Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

First Handgun?

This is a discussion on First Handgun? within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; So I think I want to get a handgun for home defense and possibly concealed carry. I think we live ...

First Handgun?

So I think I want to get a handgun for home defense and possibly concealed carry.

I think we live in a time where everyone needs protection.

I have very limited experience shooting, I've only shot a 9mm and a 22, I forgot which model they were. A cheap S&W I think.

What do you guys recommend? My budget is limited. I was looking at the Ruger P95 but seems a bit big to conceal. I've held it in a few shops already.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    "Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

Alpha Puffer Fish

Re: First Handgun?

I believe you came to the right place - there's guys here with the knowledge to send you in the right direction without the arguments that a hand gun sight would. Glock G17?

There is a pretty distinct difference between a weapon that will be used for home defense and concealed carry. I carry a S&W M&P Compact 40 and I love it. very easy to conceal, and very easy to shoot. I have several other guns but that is my go to. It is reasonably priced at about $450-500.
    ďA good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores". - Maxwell Q. Klinger - Mash 4077

Maturing Puffer Fish

Ideally, a first handgun should be a 22. Low recoil and cheap ammo mean more and better practice. That said, it's hardly an ideal defense gun.

Hi-capacity autos are popular, and have their advantages, but there's also something to be said for the simplicity of a double-action revolver. I know quite a few very experienced shooters who rely on old-fashioned DA's for home defense. They might have half a dozen stashed around the house, and their wives, kids, etc. know that all they have to do is point and pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by FWTX View Post
    I believe you came to the right place - there's guys here with the knowledge to send you in the right direction without the arguments that a hand gun sight would. Glock G17?
    Ken thats why I chose to ask here!!

I don't think I can spend 500 bucks right now, I'm thinking 350-400 is the limit.....

So a home defense hand gun and concealed hand gun are very different animals huh? Also, how are you guys concealing your weapons without it showing through shirts and what not? I do plan on taking a concealed weapons course soon as well.
    "Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

I'm watching you.

I've always been a fan of .22s to start off with. With limited pistol experience you'll get time to adjust to the firearm and aiming before moving on to something with stopping power.
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by StogieJim View Post
    Ken thats why I chose to ask here!!

I don't think I can spend 500 bucks right now, I'm thinking 350-400 is the limit.....

So a home defense hand gun and concealed hand gun are very different animals huh? Also, how are you guys concealing your weapons without it showing through shirts and what not? I do plan on taking a concealed weapons course soon as well.
    Home defense and concealed carry don't necessarily need to be different, but the size and weight concerns associated with a carry gun don't apply to something that lives in your dresser. Heck, I prefer a 12 gauge for around the house.

As far as concealing guns, you might be surprised. Dad and I teach concealed carry classes, and one of the highlights of the class is when, an hour or so into the class, I reveal the 12 to 15 guns that I've been carrying since they walked in the door. The average guy isn't looking for guns, and if he does notice a lump in your pocket, or on your belt, he thinks cell phone or wallet, not gun. For full-size guns, it's amazing what a quality inside-the-waistband holster will hide.

Cannon very interesting man. I can't afford 2 guns right now. I know a 22 would be the better choice, but i think it's time my wife and I are protected. shit is getting nuts out there.

The P95 is a great gun and right in my wheelhouse budget wise but would it make a good concealed??

Double action revolver huh? That's the revolver with no hammer right?

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Can't carry here in Jersey, but I do shoot.

You'll want to learn how to shoot before you carry or load a gun for home defense. Take a safety course and learn how to use your gun. Review the safety rules over and over, everytime you pick it up. Then go somewhere that you can hold them in your hand and see how they feel. My range will allow you to shoot some before buying. After you purchase, learn how to shoot. I am lucky to have people around to show me stance, trigger pull, sighting, etc. Finally practice and keep practicing. Then go and parctice some more.

These are just a few things I've learn about from the guys on this forum. I've only been shooting about two years and I still don't feel I'm anywhere near as comfortable with my guns as I could be.There are many here better qualified to give you advice, and I'm sure you'll hear from them.

I'd definitely recommend a .22 for learning and practice. I have a Brown Buckmaster and I cheaply shoot 100's of rounds a week. My "home defense" handgun is a Ruger GP100. I absolutely love how this gun shoots.

I don't know much about what to carry, but I feel strongly that whatever you choose, you'll want to make sure your prepared and comfortable with it, before you carry it out the door. My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Blaylock; 12-15-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader teedles915's Avatar

I too would suggest that a person start with the .22lr cartridge, but it seems in this situation the op only has the resources for one handgun. So I think there area a few options that will work.

The suggestion of a revolver is a pretty good one. They same to be much easier to operate and understand. I would suggest either a 38spcl or 357 magnum. Preferring a 357 so I can carry the magnum loads but practice with the lighter 38 loads. In your price range you may be able to pick up a good used Ruger or Smith and Wesson. Charter Arms makes some decent stuff that you could get new in that price range. Charter is definitely not a ruger or s&w, but IMHO it sure beats a Taurus or a Rossi. The 38 special was carried for years and worked for years, but the 357 magnum definitely is a stronger round. I would trust either with enough practice.

I am personally a semi auto person. My every day carry is a Glock 19 with a Houge Handall grip sleeve. But I am not a block fan boy. I will readily admit that there guns out there that will be just as reliable and look a lot better doing it. But in you price range you will probably be able to find a used Glock.

The 9mm round is my favorite. Its cheap (relatively speaking) easy to find, and isn't going away any time in the foreseeable future. My vote would be for you to handle a bunch of 9mm and see what feels good to ya. Narrow it down to two or three and shoot those, and pick the one you like best. Keep in mind that though the lil pocket guns are easier to conceal , they can be tough to learn on. The perceived recoil is stronger, and you have less room between the front and rear sites which can sometimes make it harder to get a better picture.

I would suggest something in the glock 19 or similar size. The S&W m&p line sees to get a lot of respect, and having put a few rounds through them I understand why. My wife's edc is a Walther p99 compact and it is great. Has the best trigger I have ever felt on a polymer gun.

There are lots of options out there its mind numbing sometimes. Go out and hold a few . If you find a few you like come back and ask us about them. I am sure with all the gun lovers on here you will have no problem getting answers.

I will say that I am fairly new to the gun hobby, but I did a bunch of research before deciding on mine. So I have a little bit of knowledge.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Lots of guys carry P95-sized guns and bigger every day. Whether it's a good choice for you, I don't know. IMO, the P95 is big enough that a quality holster is essential. Factor that into your budget. What about your wardrobe -- is it compatible with inside-the-waistband carry? Maybe not much of an issue in Colorado in the winter where you can hide pretty much anything under a coat, but something to consider nonetheless.

Double action doesn't necessarily mean hammerless, just that you can shoot it without manually cocking the hammer (the trigger is both cocking and releasing the hammer -- hence double action.) There are double action only revolvers where the hammer is concealed completely within the frame.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Almost everything worth carrying has a .22 counterpart..... Replacement slide, sister model etc. might not be a bad thing to look in to.

For a first gun, take a class, find a friend with some experience and a bunch of guns to try or find a range that rents. Nothing is more irritating than spending a bunch of money replacing that carry gun that didn't quite work out.

For the fourth time.

Ask me how I know.

For home defense IMHO, a handgun is the wrong tool. Spend $250 on an 870 express 12 ga and be done with it.

wow great stuff here guys thanks so much. I may have come off as a complete newb... im not that bad

I got pretty good at shooting and went to the range a bunch with a good friend back in florida. I dont know anyone here and the rental prices out this way are absurd.

Looks like S&W updated the SD9, its an SD9VE?? That's the model i shot but was a couple years ago, didnt get very great reviews, this one seems to get really nice reviews. Anyone have experience with this one?

I havent shot but have held the Ruger p95. The handle is a little thick, but it felt like a really nice weapon. The S&W M&P 40 and 9 felt fantastic but came with a 600 dollar price tag. I've held a glock (cant remember model but it was a 45) that felt great but I dont like the fact that it has no safety and a real easy trigger pull....

Where can i look at used guns anyways? and anything wrong with buying a used gun when you don't much about the mechanics and such?

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes jurgenph's Avatar

go to your local range, rent a few to shoot and try. see which one feels most comfortable to you.

J.

Jay to do that out here would cost me most of my budget!! I priced it out and it's insane. I'm still not sure why.

And to add, I can't believe how many guys here have guns, thats great!!

Oh, and there are plenty of spots in the mountains to go shooting and practice, just need the handgun first.... I guess I'm at a huge disadvantage with not having the proper budget, but that's how it goes sometimes

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast