting at shadows, deer, or runaway 13 year old kid looking for a place to sleep.

You will always be responsible for that weapon. If I leave my piece in the car, I take the mag in with me. So if the car is stolen, the felon is not an armed felon. Well, technically I guess he is. But he is welcome to wave the empty gun at the cops if he'd like. The other day I jumped into my wife's car to join her on an errand. As she pulled out of the driveway I said "hold on" . I reached over, shut the car off , took her keys, unlocked the front door, ran back inside for my keys. Came back out, locked the door, back into the passenger side of her car, and hand her back her keys. She looks at me. I say "only a moron locks his guns in a gun cabinet, and then leave the keys for it on the dining room table"

This is how you have to think always, as a respectable gun owner.
    Kitty Litter Convert #KL1245

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    Yes i remember those times well i have many family members in the NYPD. I remember my uncle who was still in uniform saying the damn city won't stand behind us. I don't remember all the logistics but the city wanted policeman to still carry their 38 special. You were not even allowed to load +P ammo. Their fear was it would penetrate exit and injure innocent people. Many started to carry high capacity 9mm as my uncle did when he made Detective. But i remember if you shot an innocent person by mistake you were on your own as far as lawsuits. The city had no intention of standing behind the officers that risked their lives to protect and serve.
    I was one of those "Renegades" that always had my second gun (yest I ALWAYS carried two guns) loaded with +P ammo and eventually moved to a 9mm back up against department policy because even though I was a revolver fan we were out gunned as far back as the 80's and most of us were willing to risk charges and spec's in exchange for surviving a gun fight. The 80's were tough times in the city and they were unwilling to adequately protect us.
    “A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores". - Maxwell Q. Klinger - Mash 4077

Wow such great stuff here and a lot to think about.

Thank you! as far as the shotgun, I live in an apartment, and not a big one. A shotgun is pretty unnecessary and possibly detrimental because of the skinny hallways. God forbid anyone kicks my door in when I'm sleeping, the handgun is a better option for me.

This whole having protection thing started last week as there has been 4 robberies in a week here. It's a great place to live, not sure why this is happening, but I'd like to be ready should it happen to me........ just this week, not in my neighborhood but in denver somewhere, 2 guys knocked on an apartment door (a stranger), the person answered, was immediately doused in gasoline and set on fire. This is a ****ed up world we live in.
    "Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

Where can i look at used guns anyways? and anything wrong with buying a used gun when you don't much about the mechanics and such?
    Check Firing Line in Aurora. If you get there ask for Steve and say that Bill in Utah said hi. He is BOTL that I use to share a fair amount of whisky and cigars with.

Put me in the group that thinks a pump shotgun is a great home defense firearm but I know 2 guns aren't in your budget (btw...the firearm slope is steeper than the cigar slop...one leads to two and then three and then lots more.)

For a hand gun I believe in KISS solutions. For most a double action revolver with fill the bill. Operation is pretty much center mass and pull the trigger. You don't have to worry about slides, jams, safeties etc., that come with semi autos. I'm also someone that likes big slow bullets for self defense. For me a perfect solution would be a Smith & Wesson 325 Night Guard which is chambered in .45acp. It uses moon clips to load which can be reloaded very fast. The front sight is a extra large dot night sight with a very large U notch rear. It is very quick to put on target. It does conceal well. It is simple to operate even for females which can have issues racking a slide and limp wristing (which causes jams) semi autos.

The revolver I carry most is a 66 year older cousin; a .44 Spl. Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector. I load it with Hornady Critacal Defense rounds loaded with a 165 grain FTX slug which work as advertised. They have less flash in the dark. My other revolver which is a nice toss in your pocket solution is a Smith & Wesson 642 also with Critical Defense rounds.

I know I'm old fashion but really a revolver has advantages.

My old Smith

Elder Puffer Fish Leader David_ESM's Avatar

Lot of recommendations in here, I am not going to bother talking caliber/model.

My advice, find a range/shop that rents firearms and go and TRY before you BUY. Find something you are comfortable with, something where the grip feels natural and easy.
    Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Thank you! as far as the shotgun, I live in an apartment, and not a big one. A shotgun is pretty unnecessary and possibly detrimental because of the skinny hallways.
    I think research will show that this isnt neelcessarily the case for a handfull of reasons.

Remember that a hand gun isn't a magical death ray. As a matter of fact, they are rather inefficient at stopping threats compared to other tools, especially with an inexperienced person tat was just woken out of a dead sleep.

Not to mention overpenetration issues inherent in handgun rounds when you have connected neighbors and walls made of a material other than concrete.

My advice is to do your homework. Lots and lots of it. Then find a friend with lots of guns to try.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast