Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bought my first pistol, can't shoot it, NO AMMO ANYWHERE!

This is a discussion on Bought my first pistol, can't shoot it, NO AMMO ANYWHERE! within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; So I basically spent all my money on a paperweight I was able to take it to the range one ...

Bought my first pistol, can't shoot it, NO AMMO ANYWHERE!

So I basically spent all my money on a paperweight

I was able to take it to the range one time, but since then I can't find ammo anywhere. Even online, sold out everywhere.

How long is this gonna last? Anyone have a huge stockpile that they'd be willing to sell me some of it?

Kinda sucks owning a pistol and not being able to shoot it!!
    "Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

Puffer Fish with some spikes iggy_jet's Avatar

Re: Bought my first pistol, can't shoot it, NO AMMO ANYWHERE!

It would be nice to know what caliber bullets you are looking for?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Just1ce's Avatar

What caliber you looking for? Ammo can be found with some effort but be willing to bend over for it. If you can find it, prices are usually 2-3 times normal. We saw the same thing in 2008-2009, but it wasn't quite this bad. It should calm down within a year or so, short of massive catastrophes or some other unforeseen event. In 2008 I could find 50 round boxes of 9mm for about $9. Occasionally I will see one go for $13 per box for basic stuff. I have seen standard FMJ ammo going for $30-35 per box recently.

If you have a Dicks Sporting Goods nearby, find out what days of the week they usually get shipments in and be there on those mornings when they open the doors. You will likely get what you need.

Right on man, problem is I work every morning when they get shipments!

I'm looking for 22LR. I've seen the 525 round boxes that are normally 18-20 bucks at walmart for 90+ shipping. i just cant bend THAT much!

So do you think prices will come back eventually? Or is this gonna be the new norm?
    "Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

OH WOW, things are going nuts! Even my normal supplier has no stock and they pulled the plug on their site.

Puffer Fish with some spikes slap1914's Avatar

I'm no conspiracy nut but there are reports that the government has ordered large amounts of ammo.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Just1ce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slap1914 View Post
    I'm no conspiracy nut but there are reports that the government has ordered large amounts of ammo.
    They certainly have. It's no rumor. DHS has placed an order for 1.6 billion rounds of ammo over a 4-5 year period. I won't start into my politicial discussion regarding that though.

To StogieJim, yes things will normalize eventually. There are peaks in demand for ammo every so often (pretty much every four years ). The ammo manufacturers rely heavily on economies of scale to keep the industry profitable (meaning they make LOTS of it at a time to take advantage of the efficiencies stemming from large volumes) and investment in new machinery, property, and personnel is an expensive venture that most are unwilling to take in order to only meet temporary demand fluctuations. Short of other political occurrences which I won't discuss on this forum, the ammo market will normalize eventually (when it does I suggest you buy as much ammo as you can get so that in four years when the demand spikes again you have all you need already). It took about 8 months to a year in 2008-2009 to normalize completely, but it might be a little longer this time.

Win
    Puffer Fish with some spikes Win's Avatar

Find out when your local Walmart restocks, I've had a bit of luck doing that. Not sure what gun you bought but some semi-auto 22s are fussy. Good luck, if I find some at Walmart I'll get back to you.

Win

Right on thanks Win. Yep I have the schedules for the Walmart, that last 2 times I showed up there was a line 7 people deep. They received 100 rounds of 22 last shipment. Naturally they were gone by the time it was my turn at the counter.

Oh well, guess i can keep the gun in some clear case so at least I can LOOK at it from time to time

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

just sayin lol
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

You're not going to like this. The rumors I hear around work are it may be six to nine months before things return to normal with ammo suppliers (I'm betting it will be sooner). You've got good advice already. Find out when the big box stores get deliveries and be there.

Yesterday we had a pallet load of $19.99 325 round Federal .22 LR AutoMatch target loads hit the floor at open. They are limiting customers to 5 boxes per day. Within an hour it was gone. It was the same for the 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 acp they put out. It seems the world has gone crazy.

Be thankful your not looking for .223/5.56 ammo.

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

This is my last .22 cal purchase http://air-ordnance.com/
    Name:  550-hot-spot-10.jpg
Views: 5556
Size:  39.9 KB

Hey Jim, if you can't find any ammo soon, drop me a PM and I'll be sure to get you some rounds from a private stash.

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnePyroTec View Post
    This is my last .22 cal purchase http://air-ordnance.com/
    Name:  550-hot-spot-10.jpg
Views: 5556
Size:  39.9 KB

Hey Jim, if you can't find any ammo soon, drop me a PM and I'll be sure to get you some rounds from a private stash.
    swheet! Airguns ROCK!
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Sweet Wayne, thanks for the offer man!

I might be PM'ing you in a couple weeks time. I'm doing my best, hitting 3-4 shops daily. nothing. ever.

Yup....

Big 5 gets theirs on fridays in the early morning hours before opening.
    Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast