Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Need a good combo deer/turkey shotgun recommendation

This is a discussion on Need a good combo deer/turkey shotgun recommendation within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Brand new into hunting and want to get a gun for my own so I dont have to use the ...

Need a good combo deer/turkey shotgun recommendation

Brand new into hunting and want to get a gun for my own so I dont have to use the father in laws off sight shotty. I was looking at either a remington or mossberg with the extra barrels or chokes for turkey but wanted some opinions, oh and I want semi auto also. Looking to spend $400-500. Thanks for looking and the opinions.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems."- Homer Jay Simpson

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Re: Need a good combo deer/turkey shotgun recommendation

Remington 1187 bud. If you do think about looking into a pump the Remington 870 is the best pump gun made IMO. No rattle in the pump and the barrels change easy for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiks View Post
    Remington 1187 bud. If you do think about looking into a pump the Remington 870 is the best pump gun made IMO. No rattle in the pump and the barrels change easy for sure.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not the greatest shot so thats why I was leaning semi over pump but I'll def look into both.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems."- Homer Jay Simpson

You can shoot a pump as fast as a semi with some practice. Save the cash and go 870 or mossberg 500. 870's have a better finish, but mossbergs have an easier to replace extractor (which rarely breaks on either gun in the first place) I've got two Benelli's that sit in my safe at home, a legacy and a sbe II. My wood-stocked 870 goes out with me because I'm not afraid to toss it around through briars, rain, mud, etc. I'd just get a smoothbore with chokes. 00 buck for deer, and full choke turkey loads in the spring.

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

for those that know me...shotguns have two barrels, one right next to the other, side by side.

Now on to the question I really like the Benelli Nova Turkey Gun with the Steadygrip which is just a camo version of the Nova Tactical. If you could get it with the ghost ring sights it would be a the perfect turkey, deer and coyote killing machine.

If you have to have an semi-auto the Benelli M2 Tactical with ghost ring sights and then have someone add camo for you.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

For the money you can't beat a MossBerg its like a Remington Jet Lite cheap and always works!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Full grown Puffer Fish TopsiderLXI's Avatar

Mossberg has a combo that comes with a 28" Full choke and a 18.5" cylinder bore barrel for $325.
    Here, have a cigar. Light it up and be somebody.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Steel Talon's Avatar

Remington 1187 Super Mag... is what you want
    Take your time...Don't live to fast..Troubles will come and they will pass..

Puffer Fish with some spikes klittle250's Avatar

An 870 is hard to beat, but the older ones are better quality than the new ones in my opinion.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Lrbergin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokebill View Post
    for those that know me...shotguns have two barrels, one right next to the other, side by side.

Now on to the question I really like the Benelli Nova Turkey Gun with the Steadygrip which is just a camo version of the Nova Tactical. If you could get it with the ghost ring sights it would be a the perfect turkey, deer and coyote killing machine.

If you have to have an semi-auto the Benelli M2 Tactical with ghost ring sights and then have someone add camo for you.
    I've got the M2 for birds and it's a hell of a gun, but will run 1K plus and that doesn't include a slug barrel.

I would go with an older 870 if it were me. The older ones were better quality than new (as with most things anymore) and you can get a slug barrel for it for cheap.