Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Firearm Photos

This is a discussion on Firearm Photos within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Just working on how I take photos, open to opinions but otherwise I hope you enjoy....

Elder Puffer Fish Leader David_ESM's Avatar

Firearm Photos

Just working on how I take photos, open to opinions but otherwise I hope you enjoy.

Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

Re: Firearm Photos

And these are the same photos from my Garand thread but with a filter. Again, welcoming opinions.

Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

What are you using for a setup? Light source?

I'm no professional phogtographer, but I have spent quite a bit of time taking pictures of guns...... I think it's all kinds of fun.

If you can get some space between the gun and the background, you have a much beter chance of getting rid of those shadows you'[re getting from your light source, or at least allowing them to have less impact on your picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Stradawhovious View Post
    What are you using for a setup? Light source?

I'm no professional phogtographer, but I have spent quite a bit of time taking pictures of guns...... I think it's all kinds of fun.

If you can get some space between the gun and the background, you have a much beter chance of getting rid of those shadows you'[re getting from your light source, or at least allowing them to have less impact on your picture.
    Just a simple point and shoot with a built in flash. Trying different methods of redirecting and filtering the flash. Just trying to get the most bang out of what I got I guess

Don't mind the shadows so much, I actually enjoy the way they look in the shot zoomed in on the center of the rifle. But I will keep that in mind for other shots.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by David_ESM View Post
    Just a simple point and shoot with a built in flash. Trying different methods of redirecting and filtering the flash. Just trying to get the most bang out of what I got I guess

Don't mind the shadows so much, I actually enjoy the way they look in the shot zoomed in on the center of the rifle. But I will keep that in mind for other shots.
    A kleenex in front of the flash will work wonders in helping diffuse the light, and making it less "hard". Rigging up a little square with some scotch tape seems to work well. Just make sure you don't tape it flush on top of the flash.... might generatoe too much heat. Give it some space between the flash and the kleenex. Also, if you have a dollar store near you, go and pick up a bunch of large white tackboard for bouncing the light where you want it to go. You can have a lot of fun, and get some really nice results with some experimentation.

Other than that, depending on what you are trying to acomplish with these photos, they are turning out well! If you have a photoshop program like Adobe Illustrator, it can be your best friend as well........

Let me know if you want some examples of my stuff for comparison sake, and I will PM you some links. I really enjoy chatting about photography.

Maturing Puffer Fish

I've taken good pictures in a light box, but getting the light just right is a pain. Outdoors, cloudy day, no flash works better than any other method I've tried.

Puffer Fish with some spikes ATCarp's Avatar

I love that Garand. It looks to be in great shape. how old is it?