Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

357 Sig?

This is a discussion on 357 Sig? within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Anyone here have a pistol chambered in 357 Sig or experience with one. I have shot it at work and ...

357 Sig?

Anyone here have a pistol chambered in 357 Sig or experience with one.

I have shot it at work and will be doing so a lot more in the near future but of course I am not paying for the ammo nor supplying the 226. Thinking about one to hone skill after hours.

Re: 357 Sig?

If you don't have to supply the ammo, then go for it. All I know is it is a difficult and expensive round to come by. From what I hear, it's a 40s&w case with a projectile sized to 357. I've always been a do what you want because you want to kind of guy and understand the wildcat round allure, but unless you aren't buying the ammo, I can't see the point and would go with something a little more standard.

Puffer Fish with some spikes JeepGuy's Avatar

Its a very powerful round. The ammo will be hard to find and expensive. I have a 10mm and have the same problem. Walmart does not carry it and bass pro inflates prices.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Lrbergin's Avatar

Good round but like said above, it's expensive to shoot. I used to have a .357 sig barrel for my .40 glock but didn't shoot it often because of the cost. I personally wouldn't own one unless I reloaded.

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

As other have said the .357 Sig can be expensive to feed. You can pick up a .40 S&W barrel that is just a drop in conversion. The .40 S&W round is easy to come by and cheaper.

I have a Tarus 357 revolver and love it. From looking at Cabela's the 357 Sig round is a couple of $$ cheaper than the Magnum. The nice thing about the 357 is that you can shoot 38 and save about $8 per box.

Quote Originally Posted by Lrbergin View Post
    Good round but like said above, it's expensive to shoot. I used to have a .357 sig barrel for my .40 glock but didn't shoot it often because of the cost. I personally wouldn't own one unless I reloaded.
    and the problem there, for me, was that when I did have one EVERY case I recovered was split at the shoulder. Just such insane pressures involved. What good's reloading when the cases only hold for one go? I ended up getti a .40 barrel for my 226.
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Puffer Fish with some spikes LuvMaduros's Avatar

I've been carrying a 357SIG for 15+ years and have no intention of changing. The only problem I've had is finding ammo that is truly up to spec. Many companies claim 1350fps but when you run it over a chrony it usually is watered down. Like has been said, if you don't reload, just pick up a .40 barrel for your pistol and practice with that. If you ever shoot one with good 1350+ ammo into calibrated gel you will understand why the love in the trooper/hw patrol community. The secret service and air marshals carry it also. My carry ammo is Double Tap 125 HP. I've chronographed it from my short barreled Glock 33 at 1395fps.

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

the 357 Sig is an outstanding round. Particularly if you aren't supplying your own ammo. Don't confuse a 357 Sig, a 357 mag and a 38 they are totally different animals.

I have a 357 sig in a S&W M&P compact for several years. The ammo is available from Georgia Arms for just slightly more than .40 cal. $17 instead of $15 for .40 cal. for 50 round packs. (factory reloads for practice)

It's also been available in Walmart as well as other places that carry ammo. I've never been unable to get it. DON'T buy it at a range as they will over charge you.

The 357 sig is a .40 caliber casing necked down to a 9mm bullet. It's a 9mm on steroids. Very accurate and powerful yet as easy to control as a .40.

All you need to convert it to a .40 cal is a barrel. The magazines are .40 cal and the conversion takes less than a minute. Like two guns in one.

Get one ...it's unique , different and you'll love it!

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

if you decide to reload you don't want to use 9mm bullets. the higher speed requires a heavier jacket.

Puffer Fish with some spikes LuvMaduros's Avatar

For reloading the best bullet for hunting/defense loads IMHO is the 125gr XTP from Hornady. It is very accurate and reliable. For a practice load the Montana Gold 125hp gives almost duplicate performance with a bullet designed for paper not expansion.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish FN in MT's Avatar

Carried a SIG 229 for the last ten years I was on the Hwy Patrol. When we went to the R model rail guns, I purchased my previous duty weapon. Few years later when I retired the Troops gifted my my last 229R as a retirement gift.

I've also got a 226 X-5 All Around, a heavier, slightly larger, all SS Match gun in .357 sig too. Great round,especially when loaded to it's full potential. We carried 9mm's for some years and previously carried M-28 revolvers with REAL .357 ammo. The nines were decent on injured big game, but no better than a +P .38 Special. The .357 sigs were a night and day difference in road hit deer and elk! Like the .357's we originally carried , many years back.

And of the on duty shooting we have had....NO issues. Worked very well.

Reloading is not an issue. BUT one MUST use a .357 SIG Specific BULLET. Many 9mm bullet have a bit of a taper. The .357 sig has such a short neck, that you need a good case to bullet grip as well as a taper crimp to properly load the round. I have used 125 gr Montana Gold FMJ's since the start and they have worked just fine. Hornady and Speer make useable 125's for the round.

FN in MT

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Hopperb's Avatar

Ive got a Sig P239 that I bought chambered in 40 but I didn't like it so I changed the barrel out to 357 Sig and like it much better. From a penetration standpoint the 357 sig is better. Tried it myself on sheets of 1.5" Bullet Resistant Polymer and while the 40 would penetrate to approx 1.25" the 357 sig will penetrate to the edge meaning it will break the plane of the back of the polymer not actually penetrate through.

As far as reloading goes I don't have any issues as some PD's in the area issue the 357 sig and they never police their brass so I have picked up enough to keep myself in stock. One of the posts above mentioned splitting cases and I wonder if something isn't off in the chamber of your barrel - the barrel should be chambered to fit the necked down cartridge and prevent the splitting. It could also be a case of poor quality brass or a bad batch from the ammo manufacturer.

Newbie in the ocean

I've got a sig P229 I carried for a long time chambered for it, I carry a Sig P239 in 9mm now because its by its nature less than 10 rounds. but I'm a 357 SIG fan boy forever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast