Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

This is a discussion on An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; A good Read An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power...

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

An "oath" has no expiration date......

Newbie in the ocean

Re: An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

Thanks for the link. I see this asked over and over, good info.

So I guess the answer is to carry a 22 and a 357

Empirical analysis is good for when your own circumstances lie within the data space. For a general comparison, I like the Taylor Knockout Factor (TKOF):
    TKOF = projectile weight (#) * speed (feet/sec) * caliber (inches), or
    TKOF = grains * feet/sec * caliber / 7000.

or..... practice a quick and accurate double tap.

Since most rounds average right around 2 rounds to completely incapacitate according to that article, makes sense to me to get as good as you can at it.

Re-reading this article reinforces the findings of an ER doc, who studied gunshot wounds/fatalities . I will
    see if I can find the article.
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asmartbull View Post

Great article i have read it many times.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

I've read this more than a few times. What one really should take away from this is that bullet placement is critical. For many that is more easily accomplished with smaller more easily controlled calibers. I like big heavy slow calibers but if you can't put them where they belong your better off shooting something you can put where it belongs.

Young Puffer Fish shawnrichardson's Avatar

I agree with the shot placement. But you can not deny the effectiveness of a shotgun.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Steel Talon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shawnrichardson View Post
    I agree with the shot placement. But you can not deny the effectiveness of a shotgun.
    Delivering a load of Heavy Turkey or #4 buck
    Take your time...Don't live to fast..Troubles will come and they will pass..

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokebill View Post
    I've read this more than a few times. What one really should take away from this is that bullet placement is critical. For many that is more easily accomplished with smaller more easily controlled calibers. I like big heavy slow calibers but if you can't put them where they belong your better off shooting something you can put where it belongs.
    I am in the same mindset the largest caliber you can shoot effectively two shots placed center of mass. For me the 45 A.C.P always wins. On a side note i have a friend Jimmy that C.C. as single action 45 long Colt cowboy revolver. He can place two shots center of mass quicker than most can clear leather. My point if there is one train till your tired then train some more. The gun you shot is only as good as you can shot it! The gun pro at the range always says! " Train hard stay strong win the fight"
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Steel Talon's Avatar

Targeting should be high on the thoracic tree, double tap minimum, triple tap even better. Third one being a catastrophic hit to the brain pan. However under the stress of survival most good people can't shoot with this precision.
    Take your time...Don't live to fast..Troubles will come and they will pass..