Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bore cleaning rod that fits a .22

This is a discussion on Bore cleaning rod that fits a .22 within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; interesting. i don't even have a dedicated .22 cleaning rod. the ones i got for my 9mm work in both ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes jurgenph's Avatar

Re: Bore cleaning rod that fits a .22

interesting.

i don't even have a dedicated .22 cleaning rod. the ones i got for my 9mm work in both my .22 pistol and .22 rifle.
    using different brushes and jags ofcourse.
    as mentioned before, the patches for your .22 should be pretty tiny... like .5"x.5"

yeah, sorry i wasn't more helpful here

J.

I use the .22 boresnake from Hoppe's for general cleaning of my 22's. About once every 6 months or so I'll go ahead and break them completely down (trigger and all) and detail clean every single piece. During the detail cleaning I'll use a rod (Walmart has full length rods for $4 that will fit the .22) and patch with some solvent, I shoot the .22's so much that there is no point to getting it perfect because I'll be shooting it again in a couple of days.

I picked up a Hoppe's bore snake for .22 pistols. Ran it once dry, once with solvent, and the last time with oil on the very end.

Worked beautifully

How do you guys clean in there by the hammer? theres a bunch of little parts/springs I couldnt get em "spotless" but the gun is pretty clean again
    "Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

If I am not going to do a complete disassembly I use an air compressor to blow it out. Picks and q-tips are handy also.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by StogieJim View Post
    I picked up a Hoppe's bore snake for .22 pistols. Ran it once dry, once with solvent, and the last time with oil on the very end.

Worked beautifully

How do you guys clean in there by the hammer? theres a bunch of little parts/springs I couldnt get em "spotless" but the gun is pretty clean again
    First off, I would learn how to to a detail strip of your firearm.

Not the easiest thing to do with most guns, but with patience and a helping hand (i.e. someone who is proficietn with firearms) it can be done effectively.

I recommend this for 2 reasons. #1, it is the best way to make sure the firearm is COMPLETELY clean. No matter how hard you try, you can't get everything unless you take the gun apart. #2, it is easier to diagmose any issues if something goes wrong with the gun. If you know how all the moving parts interact with one another, you can usually pinpoint the culprit when there are malfunctions.

Outside of that, and if I'm not in the mood for a detail strip, I usually just field strip the gun and take a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner and hose out the FCG of my pistols. That does a pretty good job of getting all the carbon and schmutz out of the action and FCG.

If you go the brake cleaner route you may want to remove any plastic parts from the gun first, and make sure you don't have a finish that the brake cleaner will eat. Spot check in any places you are concerned about, since I'm not going to take responsibility if this stuff eats part of your gun, or frosts the finist. It's also VERY important to get non-chlorinated brake cleaner. The chlorinated stuff, in my opinion, will make a real mess, and result in a trip to the store for a new gun.

And for the sake of your helath, and the sanity of those you live with, spray this stuff outside. It works really really well, but makes a mess.

That and I have a bushel of Q-tips and a gallon of Hoppes at my disposal at all times.

Oh... and plus a gazillion on the bore snake. That's the only way I clean my .22s

thanks man, what is FCG?

I can't use brake cleaner as the gun is a polymer frame, but I got some pretty good cleaner already, i just didnt know if I should be soaking pieces that I know I wouldn't be able to dry completely... hammer/springs/etc, etc...

EDIT: Oh and the ruger manual says do not take it past a certain point when breaking down the gun, basically dont take it past field stripping. I don't think I trust myself to fully break down my gun. I wouldn't be able to put it back together!!!
    "Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

Elder Puffer Fish Leader David_ESM's Avatar

thanks man, what is FCG?

I can't use brake cleaner as the gun is a polymer frame, but I got some pretty good cleaner already, i just didnt know if I should be soaking pieces that I know I wouldn't be able to dry completely... hammer/springs/etc, etc...

EDIT: Oh and the ruger manual says do not take it past a certain point when breaking down the gun, basically dont take it past field stripping. I don't think I trust myself to fully break down my gun. I wouldn't be able to put it back together!!!
    FCG would typically be Firing Control Group, or the trigger parts.

Typically you don't have to take them apart during cleaning. Clean your barrel, clean the slide and chamber area and wipe down all the exposed control group parts that you can get at without further disassembling. No worries.
    Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

I have 22's that I have only cleaned by spraying them good with Remginton Rem Oil. Trust me do NOT take a Ruger any farther apart then they recommend. The barrel is only 3.5 inches any regular pistol rod should go in OK. Make sure you don't have two different diameter rods. You got to be extra care when inserting the rod not to hit or snag the end of the barrel. enter 'Ruger SR22 cleaning" over on YouTube and there are a bunch of good video

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

thanks man, what is FCG?

Fair enough. Every manual will say not to take it down past the field strip point..... they don't want to field the 1,000 phone calls a day telling people how bad they wrecked their gun. Rugers are certainly on the high end of the gun disassembly learning curve. If you aren't comfortable, don't do it. Simple solution.

As far as worrying about getting springs dry, unless you're cleaning with salt water I wouldn't worry too much about it. Hoppes (or similar solvents) and oil aren't going to hurt anything as long as you get the vast majority of it off. For that an air compressor is your friend, and in lieu of that the canned air that most offices have in the work in a pinch. Although it's necessary for proper fundtion in auto pistols, excess oil is a dirt magnet. Too much left in the FCG, slide, etc will turn to paste in no time and turn your handgun into a brick. Just make sure you use oil sparingly. (that, of course, is my opinion.)

Everyone has a different way of cleaning (hell, some people almost NEVER clean their guns. Drives me crazy.)... so for each response you will get a different answer. The best thing you can do (as mentioned in the above post) is to go to you tube, watch a bunch of videos, and adopt what makes the most sense to you.

Enjoy your firearm, and remember... a clean gun is a happy gun!

Thanks guys, and yea I didn't know how much oil to put on the gun. What i did was just spray a patch with rem oil, wiped down areas of metal on metal then went over that with a dry patch. area seemed slick but no oil left around. is that about right? And ive seen all the ruger cleaning vids, everyone is different!!

The guy at the shop told me to get this cleaner M7 Pro. 10 bucks spray cleaner, honestly it DID NOT work like a solvent and i had to scrape everything even after spraying twice. the vids i saw with people using Hoppes 9 solvent, they literally put it on a patch and wiped grime and it came right off!!! Maybe I should get some of that??

Great stuff here everyone, thanks for the guidance!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2