Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Cleaning kit for Mossberg 500 shotgun?

This is a discussion on Cleaning kit for Mossberg 500 shotgun? within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Looking for a simple cleaning kit. I barely use this shotgun so would like one with oils, etc. let me ...

Cleaning kit for Mossberg 500 shotgun?

Looking for a simple cleaning kit. I barely use this shotgun so would like one with oils, etc. let me know your thoughts please!
    Veni Vidi Vici

Puffer Fish with some spikes JeepGuy's Avatar

Re: Cleaning kit for Mossberg 500 shotgun?

Any basic cleaning kit wil do. You should be able to pick one up locally for around $15-20. Just make sure it comes with a cleaning solvent and lubricating oil.

If it is your only gun and used lightly, I would suggest a bore snake and a bottle of CLP. An old toothbrush and a few q-tips and you would be set.

I use Breakfree CLP and a Hoppes boresnake on my trap gun. Of course most any brand of cleaner, lube and rust preventative will work. It is kind of like which cigar is best, a personal choice.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Full grown Puffer Fish TopsiderLXI's Avatar

I too am in the market for a cleaning kit for my 500. I havent bought one yet, but have been looking at these at Bass pro. The reviews help a lot and will probably pick up one of the kits for under $40 since my shotgun has light use.
    Here, have a cigar. Light it up and be somebody.

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

For shotguns CLP and a Hoppes Bore Snake are the way to go. Quick, easy and do a great job. That is what I use on my shotguns after each time out.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokebill View Post
    For shotguns CLP and a Hoppes Bore Snake are the way to go. Quick, easy and do a great job. That is what I use on my shotguns after each time out.
    This ^^^

I will 4th this. Bore snake, brake klean, and oil. Takes no time at all to clean up after shooting.

in my book, a cleaning kit for a mossberg 500 is redundant unless you're shooting it A LOT. I have 2 of them. I clean my competition shotty once at the end of a 3 gun season, and I don't remember the last time I cleaned my general woods bumming 500, but I've probably only put about 40 rounds down it in the last 5 years. in some people's eyes it might be gun abuse, in my eyes it just fine.
    “When truth is replaced by silence,the silence is a lie.” Yevgeny Yevtushenko