Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

question about live round ejection

This is a discussion on question about live round ejection within the Guns and Knives forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Figured I'd ask here and not get flamed to death on the ruger forum I haven't been able to take ...

question about live round ejection

Figured I'd ask here and not get flamed to death on the ruger forum

I haven't been able to take my Sr22 to the range very much due to ammunition shortages and I don't want to try this indoors until I know my gun inside and out.

Anyways, i was at the range and trying to learn every aspect of gun malfunction just in case. So I put a round in the chamber (entire round inside the barrel), took out the mag, made sure it was empty and put back in so it was able to be fired still. (gun won't fire if no mag in)

I then tried to take the live round out of the barrel by racking the slide, nothing happened. I literally had to tilt the gun back and use my fingernail to get the round out. That can't be right? Gun was also on safety as I didnt want the hammer to drop accidentally and a live round go off unexepectedly.

So if I've got a live round in the end of the barrel, how do i get it to eject completely? I need to know this as I plan to have this as a CCW once I get my license and learn everything I can about this pistol.

Say I've got 9 in the mag and one in the chamber, how do i unload the thing completely when i get home? I was under the impression, take out mag, then rack slide and that last round will eject onto the ground/bed/etc.....??

Thanks for all your help guys, shooting is fun!
    "Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

Re: question about live round ejection

(gun won't fire if no mag in) - that's the first thing I take care of..
    So I put a round in the chamber - how? by stripping it off the mag or dropping it in with your fingers?
    how do i unload the thing completely when i get home - assuming you have a ccw since you're driving with a loaded pistol.

anyway, lock the slide back and put in your mag and let the slide go forward then drop the mag and rack the slide. (safety off or on) that should eject the round. if you don't let the slide work as designed the ejector pin won't be over the rim of the shell.

Mick thanks for the help. The stuff you put in bold were not questions, I know how to load a gun

Just ejecting that live round i needed help with as last time I tried the round wouldnt come out.

And in CO you don't need CCW in your car (Castle Law) Denver is the exception. Can't drive through Denver with a loaded weapon in the car unless you have CCW.
    "Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Raccoon View Post
    [B]
    how do i unload the thing completely when i get home - assuming you have a ccw since you're driving with a loaded pistol.
    I'm pretty sure that Colorado's transport laws are where it is legal for anyone of at least 18 to transport openly & loaded in a vehicle.

Jim, is it different for "out-of-staters" when we drive through? I go by this on the rare occasions I pass through Colorado.

If you travel in Colorado, you will likely cross different jurisdictions. Colorado's state legislature has clarified the law regarding transport of firearms in private vehicles. No municipality, county or other local authority may enact an ordinance that contradicts state law. Then again, Denver wouldn't be the first City to create a law that was legal...
    Last edited by OnePyroTec; 02-22-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Wayne,

it's part of the castle law. Your vehicle is part of your "castle". Still can't believe Denver was able to work around that. Meh, I don't go to Denver much anyways

As for out-of-staters, I have no idea actually. I'll have to look into that.

Wayne, you're good to go brother:

If I'm traveling through Colorado with a weapon, Can I Have it in my vehicle?

Colorado law allows a person to carry a firearm in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, if its use is for lawful protection of such a person or another's person or property. [C.R.S. 18-12-105 {2}]. Colorado law allows a person to possess a handgun in a dwelling, place of business, or automobile. However, you cannot carry the weapon concealed on or about your person while transporting it into your home, business, hotel room, etc. Local jurisdictions may not enact laws that restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon [C.R.S. 18-12-105.6].

Source: Colorado State Patrol - Colorado Gun Laws

And it says you can't conceal it (unless you have ccw) but open carry is just fine.

I understood you know how to load the gun.. but, if you put the round in without letting the slide go forward with it's normal force it won't catch the rim of the round.. if that is what you are doing and it's not ejecting the round when you pull the slide open then you need to contact Ruger.

ahh ok, thanks Mick, I'll give this a try when i get home today.

I'll put one round in the mag, load it, slide it so it chambers, then try to eject it. Hopefully I don't need to contact ruger

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

Okay first off, your Ruger is working correctly if it won't fire with the magazine out of the pistol. They have what is called a magazine safety which keeps it from firing without the magazine. (Not a feature I like)

I would say that the reason the round did not eject when you pulled the slide back was because the extractor never made it over the rim of the case when you closed the slide. The pistol is designed to pick the round up from the magazine as the slide closes. As the bolt closes the base of the case slides up the bolt face and the rim slips under the extractor. By just placing the round in the chamber and closing the bolt the extractor was behind the rim, not over the rim. Watch out, doing what you did could break the extractor.

If you want to practice clearing a loaded chamber go buy some .22LR snap caps. They are dummy rounds made for dry fire practice. Load the magazine, chamber a round. Then drop the magazine...we don't want to load another round when we plan to empty the pistol. Rack the slide and the chambered snap cap should eject smartly. Practice with snap caps and never live rounds. Dry firing will really help with trigger control and sight alignment.

Okay first off, your Ruger is working correctly if it won't fire with the magazine out of the pistol. They have what is called a magazine safety which keeps it from firing without the magazine. (Not a feature I like)

if this is for my benefit i understand that but my carry gun a Browning Hi_Power has the magazine disconnect, disconnected so I can have a round to fire or cover with while switching mags. wich means the slide won't lock open while you swap mags.

Disinterested

The entire premise of this thread frustrates me. Why would anyone think a .22 appropriate for carry? I grant you, carrying a rock, beats carrying nothing, but still...

If you're determined to carry a .22, there are better choices than the SR22. I'd much prefer a Ruger 22/45. Just sayin'. You can even go super-micro, if it's a .22 you're determined to carry.

Whatever you do, if .22 is your choice, you better make damn sure that you can place effective hits on target within 2" of the kill zone. Otherwise, you're dealing with an assailant upon whom you've just rendered a bee sting.

Don I understand that.

I bought the gun because ammo is cheap and I like to shoot. I can't really afford to practice with .50 per round ammo. Unfortunately, I can't even shoot now because there is no .22 to be found.

I'm currently saving for a 45 cal pistol. Still not sure which one. I like the Glock 21, however I feel it's a bit too big to carry. It feels so good in the hand though, and fires like a dream I'll have to go hold a bunch. Any suggestions?

Also, to anyone that has told me that a .22 is for Pu##ies, I kindly ask them to stand 7 yards away and let me take a shot

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

I have been eyeballing these ever since the guy next to us at the range showed us his .45 and AR.
    Wilson Combat | Custom Gun Models

Quote Originally Posted by StogieJim View Post

I'm currently saving for a 45 cal pistol. Still not sure which one. I like the Glock 21, however I feel it's a bit too big to carry. It feels so good in the hand though, and fires like a dream I'll have to go hold a bunch. Any suggestions?
    My preference is the Colt .45 Combat Commander with 230g Hydrashok's. For me, the Colt is a lot easier to conceal compared to a Glock. Also IMO, the .45 Hydrashok's are the best way of preventing your attacker from testifying against you.

I've posted this pic before on another thread, but here it is again...
    Wrap Your Ass in Fiberglass
    Drive a VETTE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast