Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Mossberg tacticle .22lr "flat top"

This is a discussion on Mossberg tacticle .22lr "flat top" within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Hey gents im very short on money this year and i am looking for a very cheap alternative of an ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes JoeT's Avatar

Mossberg tacticle .22lr "flat top"

Hey gents im very short on money this year and i am looking for a very cheap alternative of an ar 15. I saw this gun (mossberg tacticle .22lr, 289.99) and i thought it would be a great way to go about it for the price.

The rifle takes 22 longs and the ammo is easily accessible and very cheap, super cheap. I had a .45 s&w acp and i could not shoot it often because the rounds were just too high. The mossberg .22 has a quad rail system and im interested in the modle without the handle because i dont want to mount a red dot sight on the handle. Ill also put a surfire and a guard rail handle. It has a collapsible stock. I will also get my son and wife to shoot it and get used to handling it. The sotck will offer positions that will fit all of us. I Know its pretty light due to most of it is made of abs plastic which im not too fond of but is cheap. Does anyone have personal experience with this rifle and is it worth getting? Basiclly im looking for these things.

1. High mag count 10+
    2. .22 ammo or cheap ammo
    3. Low price
    4. little to no kick for the misses and son
    5. able to accessorize it, ie laser,surfire,bigpod,scope, and handle etc.

Re: Mossberg tacticle .22lr "flat top"

If you are buying the gun just to have something to play around with and get the family into shooting, yeh doesn't sound like a bad deal. But if you are getting it for a home defense or larger game hunting rifle, i'd pass.

What I don't understand is you can get the S&W AR22 thats almost two times as much as the Mossberg. Either the S&W is overpriced or the Mossberg is lacking somewheres.

But for an entry level gun its sounds ok. Im more of a Ruger 10-22 fan myself though.

I would actually prefer the S&W ive read good stuff about it and the ergonomics it has with the ar-15. The round is obviously really too small for hunting other than small rodents. This rifle is gonna be a plinkster. Although its main purpose is to get the family use to it and shooting for fun at times it can also be used as home defense as a bonus. If the 200 price difference majorly out weighs the difference between the 2 guns maybe it would be a better idea to go with the S&W. I too have always liked rugger and at one point owned a wooden stock 10/22 with 32 rd banana clips. I checked the the rugger 22 and they are pretty pricey.

Guns, Swords, Watches, Cigars, no wonder money is short
    - Sin City Bomber -

Quote Originally Posted by exprime8 View Post
    Guns, Swords, Watches, Cigars, no wonder money is short

Tell me about it but i noticed u in all the same areas lol!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    Tell me about it but i noticed u in all the same areas lol!!!!!
    ahaa haa very true!!!
    - Sin City Bomber -

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    I would actually prefer the S&W ive read good stuff about it and the ergonomics it has with the ar-15. The round is obviously really too small for hunting other than small rodents. This rifle is gonna be a plinkster. Although its main purpose is to get the family use to it and shooting for fun at times it can also be used as home defense as a bonus. If the 200 price difference majorly out weighs the difference between the 2 guns maybe it would be a better idea to go with the S&W. I too have always liked rugger and at one point owned a wooden stock 10/22 with 32 rd banana clips. I checked the the rugger 22 and they are pretty pricey.
    I got my 10-22 about 15 to 20 years ago when you could get a 10-22 for about $100 and I paid almost $250+ for it. Its a limited edition etc.... etc...
    But as long as its a entry level gun for the family, no reason to spend major money on a gun if they don't take a liking to shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by thebayratt View Post
    I got my 10-22 about 15 to 20 years ago when you could get a 10-22 for about $100 and I paid almost $250+ for it. Its a limited edition etc.... etc...
    But as long as its a entry level gun for the family, no reason to spend major money on a gun if they don't take a liking to shooting.
    Yea its mainly for the fam to get used to weapon and gun safety. Also i am not always here so id like the misses to be able to operate a firearm without being intimidated or fearful of it. I was just wanting to know if anyone had some hands on with this gun and could verify the operation and function of this gun. I think im going to find one and hold it myself and go from there. I do however know the s&w is without a doubt a great rifle to go to if all else fails.

Well finally just went out and looked for the mossberg, finally finding one lets just say i bought the smith and wesson m&p 15 22 without thinking twice about the price difference. It was no comparison quality wise.