Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bore cleaning rod that fits a .22

This is a discussion on Bore cleaning rod that fits a .22 within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; So I just picked up my gun today. Picked up a "pistol cleaning bore kit" had the rod and a ...

Bore cleaning rod that fits a .22

So I just picked up my gun today. Picked up a "pistol cleaning bore kit" had the rod and a bunch of brushes. for a .22, 9mm, etc, etc...

Anyways, I used that end with the slit in it put a little tiny bit of oil on a patch, go to run it through and the thing doesnt fit!!

I almost couldn't get it out of the bore and it only went in like an inch!

Can someone tell me what I need to get as far as a bore rod? apparently this won't work. I want to clean my gun after shooting the first time out.

Thanks!
    "Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

some say I'm a dreamer... BMack's Avatar

Re: Bore cleaning rod that fits a .22

I use just a patch with oil and the smallest tip, it doesn't have a slit, more like a nipple... it is just for pushing it through.
    My backyard is more humid than my humidor.

hmmmm, I'll give that a try. i really don't want to go to walmart right now It did include that nipple piece as well.

Thanks Brian!
    "Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

No longer a community member.

Is the rod too thick, or was it too thick with the patch? Patch might be too large. Try cutting it down.

I buy packs of cotton 12ga patches and then just cut them down to fit whatever I am cleaning at that moment.

Nope didnt work. The actual rod wont even fit into the barrel, I just tried. Not sure why they advertise it as a 22 when it doesnt fit!

I'll have to return this, hopefully they take it back with no receipt, and ill go to a different store to find one that works.

I did see that winchester kit, comes in a red aluminum tube, anyone ever use that on a 22LR barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by StogieJim View Post
    Nope didnt work. The actual rod wont even fit into the barrel, I just tried. Not sure why they advertise it as a 22 when it doesnt fit!

I'll have to return this, hopefully they take it back with no receipt, and ill go to a different store to find one that works.

I did see that winchester kit, comes in a red aluminum tube, anyone ever use that on a 22LR barrel?
    Look for the bore snake. I had one in 22lr that I just recently lost, need to buy a new one.

Freaking awesome for cleaning out a 22. I use it on about 4 22lr rifles and used it for 223. Real easy. Then buy a little nylon brush for scrubbing at the other parts.

I use a boot lace. Bore snake works great too - created by some guy who saw all of us GIs using boot laces with knots in them to clean our M16s.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

That is brilliant Brian. Never would have thought of that.

I have a 26" rod that fits in my .22 I got from walmart. Just to toss it out there.

How would i use a patch with solvent on a bore snake? or do i just spray the snake with solvent? Boot lace is a good idea

the rods at walmart absolutely don't fit my 22LR. I bought one specifically for pisotls and .22 cal....

You put your solvent on the bore snake. I believe they sell them at Walmart as well. Bushnell Hoppes Boresnake .22 Rifle Cleaner: Hunting : Walmart.com

Bore snake it is!! I have them for all my shootin irons. Once the snakes get a little grungy, I throw them in the washing machine with my rags.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

hmm , ok i'll have to look into this! I read a ton on the net where people were saying bore snake is a horrible idea. But it seems to be the easiest way

how do i get the extra oil and stuff out of the barrel though after the snake? do i need 2 snakes?

Starts around two and a half minutes in...

Edit: I don't put the final lubricant in the barrel like he did, I just put a few drops on the end of the snake.

Last edited by David_ESM; 12-24-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Hmmm, so bore snake cleans first then wipes everything out..?? I didnt know that! maybe I'll just get a bore snake

Thanks for the vid!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast