Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

First Handgun?

This is a discussion on First Handgun? within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I have a 38 revolver....simple and as effective as any other when it comes to protection. I know some law ...

Cant beat Fuente-Padron

Re: First Handgun?

I have a 38 revolver....simple and as effective as any other when it comes to protection. I know some law enforcement guys that still use it as their "secondary" gun. I meam lets be honest...If you have soly for protection...i doubt one would ever need more than 3 bullets anyways. And, no chance for jamming.

Cant beat Fuente-Padron

Quote Originally Posted by Gdaddy View Post
    Bullets that miss their target are ineffective 100% of the time.

Shot placement is of utmost importance. However, I do believe a shot to the chest with a .22 is less effective than the same shot placed with a .40 cal. But again the .40 won't do any good if you can't hit your target. I saw a husband and wife trying to qualify for their CC permit and they both had S&W .357 magnum revolvers. Neither one could hit a target from 10 feet away. Even the instructors couldn't figure out where their bullets were going. The recoil was WAY too much for them to handle. (reminds me of the scene in Pulp Fiction)

My advise is to simply carry the largest caliber you can accurately shoot.

One other point... the handgun is on the bottom of the totem pole as far as firearms go. Rifles and shotguns are far more formidable weapons. If I knew I was going to be in a gun fight there is NO question that a shotgun loaded with 000 buck shot would be my choice of weapon. Inside the home or outside. It is a devastating weapon.

I just can't carry one so I'm stuck with a lowly little handgun that shoots 357Sig and again...don't forget the pepper spray...it's also VERY effective and very overlooked IMO.
    Thats a good point...alot of risk assesment experts say that one would hardly ever need a gun out and about...but at home...a shotgun is by far the best self defence weapon.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Stradawhovious View Post
    Almost everything worth carrying has a .22 counterpart..... Replacement slide, sister model etc. might not be a bad thing to look in to.

For a first gun, take a class, find a friend with some experience and a bunch of guns to try or find a range that rents. Nothing is more irritating than spending a bunch of money replacing that carry gun that didn't quite work out.

For the fourth time.

Ask me how I know.

For home defense IMHO, a handgun is the wrong tool. Spend $250 on an 870 express 12 ga and be done with it.
    This. All key points.

As for what and how I carry...I carry a Springfield XD-S, which is a single stack .45 caliber that is the same dimension as a Walther P22! Ver small and conceals well in my Crossbread mini tuck worn between 4-5 o'clock.

Returning to fundamentals, shoot a variety to choose the gun and caliber that is right for you don't buy into the hype, but buy something with proven reliability and shoot the crap out of it using your intended defensive rounds so that you know you can trust it. Take a class or two, practice dry-firing for good trigger and breathe control. Then find a holster and practice drawing from it(with no ammo anywhere near you or the gun) to build that muscle memory.

Do all of that. Before you ever actually carry.

Maturing Puffer Fish davidg1977's Avatar

my first handgun was a Glock 17 9mm still use it every now and then

Trev, definitely, I agree 100%. After reading all of this I dont think ill be concealing for a LOOOONG time. Having a gun in public and not being COMPLETELY apt in all aspects of handling one is just dumb in my book.

I would like something for the apartment but something I can shoot on a regular basis. Hence my thought on the .22. It would be a lot of fun to shoot a bunch of rounds frequently, also learn the weapon, and have something at home "in case".... If i buy a bigger caliber I won't be able to really shoot at the range much due to ammo prices, hence sort of negating the purpose of having a self defense weapon in the first place. Am i off base here?
    "Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

Full grown Puffer Fish

You aren't off base at all. Remember, nobody will stand in line to be shot with a .22.

Shooting is fun! Carrying, however, is something else entirely.

Yea exactly, concealed is serious business and I'm gonna wait till I'm trained and ready for that.

With that said, yes shooting is fun!! I feel like with a .22 I'd go a LOT more than if I had a 9, because i can get like 5x the rounds in a .22 format.

So I think I'm gonna go for a .22, as Trev said, no one is standing in line to be shot with a .22

Whatya guys think a good one would be? I'd LOOOOVE to get the Ruger revolver but its like 600 bucks. The S&W M&P can be had for 400 new, thats a nice looking gun. I don't really like the look of the Mark III.... what are your recommendations?
    "Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

Full grown Puffer Fish

.22 is super fun and you can get almost any style of gun to fire it. We have a Walther p22 that is fun. Rugers are great and can be reasonably priced. Seriously consider a used one.

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

Take a look at the Ruger 22/45 or Browning Buckmark. Both are good solid guns. Myself I like the Ruger 22/45 just because of that old familiar 1911 grip angle and feel.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Don't write off the Mark III until you've had a chance to handle and shoot one. Even better, IMO, would be a used Mark II. They are accurate, reliable, and available in a wide array of configurations, including the 22/45 models with a 1911 gripframe. I'm a single action guy at heart, and love my Single Six, but when it comes to chewing the center out of a target, I'll grab my old Mark II every time.

I have a Walther P22, too, and it's a fun gun, but it's not in the same league as the Ruger in terms of quality or accuracy.

Maturing Puffer Fish

sorry -- double tap

But since I'm here, I'll add that several Mark III variations are available new for < $300.

Not writing it off completely, but I want to like the look of my gun, as dumb as that may sound.

I think I found the one though! The Sig Sauer Mosquito, full size full weight pistol, I guess its great for training because it has the feel of a full size weapon. Looks nice too I'll have to do a bit more reading though. I'm in CO, if I buy online, do i only pay transfer fees or do I need to pay a sales tax too??

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokebill View Post
    Take a look at the Ruger 22/45 or Browning Buckmark. Both are good solid guns. Myself I like the Ruger 22/45 just because of that old familiar 1911 grip angle and feel.
    You had me at 1911.

Just because this thread is missing something, here are my Wiley Clapp 1911s, followed by my carry piece:

You know, just for fun.

Maturing Puffer Fish

I understand, Jim, but what I'm saying is that if you handle one, shoot it, and see all your bullet holes in a little tiny cluster in the middle of the target, the looks may start to grow on you.

Cannon, damn good point man

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast