Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pepper spray as a deterant

This is a discussion on Pepper spray as a deterant within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; All this talk of guns has me thinking of an over looked self defense alternative I believe people should be ...

Pepper spray as a deterant

All this talk of guns has me thinking of an over looked self defense alternative I believe people should be aware of.

Sabre makes a good easy to use product.

Please take a moment and take a look at these videos...

Pepper Spray Demo: FOAM (SABRE) - YouTube

Pepper Gel vs Pepper Foam (SABRE) - YouTube

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Re: Pepper spray as a deterant

I personally think everyone should have a chip implanted at birth at the first sign of aggression towards another Human. It automatically sends a shock down your spine rendering you helpless on the floor. Flapping like a flounder urinating and defecating in you pants. Something like a tazer gun. Of course the effects are short lived and fully reversible till the next time. You decide to harm another!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Did you see the movie...'The Island of Dr. Moreau' ?

Dr. Moreau (Marlon Brando) claims to have successfully conquered the impossible: to introduce human DNA into animals, eliminating their baser instincts and thereby creating a supposedly divine human, free from malice and hatred. After many attempts, only one experiment was successful and now the unsuccessful ones are given drugs every day to keep them from regressing into their animal forms. They are also controlled with electrical shock devices to keep them in order.

Pale Horse

I've been looking at Cold Steel's Inferno capsacin spray

Quote Originally Posted by Gdaddy View Post
    Did you see the movie...'The Island of Dr. Moreau' ?

Dr. Moreau (Marlon Brando) claims to have successfully conquered the impossible: to introduce human DNA into animals, eliminating their baser instincts and thereby creating a supposedly divine human, free from malice and hatred. After many attempts, only one experiment was successful and now the unsuccessful ones are given drugs every day to keep them from regressing into their animal forms. They are also controlled with electrical shock devices to keep them in order.
    My 2nd wife's favorite movie in fact i still have it in the box somewhere when we divorced for some reason she left it.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Full grown Puffer Fish

Having been both shot and pepper-sprayed, I can assure you that pepper spray is not a deterrent to a determined attacker; whereas a gunshot most definitely may be.

Pale Horse

Quote Originally Posted by CigarGoogler View Post
    Having been both shot and pepper-sprayed, I can assure you that pepper spray is not a deterrent to a determined attacker; whereas a gunshot most definitely may be.
    Agreed, but CC may not always be an option, such as in a "may issue" state. It may also be a legal requirement to first attempt to retreat before resorting to deadly force, and in both of those applications CS would be handy

Thanks for the links
    Last year I was involved in a few training exercises where we used "police grade" gel.
    I walked away from the exercise thinking that if a guy is within 15 feet, he can be on me in about .75 secs.
    I also remembered it rendered me useless. My wife has it in her pocket-book and often has her hands on
    it when walking alone, but I think I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by asmartbull View Post
    Thanks for the links
    Last year I was involved in a few training exercises where we used "police grade" gel.
    I walked away from the exercise thinking that if a guy is within 15 feet, he can be on me in about .75 secs.
    I also remembered it rendered me useless. My wife has it in her pocket-book and often has her hands on
    it when walking alone, but I think I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    Exactly. An attacker can close a distance of 21 feet in under 3 seconds under threat. I was not unable to act after being pepper-sprayed, but I was more anxious to protect myself using base instincts. Sobering experience for sure.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Horse View Post
    Agreed, but CC may not always be an option, such as in a "may issue" state. It may also be a legal requirement to first attempt to retreat before resorting to deadly force, and in both of those applications CS would be handy
    Agreed. Given an all or nothing proposition...I will take non-lethal means. My point is that the horses are out of he stable. Don't make me choose. I choose reasoned, trained alternatives.

I'm watching you.

I don't have the practice under my belt to CC, but I do have pepper spray, a self defense tool Smelvis gave me, and a taser all where I can get to them if I need them (not at the same time!). My son made me kubaton for self defense that I could use at close range if I have to, but still, a slug to the chest at range is where I'd rather be than up close.
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

As both a former OC Spray and Taser Instructor, I will say that if you live in a State (and City) that allows Tasers it should be the personal defense weapon of choice short of a fireaarm. It is the clear winner in just about every category. The personal carry Tasers are small, lightweight and fairly easy to conceal. The major drawback would be cost.

Pepper Spray is legal in all 50 states however many states do have local laws that restrict strength, canister size etc.

Unfortunately here in my liberal state of NY Tasers or stun guns are illegal. My wife who refuses to carry a firearm DOES carry Pepper Spray as do my teenage children. My youngest daughter who is only 12 will have one as soon as she is old enough.
    “A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores". - Maxwell Q. Klinger - Mash 4077

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

I keep pepper spray on belt when photographing these guys. It is more effective in stopping or turning a charge, they say, than a firearm. i hope I never find out.

The best example I can think of is George Zimmerman would have been far better off using pepper spray than his 9mm. But when your mind set is 'gun only' that's the only tool you'll think of using and it's NOT always the best choice. However, if I feared for my life the gun is the weapon of choice no doubt.

I carry pepper spray for dog attacks also. It is an inexpensive item that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokebill View Post
    I keep pepper spray on belt when photographing these guys. It is more effective in stopping or turning a charge, they say, than a firearm. i hope I never find out.

Damn Bill as always great pictures!
    Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast